SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plnelson

War with Woodchucks!!

plnelson
10 years ago

I have a large (about 60x70') vegetable garden terraced into the hillside below my house in Massachusetts (5B) . I grow butternut, zucchini and yellow squash, red and green peppers, basil, several kinds of tomatoes, raspberries and blueberries.

The hillside surrounding the garden is steep and rocky in places with lots of brush, weeds and small trees, and woods beyond that. Lots of cover for critters,

The garden has a 4-5' high steel fence which also goes a foot below ground and running an inch or two above the top is an electric deer fence wire with 5000 volts.

I've been plagued by woodchucks who tunnel up in the middle of my garden - 10 or 15' from the nearest fence! So I can't even tell which side they're coming in on. 3 such holes in the last 5 weeks. One of them came out under a 2' retaining wall, which means he was tunneling at least 2' underground for a great distance. I toss "Revenge" gopher bombs down the holes and seal them up but I can never find where the other end of the burrow is! They are causing a great deal of damage to my crops.

What can I do? (Thanks in advance!).

Comments (23)