SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
batlady_gw

Ive lost the War, the Possums are winning

batlady
16 years ago

I live in Mona Vale, NSW  this is about 15km North of the Sydney CBD Âthe way the crows flyÂ. WeÂre a small complex of 4 townhouses on the Northern side of Mona Vale beach and Âcop the Southerlies Âfull onÂ. After 30 years of Âneglect we re-planted our Eastern boundary last spring (the strip is curved and between 1.5- 2.5m wide and 20m long). ItÂs in Âopen line with the Southerlies; read: no protection at all from wind and/or salt). We need 10/10 Salt proof and 10/10 Wind proof plants. The horticulturist who helped us with selection of plants recommended:

- At the rear of the garden bed: sections of Dwarf NZ Christmas Bush (Metrosideros collina "Tahiti" Â growing to 1-1.2m high, pink flowers/bird-attracting. These are interspersed with sections of NZ Flax (Phormium tenax "Sunset") Â approx 1m high, purple colour.

- In front of this (in the wider sections of the Âcurved garden bed), is a middle level of Variegated Mirror Bush (Coprosma "Rainbow Surprise")  growing to approx 1m high, different shades of pink/grey/green.

- In front of this (following the curved line of the garden bed) is a Âborder of Dwarf Mat Rush (Lomandra confertifolia "Little Con")  growing to 0.3m, white (very small) flowers.

- At two places (in the less wide sections of the garden bed are) are Mt Wilson rock formations (0.1-0.4m high, 1-1.2m long. The Mt Wilson rock has different shades of grey/brown/red/pink  and is especially very pretty when itÂs wet)

- Choosing the flowering plants/colours of the plants, weÂve tried to Âwork in with the

Mt Wilson rock colours.

Our problem NOW is NOT the SALT or WIND Â ItÂs POSSUMS!!! For the past 9 months IÂve protected the NZ Christmas Bush and the Variegated Mirror Bush with green plastic bags & stakes. However, WHATEVER GROWS OVER THE TOP of the green plastic bags GETS EATEN OVERNIGHT BY POSSUMS!!!

I have tried all the possum ÂdeterrentsÂ. Catching/removing the possums is not an option, as others will move into the vacated Âterritory'.

I have put several Âtest plants in the garden strip that were "absolutely guaranteed, 100% Possum-proof and Wind proof" by Nurseries  No luck so far If the possums donÂt like them, a Southerly gets themÂ

Our local Council Bush regeneration officer recommends native plants only:

- Westringia Fruitocosa (native rosemary) Â mostly green with very small, white flowers;

- The Coastal tea tree (I havenÂt been able to find info on this, but sense it grows beyond 1.2m?);

- Pommaderris Species B (again, I havenÂt been able to find info on this plant).

We are not limited to Ânatives and like to have a little Âcolour in the garden (if we can). I have researched this website and couldnÂt find info on SMALLER BUSHES that possums DONÂT LIKEÂ

- WeÂre looking for 1-1.2m high bushes to replace the Dwarf NZ Christmas Bush and

- 0.6-0.7m high bushes to replace the middle layer of Variegated Mirror Bush.

- The NZ Flax and Dwarf Mat Rush (Little...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions