SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awblessmesturgeon

cautionary tale

awblessmesturgeon
19 years ago

upon passing the pond today on route to the shed for tools as a tap in the house had packed up i spotted something amiss. on closer inspection i still wasnt sure so the nets came off and sure enough i saw what appeared to be a dead 14" sturgeon at about 2'6" depth. d:( went and got the net from the shed to release the corpse and it moved! took about 10 minutes to free the captive from a watery grave of string algea. dropped him in a tank of pond water and he flipped, flopped and hung upside down. so i dropped a bubbler in and held him over the bubbles, wooshed him back and forth in the tank - he swam then floated upside down again!!!! this continued for 1/2 hour or so when he seemed to come round. left him to swim about the tank for an hour or so until dark then re introduced him to the pond and all seems to be well. my cautionary point is this - be very careful or what you "cant" see through the net. i would have sworn blind there was no significant string algea in the pond at the moment! especially check bubbler streams its so hard to see and deadly if you have smallish sturgeon! i was lucky - tomorrow would have been too late! jo o/

Comments (9)

Sponsored