SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amelie_gw

Syzygium papyraceum (Paperbark Satinash)

Amelie
20 years ago

Is this a hedgable plant which grows 4 to 6 metres tall or a large buttressing tree?

... I am hoping the former, but have read otherwise ...

Opinions please.

Comments (5)

• Jane_23
    20 years ago

I was given some seeds of this Syzygium recently. The parent plant at Kenilworth was about 5m tall and I think about 15 years old. They are native to N Qld where they may attain some height but in cultivation that usually doesn't happen. Nan and Hugh Nicholson's rain forest books - series of 5 - are excellent as reference material. Is a beautiful tree - do you really have to hedge it?
    Jane

• Amelie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the reply Jane.
    No I don't intend to hedge it. I have planted it close to a fence and wanted something that would look good if the neighbours hacked off bits of it. I also don't want it to grow too large (powerlines overhead) so if it can be trimmed a bit, all the better. I was told by the nursery that it was reasonably fast growing, though this doesn't sound the case judging by the tree you mentioned.
    I intend too coddle it, so am hoping for great things.

• Wooroonooran
    20 years ago

Tree dimensions are largely determined by environmental conditions.
    Wet rainforest plants like Syzy. papy. grow much shorter in drier conditions.

Its like feeding a pig more food.
    They get fatter with better conditions.
    Kenilworth is a far cry from tropical north Qld, the species will tolerate the harsher conditions but the optimum time of the year for good growth maybe only 2-3 months out there. So grow is slower and due to less humidity-lower rainfall and colder conditions the height will be shorter.

Ive seen very large growing rainforest species put to a hedge situation.
    Syzygium malaccence-Syzy. tierneyanum-Xanthostemon chrysanthus- and many others.

Give it a go.
    You wont end up with the hedge being 80% trunk!!

From Kris

• Amelie
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the good advice Kris!

• MAMacLeod
    19 years ago

Hello! I live in Florida, Zone 9B, and am very interested in cultivating the Syzygium papyraceum. Would anyone be interested in trading seeds for any species here? I am a licensed plant broker and am able to obtain very many different and unusual species--some endemic to this area and others entirely foreign. Thank you very much for whatever help you can give me. Please email to rareplantbroker@yahoo.com