SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
upper_west_terrace

Terrace Garden Questions - Help Please!

upper_west_terrace
19 years ago

Hello there - I just found this forum and want to thank all of my fellow NYC terrace/roof gardeners for great hints and pics from past years. I am looking for some advice, please! And I promise to put up some pics.

General info: 150 square foot deck (brownstone 4th floor walkup, wood deck with lattice, seating on 3 sides that I use for plants (have pretty chairs & small table), partial sun during the summer (south facing, big trees overhead). Also a small fountain that I would like to upgrade, but plants first.

This is my first full summer gardening and I want to choose carefully and buy wisely...anxious to get started!

-From last year, bleeding hearts are coming back like mad - one is almost 2 feet tall already and almost blooming. So exciting! Have planted some seeds (impatiens, hosta)in what I now realize is "old" soil, so little hope for them.

-Last year, successful plants were geraniums, impatiens (several types), mint that went crazy, begonias, hosta, and other smallish leafy plants that I don't know the name for (some have come back already). Made lots of cuttings from leafy plants like hosta, which did great.

All advice is appreciated, but here are my main ?s

1. Waiting to see if hydrangea and fuschia (my favorites) come back to life. How long til I know if they are trashed?

2. Where to shop?

No car and LOTS of stairs, so I need to be very selective. Can rent car to go upstate/Long Island for plants and new large containers (no more Ikea ceramic!), but is there a way to make this easier? Mail order seems boring to me. The neighborhood places I have used before are so expensive and have few options. Any decent places in Manhattan?

2. What new to buy?

Want lots of flowers, hate petunias (stalky!). Planning a pink/purple/blue/dark red theme. Would like a few plants that smell nice if possible. Annuals are fine...do I buy small ones in bulk or pay more for a larger one? I have medium-sized round pots and long window-type boxes for them.

3. Fertilizer?

I used the little green sticks last year but apparently that is bad?

4. Soil

Repeat, I have to carry everything up LOTS of stairs, so I was hoping to reuse soil from last year. Is this a bad idea?

5. Climbing plants for lattice

I had ivy when I moved in, it died in the winter (wrong type, I think). Tried "potato plant" which I did not really like. One mint plant grew like crazy last year, so I was thinking of that but scared that it will take over flowers?

Thanks in advance!

Upper West Side Terrace Gardener

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022