SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Similar books? (science theme)

netla
11 years ago

I have read a number of books lately that featured science/research that have left me with a thirst for more. The books in question were:
Dry Storeroom No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum by Richard Fortey, which covered, from a historical angle, such varied subjects as archaeology, palaeontology, geology, zoology and other subjects related to the museum (plus a lot of gossip);
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elizabeth Tova Bailey is a mixture of memoir and natural history;
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean covers chemistry and physics and runs through every element in the periodic table;
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach (the title explains the subject);
Mauve: How One Man Invented a Color that Changed the World by Simon Garfield features (among the history and biography) chemistry explained in terms simple enough for even me (who have never has a single lesson in in in my life) to understand.

Now I would like to read more, but not from a purely academic angle. What I'm looking for are books which, like the ones mentioned above, combine academic subjects like science, social science or mathematics with human interest.

Do you have any recommendations for me?

Comments (14)