SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stillmanz

how do you grow tomatoes?

stillmanz
18 years ago

How do you guys do it? I am curious to know who prunes? who stakes? Who uses cages or trellis? Who grows in pots, who uses raised beds and who dosn't? who's growing in hydro set ups? Who fertilizes and who dosn't? I find seeing what works for others is the best way to pick up good ideas.

For me I grow in raised beds I don't prune too heavily and I use a hybrid trellis/ cage frankinstein set up which gives two sides of support and lets your plant get nice and tall.

I want to know all your secrets!!! lol

Comments (29)

• wicky_Aus
    18 years ago

Don't know, nobody grows tomatoes on this forum.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Very funny wicky!

I only prune the vining types (indeterminates) if they get out of hand and I never prune the bush types (determinates) as they fruit on terminal buds so pruning those reduces yield.
    As for support, I've tried stakes and cages. I prefer stakes but this year will try a kind of stake/cage hybrid. I mulch well.
    Some years they get lots of attention - regular spraying with seaweed extract, plenty of mature compost. In other years I ignore them. They seem to prefer to be left alone, or perhaps they just don't like me!.

• Related Discussions

What do you feed to your tomatoes if you grow organic?

Q

Comments (5)
    I am using dr earth "Liquid Solution" this year. It is 4-4-4 i believe and partially water soluable. I am thinking I may also supplement with some soft rock phosphate for the additional phosphate and calcium as well. Can't say how well the Liquid Solution works as I just started using it. I believe it is going to work better than the fish emulsion i was using as that was primarily nitrogen (4-1-1). John
    ...See More

How do I grow Tomatoes in TX winters w/o greenhouse?

Q

Comments (10)
    Nick, the average tomato plant won't set fruit below fifty or so degrees F, so to get much production you'd have to keep the temps around them higher than that (not sure if that can be done without a greenhouse, or a rather extensive structure of some type). There are some types that are more likely to produce in cooler temps ~ Siberian types, one called "Oregon Spring", etc. ~ so I'd grow those for sure. If you put them against the south side of a large building (preferably your house), that will help as well. And I don't know if daylength has anything to do with it, but I surely wouldn't be surprised to find out it did. You may want to try some supplemental lighting on a few to test it out if you can't get a straight answer anywhere else. Since tomato blooms are self-fertile you won't have to uncover them to let insects pollinate, but you will need to move the blooms to do it. The natural action of the wind or an insect landing on the bloom is what triggers pollen to drop inside each flower onto the pistil (female part) and pollinate it. So either brush them with your hand repeatedly or install a small fan to move them around. Overall, and you probably already know this, but don't expect the same production as we get in summer. In cooler temps, growth of everything slows down, so it'll take longer for those tomatoes to form and ripen.
    ...See More

How do tomatoes grow-lengthen in size?

Q

Comments (5)
    The type of growth you are describing may be true for a mature plant but if it is a seedling or a relatively young plant it will also grow in length (and width) from the ground up. If for example you plant a 12" tall seedling and the bottom branches are 2" inches above the soil when you do, they will not stay at 2" for long. They will grow up. I know this from experience as I have had to remove and replace ties as the plants get taller.
    ...See More

how do I grow upside down tomatos?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm a newbie to veggies. The chipmunks ate all my cherry tomatoes last year. I have to grow the tomatoes and the strawberries out of their fuzzy little reach. I'm thinking I can grow them in a pot hanging off my balcony. I've heard one can grow them upside down. How do I do this? ***** There have been many many thrreads here about growing upside down tomatoes. I went to the search feature at the bottom of this first page, entered upside down tomatoes and came up with 44 different threads. I've linked to that search below and I'm sure you'll find everything you might want to know after reading some of those threads/ Carolyn Here is a link that might be useful: upside down tomatoes
    ...See More
  • ozmantis
    18 years ago

Come now Ray, your not developing a tomato complex of some description I hope.
    I grow them in bottomless pots mostly, but also directly in the garden and in free standing pots.
    I stake some, cage some, and train some up ropes strung between posts at the ends of a row.
    I never know how much to fertilise them so it varies from year to year. But I do try to hold off until they set their first fruit before feeding them to much.
    If you click on my nick above their will be a link to my web page that shows some of my setup.

Cheers Mantis

• Darwin_NT
    18 years ago

I cut 44 gallon drums in half, make four holes about 100mm from the bottom to keep the white ants and others in check, the drums are
    spaced about 500mm apart, on top of the drums I place concrete reinforceing mesh, the sheet mesh usually comes in 2.4mx6m these are cut to 1.2x6m and put on top of the drums with star pickets to hold in place, and the rows are north south to get the maximum sun. I normally only have four lateral branches and the rest of the robbers are pinched out. I try only to grow inderminates.
    The bottom half of the drums are corse sand and dirt mixture for good drainage and the top half is the comppost, mulch, manure mix that has been breaking down over the wet season. My growing season is from the start of March through to the end of July. I've only just started growing OP varieties this year after coming across Garden Web and getting on to all the great tomatoe sites, before this I use to grow in raised beds in the ground but because of the wilt and namatode problem I had to find another way. This year I have 56 drums with 24 differant varieties which I have just pulled up at the start of September, and found only three with namatodes.
    It seems I'm doubling the amount of plants and drums every year, I do this to relax, Its even getting in the way of fishing, now thats saying something, but thats tomatoes for ya. Keith

• seonau
    18 years ago

During winter here in Adelaide I grew my toms in a glass house. I use hydroponics. I simply set up a PVC. channel and six times a day fed the toms. It is a automatic recycling, pump system, so the excess nutrients returns to a storage container buried in the ground. The plants grew to the very top of the G.H., 2.1 mts. Very successful. No sprays at all.
    My toms for summer are already flowering, not bad for Adelaide at this time of year. Because I am new at this I am experimenting a bit and after seeing Princes P.Ps set up last year thought I would try some thing different and follow her lead.
    I have used 20lt plastic drums filled with coco fibre and in them drilled a 10mm hole 50mm up from the base of the drum. I feed nutrient to them every three days and make sure the pots are flushed each time I feed them. I have placed a small stake in the drums also.They sit in the G.H.
    It is my intension to pick them up. pot and all and move them into the yard once it gets hotter.I will continue to grow them in the wild using hydro.
    The temp inside the G.H. last year in summer reached 150 F I expect to be picking in about a month to six weeks time. I have also already set up a P.V.C. channel around the outside of the G. H. and have seeding in plastic cups growing. Once the weather warms up I will transfer these to the channels. I hope to have both early and late toms in this way.
    I am certainly no expert in all of this and I am learning what's best to grow when and how. So far no loses at all and top results. Its a fascinating game this hydro.
    Seonau

• stillmanz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for shareing your growing set ups. So Seonau what sort of tempretures can tomatoes take in a green house are all your tomatoes in hydro set up?
    Keith I combat nemitoids by growing french marigolds around my plants but it looks like the drums work well for you. I think I'm going to get some re-bar to make some big cages when I get some time of work. Mantis I had a look at your link very nice I haven't seen bottomless pots used before I might experiment with a few. Raymondo I 'm not a big fan of fertilizing either. my beds are always built up with manure and lucern I usually give them a drink of fish emulsion when they start to bud as well.
    I think I'mm going to go out and start construction on my super tomato bed today. the backyard slowly disapears into garden. I Love it. Mick

• paradisi
    18 years ago

last year I brought in four bales of sugar cane mulch and covered most of the garden in about 60cm of the stuff - - I put a hand full of potting mix where I wanted to grow my tomatoes and just let them sprawl all over the place - had a good crop until the grass hoppers decided they liked them (and just about everything else)

this year I've mostly got them staked and growing in the much improved soil
    one is growing over a curryleaf plant, several are growing up my pea/bean trellis (chook wire strung between three stakes) some are "tied" to my bananas, one is supported by a rose and there are a couple of wild cherry tomatoes growing along a chain mail fence in the front yard

She Who Must Be Obeyed goes around and pinches out the wee growth in the fork of the plants - encourages vertical growth and stops them from getting too many small fruit

• adamus
    18 years ago

Paradisi, I often thought of just letting them grow as they are. Must work i reckon. If I just put straw under them, they would be fine. Save a hell of a lot of work.
    They are a vine after all.

• cranethie2
    18 years ago

Is it possible to grow them in the polystyrene boxes or is that an urban myth?

If so how large would you recommend and is ordinary (good 5 ticks) potting soil enough or would I need to add some garden soil as well as compost?

Thanks

Cathy

• sarah_may
    18 years ago

Personally I don't think polystyrene boxes are deep enough. Try big (60cm) pots with the bottom cut out like Mantis does. Ray tried putting the pot inside a cardbox to provide insulation & it worked quite well.
    The potting mix should be ok, but they do need plenty of water.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Not too much Nitrogen, very nice moisture-retentive soil, loads of mulch. This means I water maybe twice a season using my concealed sub-mulch leaky hose. Without oodles of water the flavours are concentrated and there is less problem with evaporation, humidity and leaf diseases such as early blight. I have had good success growing tommies in beds that have had nitrogen-thirsty crops in them immediately beforehand, things like lettuce and the cabbage family. But just make sure the soil retains moisture. The longer you till in compost the better. But don't plant straight after putting bags of cow and mushroom compost (equal amounts please) on your beds. Wait for some weeks for the nitrogen to leach out. And water so the weeds come up. Then pluck them out for the chooks. Then plant , mulch heavily, and sit back for several months. Don't prune. Establish good support early on. And really make a point of securing the plant to the stake. Don't crowd and pick a sun-drenched possie with plenty of airflow, ie, north facing. Deal with fruitfly, grubs and leaf diseases before they are an impossible problem. Take lots of pics and post them here. Above all, enjoy. And if you have a dud season for whatever reason, alugh it off. :)

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Did you have a few red wines with tea fella LOL. No paragraphs and "alugh it off". But seriously, all you said is good advice.
    I water more than that and I do prune off weak leaders. Until this year I have pruned all leaders, apart from the main and the one below the first flower truss. This year I am letting one or two leaders that are strong looking, go from the bottoms of the plants.
    One Gregoris Altai has three very strong leaders from its base and is powering away with two at the top. This appears to be a very strong plant, so more leaders are justified.
    I have weaker plants that I have pruned all the bottom leaders off to give the main ones a better chance.
    I figure that if the plant is growing really well it can handle more leaders and set more fruit, but if weaker , I prune it back to get some fruit.
    Sorry I am getting a bit carried away here. Must be the rare sunny day we just had and the obvious growth of my plants in one day.
    Cheers Mantis

• adamus
    18 years ago

Yep.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Mantis,
    I was enjoying a Coonawarra shiraz with my post-dinner diatribe.

I just let the plant form whatever shape it will, however, in humid Sydney, the lower branches invariaby get nipped off coz of yellowing and then Early Blight.

I don't think they need that much help. I will fess-up: I'm behind this season and bought two Sweet Bite cherries. Bad, I know. but SB tastes a-ok for an early.

I went up the wee backyard, found two pots with last year's potting mix in them and lots of volunteer parsely bubs, pulled mulch to one side, stuck tommies in, watered and that is that.

So this is the second year in the same potting mix (I wouldn't do it to a good Heirloom) and the SB's are setting fruit already. Too easy if you want it to be.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Yeah I know what you mean. I got sucked in by a really healthy looking grafted Grosse Lisse which has gone in my main bed. I really have to stay away from nurseries :-)

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

So how many have you got on the go? You must have 40 or something already. I think you need to go to Tomatoes Anonymous. You are addicted, nq ;)

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Whaaaht, I only have 45 varieties up and 50 plants planted out. Got the grafted ones and the oldies to go yet.
    BTW first fruit is set on a Big Beef and is looking good.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

I will be lucky to get frit for Xmas this year. But I might have one of the last laughs with my late ones.

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

You should get fruit from your Russian Reds at least. You are getting warmer weather up there than we are. My outside toms aren't doing much most days, but on the odd warm day you can see them grow over a day.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

I should have Polar Babies to munch on before Christmas. Yeah!

It's cold here and I feel sorry for my seedlings in the greenhouse. The greenhouse is falling to pieces and the wind is chilling everything inside. It had to survive some hailstorm during the night, too.

So far, so good, though. :)

• nicefrog
    18 years ago

Wicky I'll swear those almost overpowering fumes that come off tomato weeds oh I mean plants :p has some kind of drug in it that make you want to grow them more and more, it's best just to stay well away from them at all times, talking about monster weeds can you email me with your address again so I can send you these Capulin Cherries before they take over Victoria

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

... and not even the slightest hint of an "excuse me" for being off topic. I don't know, Mexican fruit growers today. You'd swear there was something in the water.

Would you like some tomato seeds, Frog?

Best with your endeavours, :)Grub.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

What are Capulin Cherries?

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Please ignore previous question. I have just done a bit of googling and found out more. Interesting. What you learn in this forum. Thanks. :)

• sarah_may
    18 years ago

Spatz I can't be bothered to google, what is a capulin cherry please?????

• roughie
    18 years ago

Last year i had quite a good year with don burke in soil rich with sheep manure.
    I also went up to the mountains and found a creek that had been in flood at some time and dug 2 trailer loads of very fine rich soil and grew grosse lis in there with very good results. But the best results came from tomatoes i grew in 25 litre potting mix.
    I put 3 or 4 cuts in the bottom of the plastic bags and in turn placed them in sand bags, placed a stake in that and then placed the plant in the bag.That way they can be moved around with the sun.

• nicefrog
    18 years ago

Sarah, Capulin is a fake cherry :), it's good for people that can't grow real ones. Since I can grow real ones, I'm not exactly sure why I have a capulin tree, well I did have one, but it had some fruit last year and the birds ate it, now there seems to be hundreds! all over the property...... at least :p ooops

oh well the birds will be fat and happy, I expect there will be capulin trees all over the country if they spread this good, lots of people have them planted so it wont take long for the capulin forests to converge into each other and make the whole country a capulin forest. :p You might think I'm exagerating it's weed potential but I'm not : ), it's very impressive

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Have you eaten any? Are they nice? Or do only the bird have that privilege?

• nicefrog
    18 years ago

Spatz my tree doesn't taste that good yet (supposed to get better with age (and yeah it is getting better each year) but alot of people say their's taste great. I think the better ones are growing in Peru and Ecuador.

The ones here in Australia might be duds although Daleys nursery says they taste good and I got mine from there so I really don't know what to think about them yet. But they look good, will fruit from seed in 3 years and can grow 6 foot in a year also they are supposed to make great pies.

Mine is going to open it's flowers in a week or two, I'll take a picture.

Louis Glowinski has a really big tree in his backyard but I'm not sure how his tastes either

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES