SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindydavid4

The RP Easter Egg Hunt and Soiree

cindydavid4
16 years ago

Hello fellow readers! Its time to celebrate spring. What a better time than this weekend, when Spring and Easter come together!

We can have this at our summer cottage. Its a delightful place up in the White Mountains of Arizona. We are on top of a hill, facing several peaks. Down the hill is a meadow of grass and flowers (remember to pack your Benadryl, allergies here are real killers) Surrounding the meadow are pine trees and aspen, just the perfect spot to slip away from the kids and do some reading. We can follow the stream to the nearby lake, where we can swim if you want to brave the cold water, or go boating.

Mmm, we need food, entertainment,and of course books. Who would like to join me?

Comments (61)

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

I think there are two cots in siobahn's quarters - I may need to 'protect' the ale, too, after coloring the eggs with all those kids.
    Is anyone thinking of bringing the candy confection called 'Peeps'? Perhaps I should simply overdose on those rather than the ale.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Thanks for inviting us, Cindy. Not sure how I will arrive, yet, but I know I will be bringing a Virginia (Smithfield) ham. One of our local specialities, usually served at Easter, increasingly more popular than spring lamb, with mint.

Anyone up for dying and decorating Ukrainian-style Easter eggs? I've got a small collection I cherish, with their complex patterns....

How far are we from The Grand Canyon?

• Related Discussions

Any tips on how to pick pole beans?

Q

Comments (25)
    Will yellow wax beans as tasteful, tender, and productive as the more common greens pole such as Blue Lake? I tried the purple italian ones this year, but somehow alphids love them so they went to the compost real early (not one alphid on the blue lake). If there's any variety of yellow beans that meet these criteria, I'm going to grow some next year too! No lumber yeards around here. I guess I'll stick to my adhoc version of the oilpainter bag.
    ...See More

Yellow help!!

Q

Comments (59)
    It only took me a year to find a yellow with the hues I was looking for (what I used to call undertones). I have wood trim/floors with warm orange appearance. Last year, I accidentally chose a yellow paint with greenish tendencies and it was ICK with the floors etc. And dreadful at night. I have now found a delightful yellow that play up the apricot and it is lovely with the floors!! My wood in my house is something like this attached photo below and the colour of paint I have chosen is something like this same attached photo. Delightful combination imho. One piece of advice that I learned along the way: Not only does one have to paint test boards and move them around the house, it is not until one tests the paint on large pieces of wall that one will really know how your own house reflects and works with light. Paint colours that looked to be warm yellows with tendency towards apricot on the poster boards, then played rather green when on the actual wall. I learned that my house plays up green like crazy, so I had to move way over to a yellow with heaps of orange/red (almost an apricot paint tbh) to get it to show creamy yellow to creamy apricot-yellow in my house - in someone else's house this same colour might look way too orange. It has been a steep learning curve for me to choose the right yellow. For example, yellows that people on here said showed no green in any light in their house (some of which are mentioned in this thread), showed lots of green tendency in my house (BM Windham Cream, BM Vellum etc. - they showed not a hint of pink or orange on my walls but were greenish yellows). Every room is different and you have to learn how your room plays up colour. This is a photo (not my house!!) of a room with orange undertones in the wood that I think looks fabulous with yellow paint with the apricot tendency to it (vs. green). This is the look that I prefer with warm orangey woods, but it is personal taste of course. And this is how my new paint and floors will look once the work is completed. This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 19:53
    ...See More

Cookery - Recipe Books & Questions Arising

Q

Comments (91)
    Vee, you haven't missed much from never eating in a McDonald's, KFC, etc. The draw to such places is, I think, the predictability -- you know pretty much what you are getting when you enter such establishments, no matter that it's cardboard food, in both taste and detritus. However, there are subtle differences in predictability in such franchises, from nation to nation especially, but also from state to state in the US, sometimes. A Maine McDonald's will sell their local favorite, the lobster roll, while an Oklahoma McDonald's will have, say, a special barbecue pork (boneless) riblet sandwich. In the opposite place these sandwiches would languish and wouldn't stay on the menu. The rubbish angle: Well, at least the old-fashioned fish 'n' chips shops recycled out-of-date newspapers. But I wonder about the ingestion of newsprint ink; didn't some of it dissolve and get onto the food? I once saw a blubberburger on a menu in Alaska, but I didn't try it because I was afraid that it would contain exactly that: whale blubber. Scotch Eggs in the US used to be more common than nowadays. They were often a staple of school cafeterias, which generally meant poorly prepared and tasteless. Only about one kid in five really enjoyed the things; the rest grumbled and tore off the sausage part and mashed the egg part into mush so that it would look like they had at least tried to eat it. As with anything that gets a poor reputation, the Scotch egg lost favor, I'm afraid, in the US. I laugh at the fried onions at English BBQs because the English, who eschew garlic, do love their onions it seems. I had one English flatmate who seemed forever to be 'baking' (her term) onions -- nothing but onions in a pan in the oven. I have to admit, though, I got used to the aroma and was more than once glad to partake of the onions.
    ...See More

Springing Forward

Q

Comments (41)
    I agree with cindydavid that we have lost something in the shift towards more literature from other countries and traditions. Yes, it's a good idea to learn more about other cultures, countries, and traditions. However, this shouldn't mean that what used to be taught should now be excluded. I don't know -- I think I might be from a different age but correction and being left back sounds, to me, to be more correct than being allowed to continue without earning the right to do so. I guess to me it's more of a reward/effort thing -- if you put in the effort, then there's a reward. If you get the reward without the effort, then that cheapens the reward or, worse, gives the student a feeling of entitlement to something he may not be entitled to. I do realize that maybe the whole issue is that of using a single approach to all students. Not all students learn the same way nor do they learn at the same pace. Perhaps it would be best if a tailored approach was taken for each student. Of course, finding the resources for such an approach opens up a whole new can of worms ..... And I also agree with astrokath. In talking to that teacher friend of mine, I've realized that her hands were tied with respect to a lot of things regarding the students. I don't blame her (or any of the other teachers) for the results -- the policies and direction from their superiors (and the politicians who directed those superiors) should shoulder the blame. Rambo -- good luck with the teacher's college. I have another friend who is entering the teaching profession this September and she's really looking forward to it. My other teacher friend still loves teaching -- she's just getting annoyed at all the politics that comes with the job.
    ...See More
  • cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hee, I can't guareentee insect or pollen free. You definitely might need to bring some meds with you as everything is blooming right now (it is spring, after all). But while our cabin is rustic, it is clean and comfortable. A young lady comes in to dust frequenly, andhave air conditioning so that we don't have to open the windows, keeping the pollen indoors to a minimum. The floor to ceiling windows upstairs give you a lovely view of the clear blue skies, the trees and the lake, so you can enjoy the area without being out in it. These windows also have window seats, and I plan to place many books related to the season in easy reach (see below link for examples). I'll also put out Silent Spring for those who want a serious and sobering read. I'll also be sure to add my entire collection of Edward Abbey's works including Monkey Wrench Ganng.

Also in easy reach is a small fridge stocked with some California wine, and local bottled water.

We have three sleeping options: one is in the back rooms, with a comfy queen bed, a fire place (yes our evenings do get a bit chilly), and a bathroom in each one. We'll set up the kids in the large play room, with cots and blankets.

Another option is outdoors. The Arizona skies at nighttime are spectacular. I'll have plenty of sleeping bags available as well as tents if you prefer.

Final option is a resort a mile or so away. When they first started building it we were up in arms, thinking it was going to change our lifestyle out here. But they've done a good job in making it fit right in, with horse trails and camping areas. But indoors there are wonderful comfy rooms for those who must have room service, as well as a full service spa and salon. Heck, with all of the people staying in and outside the cabin I might just check in there!

Again, I'm glad we aren't doing this at our desert ranch - its supposed to be 90 on Sunday.....

Here is a link that might be useful: spring reads

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We are about 8 hours from the GC, south rim. Yes, Az is a very very big state. But, if you want to stay after Sunday, the drive up there is lovely, as you go through the Sedona Red Rock area. Unfortunately our state has little in the way of trains, so you'll need to rent a car. But if enough people are interested, I'll see if my pilot friend can fly us there. He has room for eight, but if we are very nice to him he might just be able to make a couple of flights.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grand Canyon National Park

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Ok, how about some Canadian back bacon and some maple syrup? I can bring those, maybe for breakfast?

Oh, and how about some Irish whisky? Connemara Single Malt tastes quite good! And if it's warm, how about ..... some mint juleps from our brethren from down south?

And since it IS Easter, how about some Deviled Eggs? And some Egg Salad (maybe with a bit of spice...)?

Ribs! I can make some ribs on the slow cooker -- stick the ribs in the slow cooker, slather on the BBQ sauce, throw in some minced garlic, some chopped onions, and hot peppers and you're off and running after 8 hours on the low setting.

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

Where are my manners? Yes, thank you, cindy, for this gracious invitation. We are also shoveling snow here, so the idea of a warm, sunny, dry day sounds mighty fine.

Great idea, woodnymph! The kids will have to be happy with the standard Easter egg dyes, but maybe the adults who are so inclined can gather around the table in cindy's large and well supplied craft room and make Ukranian Easter eggs - with cindy's permission, of course. Will you teach?

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

thyrkas, yes, I have some interesting patterns to bring, so am willing (as an amateur) to teach the Ukrainian artof egg dying. I think we also will need some hot wax.

dyno, since I am coming from the "South", I will try to rustle up some Mint Juleps! You must be needing some relief from your Canadian arctic chill....

I've not been on a horse in many years, but will bring along my jodphurs, boots, and chaps, for all that cactus....

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Vee-spa?
    Not that we'll stay there the whole time-having massages, facials, nails, hair......no-we'll just sleep there. Rest of the time at the cabin. Unless it's too crowded at the cabin, in which case, I'm sure that we can have breakfast at the spa, then ride out-or maybe ride out after lunch so we don't wake everyone up too early-but evening meal (here it's supper, other places it's dinner...semantics!) we'll definitely be there for the evening meal and all those lovely beverages-I am bringing the makings of chocolate martinis and a coconut liquer that my great uncle Aloysius makes to a seriously secret recipe...if the bottle doesn't explode on the way over the mountains.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Ever seen a peep in the microwave?

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

cc- No! I have never seen a Peep in the microwave! Should I send the children out of the room as I, er, conduct this scientific experiment?
    I did catch a glimpse of an article in the local paper showing ingenious ways to use Peeps in one home decor, though. Do you think we should send a design team to cindy's retreat home with a truckload of the dear little things?

I found a website for those interested in Peeps as an object of scientific research:

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.peepresearch.org/

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

If your children are affectionately attached to their peeps, yes, send them out of the house...but if they are like mine were when they were children, (always up for a good 'science experiment') then gather round and nuke one! Just keep your hand near the "pause/cancel" button...there's only a nanosecond between "cool" and "kaboom!" Safety goggles all around, of course. This could be an alternative activity after egg-dying while the eggs are being hidden. Better than an Easter Beagle video!

And on a side note-anyone else getting the "you all ready posted to this thread, dope" message, even if there are others' posts in between? It's beginning to annoy me.

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

OK, I'll bring the Peeps! I was surprised by the colors they now come in, it was strictly neon yellow back in the day. I'll bring purple, blue, pink ... I think I've even seen them in red. They're rather off-putting in that color, but the kids won't mind. And my DKs would LOVE to see a few Peeps explode in the microwave (their current ambition is to be part of the "Mythbusters" TV show when they grow up). Cindy, guard your kitchen appliances with your life! I'll also bring some traditional hot cross buns from my local bakery, and a bag or two (or three) of the Cadbury chocolate eggs. Can't have an Easter party without those.

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A correction, I just double checked, the mileage from Payson (our nearest town) to the Grand Canyon is 170 miles. I was calculating from Phoenix. Sedona is a breezy 80 miles away and is worth every mile. If you are interested in shopping, this is the place to go. And if you desire an Easter Sunrise Service, the Cathedral Rock area of Sedona usually has one or two going on. Quite an awe inspiring way to see the sun rise, any day of the year.

>Anyone up for dying and decorating Ukrainian-style Easter eggs?

Oh yes, thank you for your offer to teach! I'll be sure plenty of tables are available outside along with wax for enjoying this activity (we do have a large craft room that is just filled, but its so gorgeous outside, its a shame to be indoors if you know what I mean. But thats up to you guys)

And oh yes, please bring regional drinks. We can compare them to our Corona beer and Tequila that we have trucked in from Mexico. My husband makes some mean Margaritas with the latter - a perfect drink for relaxing on a cool spring evening. Those drinks will be wonderful with the lamb I plan on cooking outdoors, Greek style. I might even have some Greek musicians from the area come and play for us, and teach us a few dance steps around the fire (Zorba the Greek, anyone?)

And yeah I get those messages if I forget to change the subject header. It is annoyin

Here is a link that might be useful: Cathedral Rock, Sedona AZ

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Mmmmmm...... Beeeerrrrr..... (Oops. Sorry, I was channeling Homer Simpson there for a bit.)

Ok, I'll bring an assortment of beers. From the Maritimes, I'll bring Alexander Keith's Pale Ale, Keith's Red, Alpine (for some reason, I like Alpine), and Schooner. From Ontario, I'll bring some Algonquin Honey Brown (nice, mildly sweet beer), and maybe some Sleeman's, both regular and honey brown.

Oh, and can someone from the Northeast bring some Sam Adams beer? And, of course, those from across the pond MUST bring some Guinness. Maybe some Speckled Hen?

Ahhhh........ and I'll also rustle up some San Miguel beer from the Philippines. Maybe even some Tsingtao from China!

Also, I'll bring some fixings for some nice martinis -- both regular AND dirty! For gin martinis, one can never go wrong with Bombay Sapphire gin or, even better, Hendrick's gin.

For some finger foods, I'll rustle up (i.e. buy) some stuffed olives -- goat cheese stuffed olives, garlic stuffed olives, spicy (ie pepper) stuffed olives, almond stuffed olives ..... And maybe even some dimsum dumplings and spring rolls just for something different. Let's not forget the smoked salmon pate.

(Ok, I'm getting hungry AND thirsty!)

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

Would it be possible to organize a ride on the horses to the Sunrise Service at Cathedral Rock?

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thats a good 80 miles away, not sure we'd make it in time for sunrise! :) However, we can always take the horses by trailer, then ride to the actual spot.

Ok, so hows this sound - Saturday we arrive and relax by the lake. In the evening, dinner with all of the splendid food and drink, plus a local band that knows how to do country music and blue grass the way it was meant to be played - fiddles, banjos, guitars so we'll have plenty of dancing followed later by a dj with a wealth of CDs at his fingertips.

Those who have recovered from the evening before, or, those who haven't gone to bed yet, can meet at our friend's house for a trip to Sedona. We'll stay for the sunrise service, and then go shopping! If you are adventurous, we can also go on the Pink Jeep Tour, which takes us on a half hour, hour, or two hour trip up and among the Red Rocks.

In the meantime, those staying behind will have a splendid pancake breakfast with all of the fixings. At noon, the kids will go egg hunting, the adults can go back to the lake, go horse back riding, or just crash in their rooms. We will also have Ukranian egg making set up.

For those who didn't go to Sedona, you are welcomed to spend the night and go the next morening

Oh this will be fun!!

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

I spent yesterday baking so I'll bring the babka (sort of like a drier challah, but with a braid across the top) and poppyseed and apricot rolls (rozki or malkovniki) along with the pickled eggs and white and red horseradish. Obviously, I'll be participating in the Ukranian egg-making.

It is cold and windy in Maryland today so I'm ready for some Arizona warmth. My book contribution will be a small cookbook of with recipes from Carpatho-Rusyn families who've settled in NE PA; heavy reading material it is not, but I'm pretty sure it will be unique to the gathering.

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

I'll help with the preparations .... but only if mint juleps are plentiful and free flowing! ;-)

Sedona souns awesome .... but only if I'm actually alive and somewhat functioning from the night before .... (assuming I actually get into bed!)

Late night or all night parties are so much fun! Well, as long as one remembers most of it. ;-)

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Sedona is beautiful-I can't wait to see it again. The rocks, the botanicals, the shops......

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been there hundreds of time, but it doesn't matter - once you round the corner and you see the first red rock in your face, its such a surprise and delight just like the first time.

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

BTW - where is Dido? I have been watching for her, the dragon and the ale all evening. Who else was she picking up on the way? Don't tell me she and the dragon and Martin drank the Wadworths 6X before leaving the UK!

• veer
    16 years ago

cece a spa sounds most decadent and delightful. And as this is virtual land the fact that I never even started losing the lbs as I promised myself at the New Year, no-one will even notice the wobbling flabby flesh.
    I don't think I would care for a mud/seaweed/clay/volcanic fall-out experience, but a bit of pummeling by a beautifully proportioned young man might just hit the spot. After that I might be up to sharing the large tray of Greek baklava my DD gave me for Easter. The one advantage of living in a very 'ethnic' part of N London must be the variety of food available!

In 'real time' I think Dido is tied up with family over the holiday.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

I have missed this whole thread from being at my sister's house yesterday for a combination birthday bash and early Easter dinner and then church this morning.

I could have brought my Elegant Lemon Cake Roll to the party for dessert, but they ate all of it yesterday. And chocolate! Lots of chocolate! E.g., Russell Stover coconut cream eggs, chocolate covered, of course. And marshmallow eggs covered with dark chocolate. I love Easter candy. Gosh, and I just finished losing the extra pounds from Christmas and Valentine's Day.

My sister had dipped her Peeps' feet in melted chocolate. It improved them immensely. Her cake was chocolate with TWO jars of Nutella and some chopped hazelnuts in it.

Sorry to have missed the soiree. I'm sure it was fabulous.

• dido1
    16 years ago

Oh - Friends - I am SO sorry to have missed this lovely-sounding thrash! My dragon was out-of-action (a puntuctured wing - took ages to sort) and then I was tied up with family (as Vee said) and now I'm... well... I'm tired and emotional, subsequently, after everyone left and snow came down most unexpectedly and - Oh Dear. Cave entrance is blocked.... having to get the local Council in to free the place up... and it's Easter Monday tomorrow...

Sorry, Martin - and I hope you managed to get the beer over. Thinking of getting a New Dragon. But how can I let Grendal go? He's frigeting now - so must see to him.

Nos da, boys bach.

Dido

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, thanks for everyone who came. From the number of exhausted but smiling folks who left this afternoon, I think it was another successful soiree!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Sorry I arrived so late, folks. But at least I am in good company, as I missed Dido's Dragon....Actually, in reality, I was not able to get near a computer from Saturday noon until Monday morning.

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Sorry for the lateness of my appearance and my appearance as a whole but the party was .... quite awesome. Of course, I'm still suffering the after effects of an amazing party. And Cindy, I apologize for the chandelier -- doing a Tarzan impersonation off of it may not have been the smartest idea.

I blame the Irish whiskey and the mint juleps. (At the very least, the kids had a blast. It's not every day you see someone do a swan dive from a chandelier to a rope on a tree into the lake!)

It reminded me of some of my college parties .... sans police escort, of course.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

dyno, well, at least you got well thawed out from your arctic chill.... ;-)

• veer
    16 years ago

I had wondered if Dyno got properly thawed out, what with wearing that fetching little Tarzan leopard-skin number. Did you hear the realistic howl as he fell into the BBQ?
    I was glad to have the opportunity of buying one of those Apache hand-made baskets. It came with its own Apache brave and on our return my husband was most accommodating about him and has employed him to shoot the thousands of rabbits that plague our garden.
    Dido, once your dragon starts frigeting he's ready for the crusher, especially if he is the old 'B series' with up-and-over horns and a low-slung chassis.
    Now I just happen to know an old witch who is having to part with her newer version 'C series' two-tone fire-breather. A nice little runner with just 5k on the clock . . .only used it for Sunday covens.
    Meet me at the phone box with the readies in used notes and we can do business.

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

I didn't need to thaw out -- I was properly insulated and warmed up with the Irish whiskey, the Spanish coffee, and the mint juleps!

(And thanks for whoever fished me out of the lake -- us Canadians can get a tad carried away when we're in warmer climes. And I did NOT need the mouth to mouth resuscitation. But it was well appreciated, especially from the fetching lass who was giving it. Wait, it WAS a lass providing the service, right?!)

The food was ........ quite awesome, as usual.

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

Yes, thank you, cindy. A very delightful time - my tan is the envy of the neighborhood. And those colored Easter eggs you foisted upon me - I mean, let me take home are, well, starting to crack open. I seem to hear faint scratching and peeping. Should I be alarmed?

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Perhaps you should contact Dido and she could foster the little dragons for you...after all, everyone knows that colored Easter eggs enclose baby dragons.

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

Baby dragons... ah! That explains the faint sulfurous odor emanating from the Apache hand-made basket that contains the eggs. (Sorry, vee - didn't think you'd miss just one, little basket)

• cindydavid4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

veer, I do hope that the Apache Native American came on his own steam, and that your DH pays him very very well for his expertise.

Well, I wondered about some of those eggs when we were hiding them. They felt warm, as if they had just been taken out of the boiling pot.

We've been meaning to take that chandleir out anyway. The former owners were trying to fancy the place up, and it just looks out of place. I think I'll use the crstals and make some sun catchers for our windows upstairs.

Did anyone make it to Sedona? I thought I saw someone staggering in after taking the Pink Jeep Tour - apparently she didn't realize that she selected the hour jaunt. Oh my...

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Ok, I don't think I took the Sedona trip but .... I don't know. I COULD have been on the trip but, given the state of consciousness I was in, I think I missed it all!

Still, a most enjoyable time was had by all! And I'm glad I could help with the renovations! ;-)

• dido1
    16 years ago

Vee!

Aaaaah! Now, I know he's on the downhill path and that frigeting is never a good sign with dragons, but..... he's a 'poor thing, but mine own' and I have to stick by him. He's a pussycat really.

Furthermore, he can't be So bad: last night he took off across the valley, full of sound and fury, to where a natty little thing hangs out - all gold leaf and curly ears - and you should have seen the fire emanating from her cave - and I mean, All Night! In the end, fire engines from all over Wales turned out before the whole thing got totally out of control! He came limping back, then, at about 7.00am and I haven't been able to wake him since.

Anyway, if any little coloured eggs ensue from this conflagration, maybe I could slip Thyrkas's eggs in with them. As Cece says, it sounds as though they might contain little d.s....And then, V., maybe we'll get some newer versions that we can raise here next to Grendal: he's got a few tricks up his nostrils still that not a lot of people (or dragons) know about.

Glad to hear that the party was wonderful.

Dido

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Dido, could you send one of those baby Grendals my way? (Don't know what the postage would be to Virginia, but having taken care of a pet iguana at one time, this should be a piece of cake for me!). I've always wanted a pet dragon and the fire breathing in winter should help warm up my cold, drafty house....

• dido1
    16 years ago

Mary,

But of course. I know you've always been a great supporter of our Grendal and I know you would cherish and rear a baby one. If the eggs hatch, I'll choose you a good one and train it up to control its fire-breathing - they can be quite dangerous without meaning to be at all. A few well-chosen syllables iin finest Welsh, breathed up the nostrils usually do the trick.

On getting it over to you...... perhaps I could fly on Grendal and tow yours across the pond?

Dido.

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Ok, is dragon breath toxic or not? I'm thinking that I might adopt one as a pet AND as a substitute for my BBQ. Of course, I'd have to train it to sear my steaks to medium rare to rare.....

By the way, how large do these things get? I've got a small townhouse and I barely have time for my car in my garage! I've got a nice, large basement but I don't know if the thing can get through the door! Do they have smaller versions, like a mini-Pinscher?

• veer
    16 years ago

Dyno, the advantages of keeping a dragon in Ottawa must outweigh the carbon footprint issue. As the amount of methane they emit (from both ends) will mean the City Council will never let you drive your car again, so it could live in the garage.
    And on the plus side, think of the snow-clearing it could carry out.
    Open the front door after a snow-storm, a quick blast from those fiery nostrils and the road is clear right up to the Rideau Canal. Mind those skaters . . .sorry swimmers.

Dido, really you should get that disgusting smelly old thing 'seen to'. It's bad enough having to put up with the noise of cats in the garden. The racket and shaking we had to endure last night must have registered on the Richter Scale. No use chucking a bucket of water over them, it just turns straight to steam.
    There's an idea for Dyno; use the dragon to power your central heating.

• dido1
    16 years ago

Dynomutt,

Pho - hang on a minute whilst I make a calculation or two... or three... I think I might have to go away and write a General Guide to Dragons and how to Use them (they won't let you Abuse them, of course).

Dragon breath isn't toxic, as such, but it's not always lovely - as when they've been eating old car tyres, or ancient oil sumps. DON'T keep one in your garage, whatever, because it'll set fire to your car and probably thereby blow up your house; though you could probably get a smallish one in (what's a 'mini Pincscher', by the way?) - but how wide is the stairway to your basement?

Dido

• dido1
    16 years ago

Vee,

I think we overlapped because your message wasn't there when I posted last night.

Didn't realise you could hear his carryings-on from so far away! Sorry. Bad Boy! Ii have told him, but he's still asleep - and purring!

Dido

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Hmmmm...... on second thought, I think you guys are right. Dragons aren't exactly for the faint of heart (or the small of house!).

I'll stick to the mold I have. I always follow the old saying ..... The mold is harmless unless provoked. ;-)

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Dido, will have to check into Customs duties re importing baby dragons here. What a cool way to learn a bit of the Welsh language. I meant to ask you, can it be taught to walk on a leash?

Oh, by the way, a mini Pincher is a smaller version of the large Doberman Pincher breed of dog.

Vee, ROTFLOL, as I read your post....

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

dido - SOS re: Hatchling dragons, situation dire! - STOP - authorities knocking on door -STOP -
    managed to scoop all but one hatchling into Martin's empty barrel of Wadworths 6X (must speak to siobhan about that)- STOP -
    barrel addressed to "Papa Grendal Dragon, Esq., Wales, UK" - STOP - Grendal's progenitive exploits well known in U.S. - STOP - escaping to post office via back door - STOP - advise you to expect delivery soon - STOP.

• dynomutt
    16 years ago

Hmmmm....... methinks thrykas is having some dragon issues. Better send the barrel via FEDEX overnight delivery. You don't want a barrel full of annoyed and hungry dragons arriving at your doorstep!

(Besides I think the Royal Mail people would probably appreciate it. They may not have their employees covered against being consumed (or singed) by baby dragons!)

Hey, if you're having problems getting them to the UK, Canada is only across the border! I can take care of the hatchlings until they're ready to fly across the pond to visit their daddy! Besides, I can use the help in clearing the snow and ice on my driveway -- I'll get them to breath fire until it melts (the ice, not the driveway).

;-)

• veer
    16 years ago

thyrkas, it was lucky you posted a copy of your telegram here as they are no longer used by the Royal Mail in the UK and Dido would have been shocked to find a barrel of small, very hungry dragons on her doorstep. FEDEX doesn't cross the Atlantic.
    In fact over here I think dragons might be an endangered species which will give them a higher priority over mere humans.
    I just read of a TRUE case in the local paper concerning the first cousin to the dragon, the Great Crested Newt.

A family (human) had been flooded out of their home during the bad weather of last summer. Months of delays by builders followed and then the area flooded again, this time from a blocked stream.
    It has been discovered that among the detritus of the 'blockage' is a family of Great Crested Newts which cannot be disturbed because of their protected status. 'English Nature' also noted several birds nesting in the area. So the unfortunate family must stay in temporary accommodation until the birds have flown and the GC Newts have decided to move on "contra bonos mores" as the poet might have said.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Dyno, it's a deal! If the baby fire-breathers can be got to Canada from the UK, maybe we can smuggle one over the border to the US. Hope your snow removal goes smoothly....

Dido, one more time -- what sort of food should I stock up on??? Must I construct a cave for sleeping quarters?

;-)

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

Dragonflies, of course, Woodnymph, for food. What else are they for?

• dido1
    16 years ago

They eat anything - particularly and especially if it's combustible, Mary: if you've got an old coal mine handy, for instance, it'lll happily root around and about for weeks at a time. (Grendal isn't happy that Tower Colliery, just across the valley, are closing down). Dragonflies, Carolyn (and fancy you thinking of them!), are a sort of desert, or a special little titbit for Sunday lunch. They don't fill much space but they taste nice, so I've been told.

If you get too many dragons hatching, why not post them off to China? (They can't all land here - we'd soon be a scorched desert!) I gather they've got a mutated form of the Welsh ones there.

Be in touch tomorrow - getting late in these parts,, and I need all the sleep I can get after the Easter goings-on of our scaly friend!

Dido

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville