SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beebs_gw

Native plants, invasive roots and water pipes

Beebs
17 years ago

Hi All

I live in Brisbane on acreage on tankwater. Pretty much bare palette at present as we've only recently built here. I am doing my own garden design, which is a steep learning curve I must say!

I'm interested in natives but don't want roots getting into pipes or my inground concrete water tank. I'm probably a little paranoid, but need this water to live off!

I found some great lists on the net regarding a whole variety of plants (one from Qld Dept Natural Resources and one from similar Vic govt dept). But they don't mention some things I'm interested in.

Is Randia benthamiana (native gardenia) ok to plant near PVC pipes? (I want to plant them on either side of my front door). Any alternative suggestions? The lists on tree roots and pipes that I found only refer to "Gardenia spp" which I assumed meant non-native versions.

Also can anyone suggest any hedge plants that are ok near pipes and around my water tank? (Want to turn big round concrete lid into some kind of feature, and surround with a hedge of some kind).

Maybe I'm being overly cautious - I mean, lots of people in small suburbia plant invasive things and I haven't heard that many disaster stories....!

Any help much appreciated!'

Beebs

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions