SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishful_gw

is it safe to....

wishful
18 years ago

... compost toilet rolls??

I am the recycle queen. After 5 kids and 12 years at kindy, I am so in the 'routine' of saving cereal boxes etc for kindy/preschool, that I am seriously wondering what I am going to do next year when I no longer have a child there (will they think I am very strange if I roll up every 2-3 week with a car load of 'stuff' for the craft table??ROFL!!)

Anyway.... that is not my problem (well, it is, but not the one I need help with...)

Kindy's can no longer take toilet rolls (sheesh! just cos they've been near POO!!). This has caused severe conumdrums at the making table (HOW do you get legs on a horse if you don't have toilet rolls? gear sticks on a car?? oh! the trials and tribulations!!)

Anyway, not to be outdone, I save them (mainly for sewing seeds into, so I can skip the thinning out stage, and go straight to the planting out stage....well, it works for me...)...but, because there are SO MANY of us (sigh!) and the kids insist on using the toilet - there are more toilet rolls than I can use. So the rest go into the compost (ok... a considerable number each week go into the compost!).

For some reason, I have suddenly had a horrible thought... is there something bad about the way toilet rolls are produced? Is it the worst grade of recycled paper, and full of aluminium or chemicals or something? Will they 'polute' my yummy compost that I put all around my vegies I feed my kids?

I know this sounds stupid - laugh all you want! - but does anyone know if toilet rolls are safe for compost? I'm having mightmares that my kids lettuce is now full of heavy metals or something.....

Comments (19)