SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_brown_gw

My air-conditioning stopped cooling, what can I do?

bob_brown
11 years ago

A lot of problems with air conditioning are caused by dirt. Dirty outside coil can cause the head pressure to go high. On a hot day the Freon can burst a hole in the system, cause a compressor to fail, cause an electrical breaker to trip then fail. Keep the outside coils as clean as possible. Keep plants from growing against the finned area, keep the exhaust pathway free of obstructions. The inside coil is another story. A dirty inside coil can cause the coil to Ice over and the flow of air is reduced. When this happens the ice gets thicker and the air eventually stops completely. The major cause of dirty inside coils is not changing the filter often enough. To clean an inside coil is a dirty time consuming job. I have heard of cleaning jobs that cost more than the labor for new installation of equipment. Even for the most diligent customer, the coils will need cleaning occasionally. In my home for example, we cleaned the coils after 15 years. The coils were dirty. I re-examined them 7 years later and they were clean. The system is 33 years old now and I should probably examine the coils again, even though I am careful to change the filters on a regular schedule.

Comment

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors