SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drprem

Suitable conifer type tree for privacy hedging

drprem
19 years ago

We have just bought a block of land in Melbourne, Australia which has a older home on it. Our plans for this block are to knock the house down in a couple of years and build a new home on it. Block size is 20.1 meters wide by 50 meters depth. We would be looking to put a pool etc in the back and so would like some privacy hedging following the fenceline in a U shape in the backyard - a total of about 56 meters. Because the block slopes backward from the road and due to the design of the house the level of the pool would be approximately 2m above the natural fall of the land, so these screening trees would need to be atleast 4 - 5 tall or taller at their final height. These trees would also need to be fairly fast growing so that starting at a plant about 1 meter tall, they are at least 3 odd meters in 2 years. Finally these trees would need to be reasonably sized at the base say 1.5 to 2 meters diameter so as not to take up too much usable backyard space

I am open to suggestions but I was wanting to limit myself to conifers or the like because I feels that any other type of foliage would drop too many leaves etc into abovementioned pool - Guess whose job it will be to clean that up !!!!

The local nursery recommended "castewallen gold" but it seems that this particular species tends to be about 4 m diameter at the base.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Regards

Prem

Comments (4)

Sponsored