SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdie_gw

Any tips on how to pick pole beans?

bluebirdie
13 years ago

After spending a good 20 minutes on picking green beans this morning, I decided it's finally time to ask for help. Here's my problem:

The first round of pole beans were only three plants. I was able to trim the top at about 6 ft, and keep them neat enough for easy picking.

When all my friends told me their pole beans were doing poorly this year, I planted 10 more in the 2nd round so I can share them with friends. Because this time the trellis is about 7ft, I can't reach the top very well due to a shoulder injury. The stems wrapped around and became so dense, finding and picking them takes at least 20 min every time. The fact these are green (blue lake) does not help.

A online search rendered a tip to snap the green beans while picking. Because I often give them away, this does not seem practical. I use a sharp scissor to cut off the beans.

Since this is the only the 2nd year I grow pole beans, I now have great respect for people who grow a row of pole beans. How do you guys usually pick your pole beans? Any tips on making a lazy and wounded gardener's life a bit easier?

Comments (25)