SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistymorn_gw

Advice needed to dig up and transplant a Fig Tree

mistymorn
19 years ago

This Fig Tree ??? was given to me by a neighbour this time two years ago, he had it in this huge pot and there were roots everywhere over the top of the pot. He told me if I could move it I could have it pot and all. No problem I got a crowbar and a saw and managed to lift the pot just enough to get the saw under it to cut the thick tap root that had grown down in the soil from that hole in the bottom of the pot.

Had to get Hubby to help move it on to the trolley where we took it home and left it on its side so I could get it out of the pot and prune all the broken roots and plant it in the garden it was coming along fine, but I want to move it as next door neighbour's pool has a leak in it, he thinks he has found it but just in case it happens again I though I would put it around the other side of the house where I badly need early morning shade.

It is about 6-7ft (180-210cms) wide and 8-9ft (240-270cms) high. {{gwi:2116078}}
What I need to know is how wide do I need to dig that circle around the tree would the width in this Pic below be ok as I dont think we could manage any bigger I have already cut down a little way and severed some roots that were on top

{{gwi:2116079}}
I dont plan on moving it till the middle of Winter,so I though it would be a good idea if I start now and dig a trench around it and cut down a few inches every week so that by Winter all I will have to do is sever any big tap roots underneath or on the side. Any ideas on how much of the branches I will have to prune off to compensate for the root loss as the width of the branches could be nearly four times the width of the root ball. Looking forward to any help I can get.........MM.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County