SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muezzin

Something keeps eating my plants! Please, someone help!

muezzin
20 years ago

I need your help.

I live near Sydney, right on a national park. Periodically I get caterpillars, possums and wallabies. I think I get snails too, although I haven't been able to pinpoint damage done by them yet. I bought Dipel for the caterpillars, and it seemed to work well. I prefer non chemical fixes. A fence keeps the possums and other little fellas out.

Last night, which was the first really dry night after a longish wet spell, the plants on my balcony (ie not even in the garden!) were massacred by an unknown assailant. I checked them at 9pm and they were fine. By 7am this morning the damage was done - ie. it happened overnight.

Whatever ate them, it started from the top and worked its way down. I have noticed other plants in the garden being eaten overnight in this way too.

I made a web page with pics, and I would be eternally grateful if someone could visit this web site and tell me what they think ate all the leaves. Surely not the caterpillars that Dipel was working so well for? Why would all this damage happen in just one night? How come it happened to some plants which had had Dipel applied just hours beforehand? Surely a possum doesn't eat plants in this way? I have had possum damage before and it was far more "messy".. you could easily see the bites that the critter took out of each plant. This time it seems like an insect. HELP!!!

The web site is:

http://www.geocities.com/save_berowra_valley/

Regards

Adrian

Here is a link that might be useful: My overnight horror

Comments (4)