SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meribast

Sport on Happy Days?

MeriBast
18 years ago

Well, the surprises keep coming... I went out this morning and looked at Happy Days which is blooming her heart out. I thought that Princess (who is also blooming) and is nearby, had somehow got one of her branches stuck in among the blooms, because there was a bright white bud in among all the pale pinks. But Princess is not actually next to Happy Days and Princess is not really a shockingly white rose!

A closer inspection revealed that this bright white bud was actually ON Happy Days.

It is a crisp white, just like an Iceberg rose, with the palest of pink flushes on the edges of one or two petals. The pink is just barely perceptible.

I looked at Happy Days' lineage on Help Me Find and there are a few white roses in her 'pedigree'. I don't know if this technically means that I DO have a sport or not, but the bloom is definitely very different to the others.

Of course the questions are as follows:

What, technically, constitutes a Sport when all is said and done?

If it IS a sport, do I leave it on the plant, or do I graft it and make a 'new' rose bush out of it for my garden if it turns out to be worthwhile and is a pretty rose when it is finally out? If so, at what time do I graft it?

In the big scheme of things, is it really all that important if I HAVE actually found a sport? It makes ME happy, but is it all that amazing, really?

regards,

MeriBast.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living