SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almeria_gw

HELP!! Non-Oz gardener! What grows under gums?

19 years ago

Hello all

Have been lurking on mainly US forums although I live in Spain, Europe, as climate here is very untypical of most of Europe - basically edge of mediterranean but sub-desert.

Really hope you experts can help with info about euc. Did a search on the entire Oz site to find out about problems of planting under gum trees (I think ours are "ribbon gum" but not entirely sure.) I couldn´t find anything but I think that is maybe because the answers are so obvious to all of you that it is not even an item for discussion! We have about 5 gum trees on one part of our plot (where I am trying to grow things) and another three on the boundary line (and here I have given up entirely!) Locals here said that I would get nothing to grow under these trees but, like a fool, I decided to think that this was an old wive´s tale. I found a piece on the internet from a very reliable looking (Australian) source - can´t quite remember what, but it was intended for serious agriculturalists - and it said that plenty would grow under these trees and that they did not exude toxins (as people thought) but just created so much litter (bark, leaves, seeds, etc) that they smothered many things. So I thought - "Hey, I can just make sure I keep these beds reasonably clean and tidy....". Ha! The two raised beds that we created in the vicinity of the gums are now known as "The Beds Of Death" as nothing will grow there except things like aptenia cordifolia (which I defy anyone to kill) and lampranthus. Even the lantana (non-invasive here) that I put in a couple of weeks ago, is having a hard time of it. When I go to dig dying plants out for replacement (which is often) I find the raised beds absolutely full of fine, matted roots. What I really need to know from you experts is this; am I dealing with a lack of water problem (the gum trees soaking up, like a sponge, any available water in our hot dry climate or is it indeed because of something secreted by the trees? I´d be very, very grateful for your advice. What do YOU grow under these trees? Or are you too wise to have any in your gardens???

Thanks very much for your time.

Almeria

Comments (5)

Sponsored