SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_digger

Help! Neighbours out of control Bamboo

Dirty_Digger
11 years ago

My neighbour planted bamboo along my north boundary about 5-8 years a go. Hasn't done anything since and the stuff is out of control. Its meant to be a privacy boundary, but its pretty useless as such as it is now too tall. One clump that overhangs and shades my garden/lawn is made up of c. 30 stems each c. 50-80 cm wide and c. 10 m high. It drops an enormous amount of debris, mostly leaves. While I had tenants in these were allowed to sit on my lawn and killed the grass. Even when swept up, I doubt the grass will recover, the shade is just too great and from the north. The rest of the garden is also suffering. It *feels* like its having the life scked out of it by the bamboo!

I have little faith in the neighbour controlling it voluntarily (he is that sort of bloke!), so I have to mitigate the bamboo's effect:

- leaves can be used as mulch of course, but its so thick I suspect even heavy rain is not getting through to the soil and it very difficult/time consuming to maintain a even cover. The leaves just dont seem to decay? I am trying composting a load, but they seem very stubborn? Any top tips?

- obviously I can cut overhanging branches, but this is difficult when the overhanging part is 10 m up!

- what do the roots of bamboo look like? I have dug my side of fence and it seems strewn with thin grass-like tightly woven grass roots. is this it? If I dig/cut this up, will it have any significant impact on the main plants? I hope so!

- Any tips on what to grow underneath? I am mindful of the fact that in my experience/travels, bamboo is one of the few species that naturally forms mono 'plantations', either by dominating ligth and/or killing off neighbouring competing woody species through its roots?

- if I can convince my neighbour to do something (I'm not holding my breath!), will the bamboo respond to pruning in normal way, i.e. branching/thickening above the cut?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

DD in Brisbane

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions