SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chippewacat

Spring has spawned!

chippewacat
19 years ago

The lads have been gathering for about a month, and the girls joined last week. This morning there were several clumps of frog spawn, and it sounds like another very noisy night! It's only early february, and far to early for my liking. It takes ages for them to develop as it does stay cold until much later.

But now the other ritual begins, picking out plants to order for the pond. I have a problem as I have plenty of green and cover and it now looks quite lush over the summer, but not enough colour. It's a 'wild' pond as opposed to a formal one. I have water forget-me-nots through most of the summer, but they are very small. The iris's are growing in number, but they are rather short lived. There are marsh marigolds and arum lilies, but they tend to be a bit on the white side I am partial to blues and yellows. The pond is shady midday, with a lot of sun in the summer early and late in the day. I have tried water violets, but the snails seem to love them before they get a chance to bloom!

Anyone have any favourites they can suggest, and or ways of keeping the colour for longer?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets