SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo_gw

Australian Tomatoes

Raymondo
19 years ago

As some of you know, I've been tracking down any tomatoes with an Aussie connection. I've found quite a few.

This coming tomato season, I would like to grow out as many as possible of the ones not commercially available here, save as much seed as possible, and deposit the seeds somewhere (hopefully with the Seed Savers Network) so that they become available to a wider audience.

I'm asking for volunteers to help me in this project. It would entail:

1. Taking responsibility for growing out one variety (more if you wish) and making notes as they grow.

2. Making sure the seed is pure either by an appropriate separation distance (a couple of metres) or by bagging the blossoms.

3. Collecting and fermenting the seeds and sending them back to me.

I'd be looking to get back around 500 seeds. For most of the varieties, this won't require many tomatoes.

In order to maintain whatever genetic diversity might exist in the varieties, the ideal would be to grow 6 plants and collect fruit from all 6 for processing. However, most of us don't have that much space so just a couple of plants will do.

A note for our Tasmanian colleagues: Due to your state's quarantine regulations I will endeavour to find out how to go about getting the seeds treated.

The inventory of those not available commercially here is:

Aussie

Australian Giant Oxheart

Australred (whoever takes this one will have to grow Australian Red alongside for comparison)

Burnley Gem (already taken)

Burnley Metro (already taken)

College Abundant

College Conquest

College Cropwell

College Globe

College Red

College Regal

Concrete Red

Erica d'Australie

Ethel Watkins Best

Joe Thieneman's Australian Heart (I will take this one as I only have a few seeds)

Polish Pastel (A recent variety developed by John Smarsz)

Tasmanian Blushing Yellow

Tasmanian Yellow (Quite likely a family heirloom. The one above is a sport of this one.)

There are also some that Patrina has developed but they haven't gone through a full stabilization process yet. There are also others that I haven't got seeds for yet, but hope to have some before the season begins.

Please don't feel as if you don't have the experience to volunteer. Full instructions will be enclosed with each seed sample.

If anyone out there would like to help me out, please just send me an email. I already have 4 volunteers but I could do with more.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Raymondo *thrilled to be able to make these varieties available once more in their land of origin!*

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor