SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_in_the_valley

Ideas or wordcraft?

Which rules?

I Was reading a blogger's review of Oryx and Crake wherein she notes "The mainstream reviews were excellent, but genre reviewers seemed underwhelmed - they seemed to be saying that Atwood was unaware of her lack of an original premise, of the tireless exploration of this ground before by less literary but equally (or more) imaginative authors."

This just fascinated me. I'd been disappointed that Oryx and Crake hadn't even been shortlisted for any science fiction awards. Of course, I'm not sure her publishers want her identified with a genre. Didn't we have a discussion recently about how a writer will sell more books if published as a genre novel, but get more respect if not? I also thought it was funny upon reflection because I've always thought critics, in any of the arts, were particularly interested in the new and the fresh. I'm also a disgruntled science fiction fan who thinks it is dismissed and unread by all but a few mainstream critics, so what do they know? (Washington Post's Michael Dirda is a science fiction fan and I reflexively wonder how good he can be in that case. How stupid is that?) Is this a case of: If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around, does it make a sound? If themes are explored ad nauseum by unskilled writers, do they really exist?

Back to Atwood. I very much like Atwood, but confess that I couldn't read even 10 pages of The Handmaid's Tale, in part because I had been there done that in science fiction, but mostly because it didn't grab me. But I freely admit she is an infinitely better writer than any previous teller of such tales.

Which is more important to you? The ideas contained in a novel or the skill with which it is told? What are the books you read because the writing is graceful and a pleasure to read? Or is graceful writing alone like cotton candy, nothing to it? Are ideas unpalatable unless leavened with style?

How outrageous is it to dismiss Atwood because she wrote on old, previously explored ideas?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES