SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

How long for a 3 metre canopy ?

artiew
19 years ago

Hi All,

A friend of mine claims that a nurseryman told her of a plant which will create an 'instant' (!) canopy. Naturally, she doesnt know the name of the plant (aaarrggh - women :)) ....

Fantasy plants aside, how long has it taken you to establish a canopy ? I know that there are a host of factors - rainfall, soil, climate - in addition to plant choice, but my guess is that 3 metres in 2.5-3 years is a realistic target for most palms and rainforest plants such as lillipillies. Growth rates vary : my Stenocarpus and Buckinghamia seem even slower, while I'm sure my Bambusa Oldhamii will take off after its first year in the ground.

With more regular rain, 18 months - 2 years could be achievable, but Bambusa is not a typical species in my garden. If I had known about the clumping varieties 12 months ago, things may have been different.

I'd be very keen to hear from anyone who has achieved faster results (under 2.5 years from a 6-inch pot) from natives - the two fastest growing trees on my block are both exotics. Plants from South Africa seem to like clay soil and hot, dry weather :)

PS I took said friend for a walk through the rainforest section of Kershaw Gardens, and she identified almost every tall sapling-like tree as 'the plant !', before dismissing it when some characteristic didnt fit her recollection of the 'instant canopy plant'. A question for the male members of the board - if you stumbled on a plant like this, wouldnt you *write down* the name of the blasted thing ?????

Apologies to the ladies on the board - I know that many of you are extremely competent and meticulous - but some of the fairer sex exasperate me in ways I cant fully enunciate :)

Cheers,

Artie

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH