SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rossnroller

Irrigation controller queries

rossnroller
11 years ago

Hi folks.

Our old Oasis Dundee 6-9 station controller is acting strangely - only the 'Program' buttons are touch-responsive. It's not possible to set the time, station watering times etc, or to operate the stations manually. Everything was fine last time I used the controller (autumn), but evidently something has gone haywire over the winter.

So, I suppose I need to buy a new controller. I'm looking at Total Eden's own brand, Rainmaster, Toro (the cheapest outside 6-station controller I can find), Rainbird or Holmans. They all seem pretty similar. Only need a basic model to replace the Dundee. ie: 6 stations, 2 programs+, to be fixed to wall outside.

There's the background. My questions are as follows (enumerated for the sake of clarity and ease of response):

1. Today's controllers come with transformer inbuilt, whereas the Dundee transformer is external. I assume it's somewhere in the roof cavity - don't like going up there. It's certainly not inside the house. So, if I attach a new controller to the existing wiring, I'd be using the Dundee transformer - correct?

2. Is it possible to bypass the Dundee transformer and use the inbuilt one on the new controller? I'm guessing not, since the Dundee transformer is probably plugged into the power outlet somewhere in the roof cavity.

3. I believe it is possible to use the Dundee transformer with a new controller just by using the existing wiring, effectively bypassing the new controller's inbuilt transformer. If this works, fine, but if the Dundee transformer is faulty and is the reason the Dundee controller no longer works properly, it will likely mess with the electronics of a new controller also - correct?

If the old transformer is faulty, could it destroy the electronics of the new controller as soon as it is wired up and turned on?

4. Is there a way of testing whether the old transformer is faulty without getting up into the roof and unplugging it? I have no idea where it is up there. Would it be plugged into an electric power socket, or were these old controllers hardwired into the power in some way?

Would appreciate some advice on 1-4 above from folk who know more about this stuff than I, which means just about anyone!

Cheers!

Ross

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions