SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Organic vs. non-organic growing

wordwiz
13 years ago

Please - this is NOT which is more healthful, better for the environment, less likely to cause people who eat the produce have offspring with three ears or six fingers on each hand! Rather, a simple survey if growing organically is worth the extra cost. And another caveat, I cannot claim organic status for at least three years, the best I can proclaim to potential buyers is that all produce was grown using OMRI-approved methods.

Now that the disclaimer is over, do you find that shoppers really care? I can see not using chemical pesticides or fungicides as being a selling point, but what about fertilizers? Do you gain/lose sales because of what ferts you use? Do you charge more for organically-grown produce when you neighboring vendor is selling the same non-organic stuff at a cheaper prices?

The cost for organic nuits is not exponentially higher, but is darn higher to find in bulk. I can walk into any hardware or garden supply store and find 50 lb. bags of 10-10-10, 15-15-15 or whatever ferts but if I want a 40 pound bag of Tomato-tone, it needs to be specially ordered.

I've talked with lots of local people and they really don't care - they love Miracle Grow. One very upscale market features organically-grown food, but they charge $3/lb. for tomatoes in the middle of summer. But knowing where I will be selling at, I don't anyone will care.

Mike

Comments (12)

Sponsored