SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnymph2_gw

For those interested in the controversey: the bard & authorship

12 years ago

Opening October 28 "Anonymous", a film with the theme of the authorship of Shakespeare's plays and the Earl of Oxford, etc. It looks intriguing....

Comments (9)

• 12 years ago

An interesting piece in this morning's Telegraph about Redgrave family (mother and daughter) . . . and the film.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanessa Redgrave & Joely Richardson

• 12 years ago

Thanks, Vee, for posting that interesting article. What an interesting family the Redgraves are and how tragic the loss of Vanessa's three children. I've always admired her as a great actress, for decades....

• 12 years ago

We saw the trailer for this movie at the theater this evening when we were waiting to watch The Ides of March (which I recommend). Lots of fast cuts and confusion, a cannon or two going off. They were pitching it as an action movie, not something plot- or character-driven. I know trailers can be highly inaccurate, but they seemed to be selling everything except what I would enjoy in such a movie.

Rosefolly

• 12 years ago

I just read an interesting interview in the Sunday paper with the actor Mark Rylance (he has been wowing them in Jerusalem on Broadway) and he described the in-fighting of the 'vicious' pro and anti Shakespeare academic groups, saying it made "gypsy cage fighters look like hospital library volunteers." I enjoyed the comparison.

• 12 years ago

I planned to see this movie, but it disappeared almost instantly. Too bad; I was curious. Did anyone manage to see it?

Rosefolly

• 12 years ago

It came to this area briefly, but I missed it, too. I am planning to rent it when available on Netflix.

• 12 years ago

I am just SO fed up with this interminable, boring, fabricated controversy whereby people ('people'? What 'people'? Do they know anything about it?) dispute that Shakespeare wrote the plays! Why? And would it matter if he didn't? Somebody did, and they are utterly magnificent - what a body of work! But why, simply because he didn't go to university; simply because he was the son of a glovemaker from the provinces; simply because he was a grammar school boy (not your Eton etc millonaire progeny like what our David Cameron is, for instance) (and the bad English is Heavy Irony, for anyone who is missing an emoticon to translate my Tone), should he not have simply have been a natural with a god-given talent which passeth understanding? And Talent IS elitist!

I will never post again on this subject, I guarantee, because it is, as I said before, so utterly boring and interminable.

Dido

• 12 years ago

Three cheers for Dido!

• 12 years ago

Dido, it is my personal opinion that Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare's plays. The rest is all conspiracy theories. We humans do love our conspiracy theories! Nonetheless, I thought the movie would be fun to watch.

Rosefolly