SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

An 'Instant' native garden ...

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Yes, I know the pitfalls of trying to emulate the 'Blitz' style garden, but my friend is adamant that she wants 'dense green foliage', and she wants it right now (at the front, anyway). Given the current conditon of the 'garden', anything would be an improvement, but I am especially alarmed that she wants to use Golden Canes, simply because they provide an instant screen.

The irony is that she is willing to spend $100 per plant, but doesnt want to buy a large number of plants. This is in direct contrast to my own approach - beds filled with plants that will give depth as well as height.

As its a narrow block (less than 20m wide when you remove the driveway), my plan is for one feature tree augmented by a host of dense shrubs (various LillyPilly varieties, along with the smaller Melaleuca and Leptospermum cultivars), but I havent had any experience planting out natives over the 1.5 metre mark. If I could find a 3 metre tree and 4 or 5 lillipillies of about 2 metres, I really think she would accept that the remainder just need 18 months or so. Pretty up the tragic bed under the front windows with a selection of Grevillea and she would have it all - a beautiful street frontage with adequate privacy, all courtesy of a low maintenance garden which wont hurt her water bill.

The upside of this project is that it will be a clean slate, with the only remnants being 3 large Cuban Royal palms along the driveway. Soil looks completely useless, the front garden faces into the afternoon sun and the neighbours look like they spend their days comatose in front of the telly, if their gardens are any indication.

Any suggestions re trees and shrubs most welcome, particularly if its backed by personal experience. If she is going to spend big on the main plants, I want them to be healthy from day one.

Thanks,

Artie

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions