SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_il

First 'grown up' book

suzanne_il
17 years ago

One Christmas our 4th grade class had a gift grab bag and we all drew names. The teacher included her name in the batch and as luck had it, she drew my name. You can imagine the items that 4th graders picked for each other, and as they were opening their gifts my imagination went wild about what kind of bauble would be in my package.

I was quite disappointed to find that Miss Leifson had bought me a book. Book??? A book???? Naw, I wanted some cheap trinket made in Taiwan with brightly colored gimcracks and bells and whistles. It seems that Miss Leifson understood the difference between what I wanted and what I needed. Good timing too because there was plenty of time during the Christmas break to read and thus, get me hooked on reading.

The book? A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. After that I remember reading a string of Nancy Drew books.

At some point (I can't remember the age) I picked up an honest-to-goodness grown-up book, The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. Reading this book remains to this day one of the most exciting trips of my imagination. It took me to an exotic place that in my wildest dreams I never thought possible to see one day for myself. It introduced me to concepts totally foreign to my experience - famine, death and another culture. I could vividly imagine the landscape, the personalities, the difficulties. It touched a chord in me and throughout my life culture, anthropology and farwaway places have remained my focus of interest.

Perhaps it's a very personal thing - finding that book that sparks something inside you. I bought a copy of The Good Earth for my daughter and she wasn't very impressed! She's definitely more atuned to fantasy adventures such as Tolkein's work.

Can you remember the first grown up book you read? Does it remain one of your favorites?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida