SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
the_grub

Man Down! Man Down! Pansy problems

The_Grub
18 years ago

Hi,

Spent about $50 on the usual winter annuals, pansies, to liven up my front bed that faces the street. I planted them out, as per usual, with under-mulch leaky house and enriched soil, bla bla bla. They started out great, I nipped the early flowers off, to make for bigger and bushier plants...

Then it started. One by one they fell. Like soldiers on the front line. They would suddenly go all floppy and that was that. It appeared something was chewin' on the roots. I lost the whole 10 plants. I removed barrow loads of soil and all the mulch, cut back the five roses, covered the bed with manures and some lucerne around roses, and put chook wire on top to keep the cats away.

So my winter bed was dirt. Spring sprung, so I hit the nursery again full of vigour. I bought some perennials and thought I'd leave six holes for annuals. I bought lots of mini Lobelia and stuck this annual in too. I went for a purple and white Pansy theme again. All was going well and I was gloating all weekend wandering past, saying to myself, "Grub, good work. Nice bright cheery flower bed. The chix and mums will love you for it"

I came home from work and, damn it, the first Pansy is down. Nothing else around it is suffering, but I fear all Pansies will soon be lost. I told Mum, who has been growing Pansies and gardening all her life, and she said after 50 years she's never lost any Pansies till this year.

Cutworms? Nematodes? What do you think is the problem. Clearly, I am going to have to plonk in some Petunias with bad-tasting roots. Sad, coz I like my Pansies even though I'm not one. :( Grub

Comments (16)