SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjoseph_gw

OT - Irritating Misusages of Language

cjoseph
17 years ago

This is something of a rant. I frequently come across mis-usages of English that get under my skin and make me wonder if the writer or speaker is worth paying attention to. Sometimes it's the incorrect usage of a word, sometimes it's a fractured cliche. Even here at RP with its educated readers, I encounter mistakes that I pass over because I don't want to become the resident nitpicker. General dictionaries are no longer prescriptive and can't be relied on as a guide to proper usage. I invite everybody to post his or her most irritating misusages. I hope to learn something I didn't know to avoid similar mistakes. To be clear, I'm refering to usage, not grammar, spelling, or punctuation, which could be separate threads of their own.

A word I frequently see misused is "enormity" to mean something big. It means "a great evil" as in "the Holocaust was an enormity". Proper words for bigness are "immensity" and "enormousness" Another one is "disinterest" to mean a lack of concern. It's a synonym for "impartial" in that one doesn't have an interest in either side in a dispute. The proper terms would be "indifference" or "uninterest".

A word I really hate is "caregiver"; the right word is "caretaker" in that one is taking trouble over something or someone. When I was looking for a nursing home for my grandmother, one person I spoke to said "we'll give excellent care to your grandmother", my grouchy response was "I don't want you to give her care, I want you to take care of her" which produced a look of confusion. In any case, there was no "giving" under discussion since they wanted $2000 a month.

In the fractured cliche category, I've heard, mostly from TV political commentators, such phrases as "the proof is in the pudding" (the proof of the pudding is in the eating"), "kill the golden goose" (kill the goose that laid the golden eggs), and "sour grapes" to mean complaining about losing (it means to dismiss something as not worth having when one can't have it). I think these arise partly from laziness, but mostly from ignorance about their sources which is a good reason for more reading of Aesop, Andersen, and the Grimms in elementary school.

Scientific and technical terms, when they enter popular usage, seem to come to mean something completely different. One sophism I'm getting a little tired of hearing from creationists is that "evolution is just a theory". It deceptively or ignorantly confuses the meaning of "theory" in scientific and popular contexts. In the latter the word means "conjecture" or "speculation" while in the former it means an explanation backed up by a considerable body of evidence. Evolution was pretty well accepted as a fact among knowledgeable people before Darwin came up with the theory of natural selection. Nonetheless, I encounter articles by people who should know better writing about the "theory of evolution".

I haven't seen "light-year" used to mean an interval of time in a while, so perhaps it's...

Comments (114)