SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amelie_gw

Ideas for feature tree

Amelie
18 years ago

Hi to all,

I haven't been on these boards for a while. The old garden has been pretty shabby and dry lately. Most of the grass has died (not too bothered about that but it adds to that dry look). Everything looks awful. We intend to convert to paths through the yard (it's just bare dirt at the moment). I don't like my garden at his time of the year.

But now I feel inspired. Today I've had the loppers in - I've had some larger trees trimmed and the 10 queen (cocos)palms have been removed from my front yard. Nothing would grow there. I have a tree planted in the middle of the yard which is the same height as when it was planted four years ago!!! there seems to be no soil just matted palm roots throughout the whole yard.

Anyhow, now I want to plant a largish tree in the middle of the yard and some screening hedgy plants inside my fenceline - low maintenance, with the lack of rainfall in mind and the palm the roots still present.

I'd like to know what are you favourite feature trees.

I would like something with the look of a poinciana or jacaranda but a bit smaller. Around 6 metres wide and 5 to 8 metres tall are approximate measurements. I would prefer something fastish growing. The soil is quite sandy. Flowers would be nice, but not essential. What will thrive under these conditions and in Brisbane?

Comments (14)