SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vickitg

Happy New Year

vickitg
16 years ago

Happy New Year to my favorite readers. I'm still awake and it's after midnight. Yay!

I hope you all have a wonderful, book-filled 2008!

Comments (19)

• veer
    16 years ago

And all good wishes for a Happy 2008 from a grey and soggy England.
    I shall try and resolve to throw aside all over-hyped books and stick to what I enjoy . . . and like Paula on another thread, aim to rid myself of 10 lbs.
    Does anyone else out there want to take up the challenge?

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

the book challenge or the pounds challenge?
    hehehe!

I'm game.

• Related Discussions

Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Yule, and Happy New Year

Q

Comments (1)
    Happy New Year to all my gardening friends. PEACE on earth, including Gardenweb. May the New Year bring love, happiness, forgiveness, joy, Wisdom, and Beauty beyond what you hope for in your gardens. Here's to New Beginnings. Cheryl
    ...See More

Happy New Year - Any Cooking Resolutions for the New Year?

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you Ann. I posted and it did not appear for at least 10 minutes so I posted again. The edit feature did not allow me to delete the double comment. Happy New Year! Teresa
    ...See More

9 years + and Happy New Year!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    And the same to you! I think that's about when we got our second computer and were able to get on line. Tami
    ...See More

Happy New Year!

Q

Comments (7)
    Get back to sewing for sure! Last year was not a good year for so many reasons, but this will be better. I worked on cleaning up my sewing room because DH is having a birthday party for me on Saturday and we need the room for the kiddos coming to watch a movie in. On Sunday, it is full speed ahead putting it back to sewing and get going! I have a dinosaur quilt top finished and sandwiched and started the quilting - baby is due on the 7th, so it will be late. I have a Japanese fan quilt top ready to sandwich and quilt - it's a commissioned quilt so need to get it finished! I need to make another baby quilt for friend's granddaughter due in March. After that - need to work on using up some of the scraps I have. (boxes and boxes of!) Looking forward to a new year with a lot less stress! Sue
    ...See More
  • lemonhead101
    16 years ago

I am up for the challenge, Vee. I would like to focus my reading less on library books and more on the books I already own (you know -- the TBR pile!)

I also want to lose 10 lbs. My twin sis just came in for a visit (she also lives in the US) and she is lighter than me and looks great. However, she doesn't eat very much at all. Like a prison diet. So maybe that is what I have to do!

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

Sign me up for that 10 lb. challenge as well. The holiday goodies (and we're talking Thanksgiving to New Year's) have added more than just a pound or two -- it's back to oatmeal and soup for me!

This year I'd also like to read more from my TBR pile (though my frequent trips to the library last year did keep me from buying more books, which was a good thing). I think a thorough culling and re-sorting of the TBR piles might be in order, and given the number of books I have, it might qualify as exercise, too.

Happy New Year to one and all!

• thyrkas
    16 years ago

Happy New Year! We have completed one more circle around the sun. Although that same sun is shining gloriously, it is three degrees below zero here, which we found out the hard way - by waking up to a conked-out furnace. And on our anniversary, yet. Fortunately DH has the skill to deal with such disasters and the furnace has been fixed. My hero!

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

As today is the traditional pork and sauerkraut meal (currently perfuming my kitchen, but to be transported to S-I-L's oven soon) I will have to postpone my "prison dieting" until tomorrow. Pork and sauerkraut bring prosperity and good fortune-I'm not missing THAT!

• vickitg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I marked the box to receive follow-ups to my message, but for some reason Vee's response never came through. So, when I opened my e-mail this morning I had no clue what "challenge" you all were talking about. LOL

But, yes, I'd like to wean myself away from the overhyped books, which I tend to buy and then not read. Maybe I'll try to cull my TBR stack down to books I'm really interested in, and then give the rest away.

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Happy New Year to all at the RP forum! I have no intention of joining the book-control challenge but I just may try the lbs. thing. Or so I say.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

Happy New Year from cold Kentucky. I'm keeping all my books; but, ah, yes, the infamous ten pounds. And to think only a few years ago it was five pounds. I really must start now, for I shudder to think what another five years will bring. To add insult to injury, a great-aunt of my daughter's mailed her some photos taken when she was two and I was much slimmer.

• cindydavid4
    16 years ago

I'd love to try the pound challenge, but I'm afraid it won't work for me. In 20 years I've gained as many pounds; each time I am able to get a few off, I gain them back and then some. I can't stick with a few foods, and I have too many cravings to totally be faithful to abandoning them either. I have been holding steady at the same weight for a few years so either my metabolism isn't slowing down as much, or I am exercising more. So right now, I'm just trying moderation and more exercise. I may never fit into my wedding dress again but at least if I can keep the size I am now I'll be happy.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

tomorrow...a 30 minute walk. My new cell phone has a pedometer and a built-in FM radio...so I'll try them out. Might use it to make a call, as well. (I couldn't resist-went in to upgrade DS, as his was at the end of its life...we both walked out with new toys!)

• twobigdogs
    16 years ago

Happy New Year,
    We also had the traditional pork and sauerkraut New Year's Day dinner. It is said to bring good luck and prosperity.

For the third year in a row, I am going to try to weed out some of the books that I've read, but never intend to re-read... mostly trade paperbacks. Here's the catch... my copy of Pere Goriot, which I am reading right now, is one such paperback that is yellowing and the glue is starting to dissolve but I know I can get one more read out of it!

Also, like many of you, I would like to tackle the TBR stacks around here. I truly love love love books but even I must admit that it is getting a wee bit out of hand.

As for the ten pounds, alas, I cannot take part. I turned 40 last February and made a solemn vow that never again would I be worried about NUMBERS... my weight, my size of jeans. I am, for those wondering, not rail thin, but neither am I carrying too much extra. I could probably drop ten and look great, but I won't do it. I have no clue as to weight because I absolutely have not stepped on a scale since my birthday. I vowed, instead, to concentrate on healthy eating habits. But I wish you all best of luck in your endeavor. As for me, I'll join you in your salads and carrot sticks, but I absolulely refuse to give up my favorites like french fries with gravy and chocolate - everything in moderation. And since making this vow, my jeans have not gotten tighter, they've actually begun to get loose. Don't know if I lost anything - I won't get on the scale.

PAM

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Happy New Year to all my friends here. It looks a bit like snow here today, but we will probably only get flurries.

In the South, the custom is to eat Black-eyed peas on New Year's Day to bring good luck. Had not heard about the pork and sauerkraut -- is that a German custom transplanted to the U.S.?

I have the goal to read more from the TBR pile at home and buy fewer books. (Alas, I cannot resist yard sales). I also want to get rid of books I will never read again in order to clear shelf space.

I cannot join in the "lose 10 lbs" as I might blow away. I already lost weight during the past year and have been walking almost every day for an hour, at least 1 and 1/2 to 2 miles....

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

Here's another (former) Pennsylvanian who enjoyed pork and sauerkraut yesterday. I don't know if the custom is German or just PA Dutch. PAM, fries with gravy screams south-central PA to me. Anyway, my TBR is generally under control since I mostly use the library, but I can join a 5 lb challenge. Cutting out junky snacking and 2nd or 3d helpings should do it; I'm more concerned that I thought I was in decent shape exercise-wise, but after playing Wii sports on New Year's Eve and being sore two days later speaks otherwise.

• vickitg
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bookmom - I had the same Wii experience. The bowling really does me in ... and the boxing, oh my goodness. But what a fun way to get sore. Plus, it gets my husband up out of the recliner.

We do black-eyed peas and cornbread on NY's day, which someone else may have mentioned -- SE Missouri roots here. :)

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

My late MIL had a family tradition (still followed) of lentil soup and herring with sour cream for New Year's Day. The first for wealth, the second for health in the coming year. I have no idea where the custom originated, she was of Irish descent and was born and raised in NYC. I also can't remember if I asked about it here last year or not. Has anyone else heard of this food tradition? We're clueless.

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

The herring with sour cream sounds both German and Scandinavian. I have several recipes for that.

• smallcoffee
    16 years ago

The herring, but not the lentils was served in my family growing up on New Year's (60's and 70"s). We were also of Irish descent living in NYC. I have not continued the tradition, and did not wonder til now where it came from.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

pork and sauerkraut is PA Dutch.