SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jclepine

Help with transplanting and potting up ground grown plants

jclepine
12 years ago

So, remember when I first started on this board and I was afraid to put my plants in the ground since we were just renting etc? Well, six years later, we are moving and I plan on digging up my little plants! Since we are moving out of state, I contacted the Oregon Dept. of Ag. to get some tips on what I can and can't bring.

Some of the guidelines are very strict but I'd like to try to meet them.

Here is what I need help with:

"2) Outdoor plants growing in pots must be certified by the Colorado Department of Agriculture prior to shipment. In order to be certified the plants must meet the following conditions:

a) pot size is limited to one gallon or less,

b) grown in soiless growing mix (field soil not allowed), and

c) meet one of the following conditions: treated with an approved insecticide, or grown in an approved Japanese Beetle free screen house, or grown outside to the Japanese Beetle flight season.

3) Outdoor plants grown in the ground must also be certified by the Colorado Department of Agriculture. Since field soil is not allowed, only field grown plants that have had all of the soil removed from around the roots are allowed. Colorado Dept. of Agriculture officials can provide certification that the plants have had all soil removed."

I have all the perennials from the swaps that I don't want to let go of and the hardy Canadian roses that I really don't want to let go of, all of which are in the ground.

So, if I can track down the flight season, then I can determine if it will work to dig up the ground plants, remove the soil, treat with my enemy known as "insecticide" and plant them in tiny one gallon pots.

What should I use for soiless mix? Vermiculite? I know there are several choices out there but I have no idea if one is better than another or if one is better for roses.

Is there anytime that it is best to do this? Most of them are well established plants from Skybird, so you probably all know what I have. My main concern is how to dig up the roses properly. Most of them have been happily in-ground for a while, one is only on its second winter and one will be coming out of its first winter, having been planted last year.

I'm guessing that summer is not the best time to dig them up and that I might want to dig them soon. Do I trim the rose roots? Once re-potted, should I treat them differently, more or less rose food? Should I no longer keep them in direct, all day sun once the temps rise?

A couple other questions. They had no concern for any of the plants I listed as long as the above precautions and rules are adhered to. But, being the moral dork that I am, I have concerns that the Campanula punctata "Cherry Bells" is something I should not bring, only because it can get invasive. I love it and it doesn't go wild up here, with my ridiculously short growing season but I'm guessing that it would really take off in Oregon, in that dark, damp soil with a longer growing season. Opinions?

So, there it is. I'm sorry there are fifty million questions in one post!! Any advice is welcome!!

Thanks,

Jennifer

Comments (2)