SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_perth

small evergreen tree for small courtyard in perth

Karen_Perth
20 years ago

I am looking for a small ( 4-5 mtrs but up to 8 mtrs) evergreen tree/shrub suitable for a small paved courtyard to act as a screen for the 2 storey next door. something that doesn't drop too many leaves ( I know all evergreens drop to some degree but some more than others) or make too much mess with berries or fruit but flowers are OK. Also something non-invasive as there is a sewer line about 3 metres away and not too slow growing - and not a native as i've had bottlebrushes and wattles before and i want something different. tall order you say ! that's what the lady at the nursery said too. she said it doesn't exist !

she suggested flowering ash (fraxinus griffithii) which is an option but a bit boring.

also bleeding heart tree ( Omalanthus populifolius) but not sure about berries and leaf droppage. Does anyone have one?

so i consulted my "readers digest encyclopedia" but i'm not even sure if these are available in Perth.

I am considering Randia Fitzalanii (Australian Gardenia) which i read only grows to 6m and possibly less in Perth - does anyone in Perth have one and how is it ?

Native Gardenia (Gardenia Ovularis) - not sure what the difference is with this one and the Randia Fitzalanii ?

and there's also the Gardenia Jardinei which is also called a native Gardenia which i found on the web and may also be called Larsenaikia Jardinei. does anyone have any knowledge of these or how they would go in Perth.

also like the sound of Bauhinia Hookeri which although semi- deciduous would be ok if it only dropped some of it's leaves, or only for a short period of time.

Also Brazilian Angel's Trumpet (Brugmansia Suaveolens) looks good, as does Gordonia Axillaris but it's too slow growing unless i can find an advanced one.

does anyone know anything about Natal Cherry (Dombeya Tiliacea syn. D. Natalensis ?

what a list !! and very confusing. I had a Cape virgilia (Virgilia oroboides syn Virgilia Capensis) which i loved and was so fast growing but it shed leaves all year round and i was forever sweeping.

i have a theory that trees with little leaves drop more than trees with big leaves - is there any substance to this theory ?

help please. sorry this turned into an essay !

confused and fussy

Comments (14)