SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT....Contentment, what is it?

yoyobon_gw
11 years ago

This is off topic in a way but I'd love to hear from you.

Books fill up our senses in so many ways and create , for me, a real feeling of contentment.

In these winter months I love nothing better than to have a challenging shawl going on my knitting needles and more beautiful yarns ready to go for the next one in my basket, a good book and a cup of hot chai latte.
No worries or fears......all's well with my world...for me that is contentment.

What makes you content?

Comments (14)

• salix
    11 years ago

Yarns - from books or for knitting. Love them both!

• rouan
    11 years ago

Yoyobon, I am totally with you on the good book and hot chai latte! I'd rather have a chai latte than dessert (and that's saying a lot, I like dessert LOL).

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rouan ,,,,Yes!
    My brand is Tazo and I have to stock pile it for fear of running out !

• veer
    11 years ago

Contentment for me is going to bed with a hot water-bottle and a good book.

Someone please tell me about chai latte . . . I live an unsophisticated life in the English countryside.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Veer,

Chai latte is basically a spiced black tea mixed with hot milk.

The brand I love, Tazo, is a mixture of black tea, black pepper, , cardamom, cinnamon, ginger root, cloves, star anise, sugar, honey, and vanilla.

It is sold in a parmalat container as a concentrate and mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with milk.

I heat it up in the micro and settle into my own personal bliss !!

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

A good book, my chaise longue, and a cup of spiced tea or hot cocoa, and I'm set for the afternoon--or evening.

Oh, and a little Easter candy. I love Easter candy: marshmallow eggs covered in dark chocolate, Russell Stover coconut cream eggs, milk chocolate rabbits, Starburst jellybeans, Hershey Kisses wrapped in their spring colored foil, pastel M&Ms, whatever.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Carolyn,

I'm smackin' you a big "high five" for spelling your chaise longue correctly !
    Brava....

A giant gold foil-covered chocolate star :0)

• rouan
    11 years ago

Yoyobon, we are definitely on the same page! Tazo is my favorite brand too.

Carolyn, and I agree about the candy too, although my taste runs mostly to dark chocolate, almost anything dark chocolate will do just fine. :)

• friedag
    11 years ago

Books are a given, but I want some music to add to my contentment. My son recently gave me a 'dinosaur' iPod that I'm having a blast with, loading it with every song that I can think of that I've listened to and liked in the past sixty-plus years -- no garbage, just stuff that I can groove to.

If I lived in a cold climate, I probably would like something hot to drink; but I don't, so my favorite thing is munching on soft ice. My DH got me a soft-ice maker for Christmas, so now I can eat bucketsful while I'm reading. My other favorite nibble is a big, slurpy dill pickle (whole cucumber) -- the kind I got at the picture show when I was a kid.

I'll go for chocolate, too: I adore Cherry Mashes and Valomilks. Do you know/remember those? I hadn't had any for years until I discovered that I could order them from The Vermont Country Store, a place that deals in retro goods of all sorts but my weakness is the candies they offer. They will only ship chocolate candy during the winter, so I buy large batches in January and force myself to make them last as long as I can.

Otherwise, contentment for me is jabbering with my granddaughter who is two.

• carolyn_ky
    11 years ago

Oh, Frieda, I adore Valomilks. Here, we can get them at Cracker Barrel and at half the price that Vermont Country Store sells them for. Today I've been on jelly beans, and I've just made two loaves of Hawaiian Banana Bread which has an 8-oz. can of crushed pineapple in it. It's still too hot to slice.

Thanks, Yoyobon, for the compliment on my spelling. Many, many years ago at age 11 I won third prize in the county spelling bee, and I was a secretary for 45 years, so proofreading and spelling are second nature to me.

• veer
    11 years ago

yoyo, thank you for the chai latte explanation I imagine it to be something of an acquired taste.

Contentment, for me, never contains food. Brought up in Post War austerity it was always three meals a day and NO snacks between . . .even ice-sucking if that counts as a 'snack' and had been available in days of yore.
    In fact I'd rather not think about ice as we are still going through a very long cold winter with temps hardly ever reaching the dizzy heights of the '40's F . .. but we have just had the driest two weeks (no rain) since March 2012, so not all bad. ;-)

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I feel very contented when working in the garden, whether pruning, planting or weeding, I find weeding to be especially soothing. Even better, the result of these efforts is an increase in the beauty that surrounds me.

Certain kinds of needlework breed contentment in me, hand sewing in particular, unless of course things are not going well. In that case I get very tense.

Long walks where my mind can wander at the same time as I enjoy the landscape make me feel at peace with the world, unless I am sore, overly tired, or hungry. Physical discomfort cancels out contentment for me.

And yes, a really good book. Better yet, a shelf full of good books awaiting my attention.

Rosefolly

• woodnymph2_gw
    11 years ago

Count me in with rosefolly and frieda, with a need for good music and the active life. Contentment for me, apart from reading, means a leisurely walk in the deep forest or along the seashore, losing myself in nature. For the quieter times of contemplation, classical Spanish guitar music, along with a glass of good wine....

• ellyphant
    11 years ago

A warm fire and a stack of books works for me!