SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stewartuk

Bioforce 4500 difficult to re-assemble

StewartUK
19 years ago

Hi fellow pondies

I have a proble with the Bioforce 4500 that is the main filtration system for my pond (about 800 gals).

I bought this last June, and while I'm not over-impressed with the quality of the product it has until now done a reasonable job, and I've only needed to dismantle the unit and clean the sponges twice a week. Reassembling was no problem. Now, however I'm having to clean the filters at least every other day, and last week it was almost every day! Nothing has changed in the pond - the water's reasonably clear. I did a partial water change last Saturday (about 5-10%) because I'm going away on holiday for a week at the weekend. Now, when I try to re-assemble the filter it's suddenly become very difficult to get the 'head'holding the UV lamp to reattach to the base unit. It's as if the top has expanded (or warped) so it doesn't push down cleanly onto the base unit without a struggle.

I tried lubricating the O-ring with water-soluble gel, but this made it only marginally easier to assemble the filter - it still needed much more force than normal.

This is bad enough for me to cope with, but whilst on holiday someone else will be keeping an eye on the pond, and it looks likely that the outflow from the filter will become so poor that the unit will have to be dismantled so that the sponges can be cleaned. Having dismantled the thing it may then prove impossible to re-assemble, which would be a nightmare in this hot weather. Has anyone else come across this problem? It's got so bad that I'm thinking next year I'll just replace the filter and get a new Oase (or similar) where the sponges can be cleaned by reverse flushing in situ. I would think the whole filtration unit would only have to be dismantled every fortnight or so -great!

As a precaution I've rigged up a spare pump to aid oxygenation of the water, and I have an air pump that can also help out, but going away knowing the filtration could fail is very unsettling!

Any advice about the filter would be most welcome. Has anyone else come across this?

I did a search but couodn't find anything like this on this Site.

Thanks a bundle.

Stew

Comments (39)

Sponsored