SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjkiwi

NZ plants in a USA greenhouse

pjkiwi
16 years ago

I moved to the USA from NZ as a teenager and now that I'm buying my own home here I want to be able to bring a little of home to share with my children and husband (and to use as a much needed hideaway from the hectic pace of being a mom of four)...

I've been collecting NZ plants for the last few months, and have them potted up and stashed in my semi-heated greenhouse for the winter. Next spring I will be building an additional greenhouse specifically for a NZ garden and these plants (and more) will be planted directly into the ground.

My point? I'm trying to figure out what else to include in my little haven.

So far I have:

Dwarf Bottlebrush (a US cultivar but similar to the ones I remember on the beaches of home)

Feijoa

Kowhai

Tea Tree - Ruby Glow

Tea Tree - Dark Shadows

Tea Tree - Gaiety Girl

New Zealand Rock Lily

Phormium Maori Maiden

Phormium Pink Stripe

Eucalyptus Silver Drop

Several cultivars of hebe

There will be passionflower growing up one wall and kiwi on arbors outside the greenhouse.

I also plan to include freesias around a small pond in the greenhouse as a memorial to my grandpa who loved them and grew them everywhere around his NZ home.

I'm also considering growing my tulips in there too since I always grew them for contests for my grade school (and won). The squirrels are killing me with their appetite for the rembrandt tulips I've been trying to grow and I'm going to attempt to keep them safe by growing them indoors.

So what else should a New Zealand garden include? The temperature should never get below 35 farenheit next winter, but could be higher the following year after we add power and heating.

Comments (2)

Sponsored