SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

How best to protect our native woods? (long, with pics)

prairie_love
18 years ago

Hi all,

I am not sure if this is the best place to post my questions, but figured I'd start here. My husband and I are the fortunate caretakers (owners) of 20 acres of land in eastern North Dakota, along the Red River (we bought it about 3 years ago). About 12 acres are "native" woods. I put native in quotes, because I have no way of knowing the history of this land. One of my nature-loving friends and mentors believes that the woods are actually second growth, but I don't know. The trees are mostly ones that would be expected to be native - green ash, cottonwood, box elder, willow (maybe native maybe not), and even some elms that apparently survived Dutch Elm Disease. It's beautiful (I posted some pictures below). We have an amazing diversity of birds, deer, fox, woodchucks, etc. This is really a unique property, especially as it is close to town and is unfarmed. So, my question is, now that we are the caretakers, how do we best protect this piece of land?

A lot of trees die and fall down. Or just fall in a high wind. I'm sure some of that is to be expected, but how do I know if more are falling than should? One horticulturist told us that if we want to let some of the elms grow bigger, we should clear some of the trees around them. Same with hawthorns. How do we decide who should be protected and at the expense of someone else? Or do we let nature do as she will? Another issue is that every spring the river floods and we get an enormous amount of dead limbs washing up into the woods. I do know that a certain amount of this provides valuable habitat, but it really is an enormous amount. My friend thinks it is due to all the dead elms upstream that are now falling into the water. Should we clean some up? And how do I know if our trees are in good health or if we can do something to help them out?

I don't necessarily expect you all to answer all these questions, but am hoping you can tell me where to go for information. I tried our county extension service - he was not very helpful. I talk to nature-loving and more experienced friends and get advice, but am unsure how far to trust them - they mean well, but do they really know the answers? I would truly appreciate any suggestions for how to learn more about what to do with this wonderful piece of land. Thanks so much.

I am including a few pictures, just so you can see how beautiful it is :)

Ann

{{gwi:1064589}}

{{gwi:1064590}}

{{gwi:1064591}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored