SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jilldotchom

Hot Desert Climate - Resources Help Wanted

jilldotchom
14 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to Qatar in the Arabian Gulf. Had just taken up gardening in Maryland, USA before coming.

I am now trying to continue my new hobby/passion in an entirely unfamiliar CLIMATE. We are already into the 80s during the days. and CIRCUMSTANCES - all my plants are in pots - medium to large and CULTURE - gardeners are mostly from syria and so significant language barrier at what few garden centers there are (although they do try to help!)

I'm trying to stick to 'local' or at least HOT Sunny Sunny plants. And have discovered a few new wonders - like Frangipani (sp?) - Garenia (seems to love the full shade here?) and Jasmine. Also - it seems that roses may survive here... at least they sell alot of them at the centers.

My big interest is in CITRUS - and I have acquired quite a few plants.

Some plants - I don't know the name when I purchase them - just lots of nodding and smiling! (I.e. Bloomfia or filia? A wonderful little shrub with very fragrant little blue and white flowers. A syrian shub with tiny white fragrant flowers - and little berries - edible, tartish....) Perhaps some type of olive tree?

I need help with the care and feeding and pest control of these plants.

Can't find anything on the web. Seems you have some similar climates? (I don't know)

Do you know of any good books, websites, etc? Or can you tell me if your own climate is similar enough to mine?

Already in the 80s here... will get hotter and sunnier thru next September. In Dec/Jan/Feb can get as low as 40s or 50s one or two nights! :)

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions