Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #47 Rice

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #47 ------- RICE

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 12:55

Time for a new Cookalong, are you ready?

Jasdip has selected RICE this time. Thank you Sherry, I love to try new recipes for rice.

Let's try to come up with a variety of rice recipes that not only use rice as a main component (such as stir fried rice) but also recipes that you traditionally spoon over or serve with rice. Don't forget about deserts! Rice really is used in many different ways.

Ready? This Cookalong will run until May 20, 2012.

Thank You

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #46-----POULTRY
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #47 ------- RICE
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 13:00

Great choice Jasdip.

~Ann

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 7:48

I'll be watching closely. I'm not big on rice but Clive loves it and I need to kick up my carb choices.

o

Posted by stuartwanda (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 8:00

Ive been making a lot of rice pudding lately. Here's the recipe I use:

Preheat oven to 325.
Lighty greese a 9" glass baking dish.

1 cup of cooked rice
Mix: 3 lg eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c milk
Pour over cooked rice. Add 3/4 c raisins
Place dish in a pan with water to a depth of 1 inch
Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
When done can sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 9:45

Yeah! I love rice. I don't have time to post any recipes now, but I'll be back to share some I've enjoyed.

Sally

o

Posted by paprikash (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 9:55

We like this:

Rice/Orzo Pilaf

Serving Size : 4

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup orzo pasta
1/2 cup onion -- diced
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 cup white rice -- uncooked
2 cups chicken broth

Melt the butter in a covered skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir orzo until golden brown. Stir in onion and cook until onion becomes translucent, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the rice and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 11:11

First a recipe where rice is the main focus. A good dish for a light Sunday supper or even a brunch.

Salmon Kedgeree
English origin, this recipe was found in the Sunday Family Weekly magazine years ago.

1 7 oz. can salmon, or 1-2 foil packages of flaked salmon, or leftover cooked salmon
3 hard boiled eggs
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups hot cooked rice
2 cups thawed frozen green peas
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste

Drain and flake the salmon if using canned, reserving liquid. Add water to drained liquid to make 1/3 cup.

Slice eggs in half; chop the yolks and cut the whites in strips. (I just chop the whole eggs, largish dice.)

Saute the onion and curry in the butter in a skillet. Add all the rest of the ingredients (except the separate yolks and 1 TB of the parsley) including the salmon liquid/water. Add salt and pepper. Heat well, taste to correct seasoning if needed, stir well. Mound on a platter. Sprinkle with the (yolks) and remaining 1 TB parsley. Serve hot.

Serves 4-6

And, a recipe to serve over rice from my dear mother-in-law:

Quick Chicken Chasseur
serves 6

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken or turkey, cut into strips
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon each fresh tarragon and thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
1 cup sliced scallions
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sherry - dry not sweet
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
3 small tomatoes, quartered
3-4 cups hot cooked rice

Dredge chicken strips in cornstarch. In a skillet, brown the chicken in the oil. Stir in the seasonings and scallions. Cook 2 minutes longer. Add the broth and sherry. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and tomatoes, cover, simmer 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice.

o

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 11:49

this is one of my favorite recipes..it's beautiful and always a hit at a potluck.

Forbidden Rice Salad

Serves 8 to 10

2 cups forbidden rice (black rice)
3 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil - Recipe calls for Sesame oil; depending on how strong it is, I might use part mild olive oil or other oil - I start with 2 TBLS and add more if needed
1 pound sweet potatoes, roasted and diced
3/4 cup diced red bell peppers
3/4 cup diced yellow bell peppers
1/2 bunch sliced green onions (about 3 or 4)
Sea salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste

Bring rice, water and a pinch of salt to a quick boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. Turn heat off and let rice sit while you whisk together sesame oil and tamari. If necessary, drain any remaining liquid from bottom of saucepan. Add sesame oil and tamari mixture to saucepan and toss with rice while still warm. Let cool, then add sweet potatoes, red peppers, yellow peppers, green onions, salt and pepper to taste. Serve at room temp or chilled.

I think the rice usually takes longer than 30 min. but don't overcook.

o

Posted by triciae (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 14:34

Here's the recipe I use for basic rice pilaf with a few variations (add-ins). It makes A LOT. I make the basic recipe, divide into smaller containers, toss in different add-ins for each container. It freezes beautifully & we've always got a nice variety of different rice dishes available. Some, depending on your add-ins, make a good base for a cold salad.

RICE PILAF WITH VARIATIONS

8 tsp. butter
2 c. orzo
3 c. long grain rice (we use basmati)
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground black pepper
10 c. chicken broth

Add-Ins (obviously not everything in one batch - lol):

Golden Raisins
Thyme, rosemary, sage, basil
Onions
Prepared Seasoning Mixes
Spinach
Mushrooms
Pistachios
Walnuts
Pumpkin Seeds
Large Slice of Orange Zest (add while warm)
Mandarin Oranges
Shallots
Saffron threads soaked in 1/4 cup water
Scallions sliced on the diagonal
Dried Cranberries
Parsley
Sliced Almonds

Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan. Stir in the orzo & rice. Sautee until golden brown.
Add the salt and pepper.

Add chicken broth to rice mixture.

Turn to high heat until rice comes to a boil, cover and turn heat to low, simmer 20 minutes or until rice is fluffy and all liquid is absorbed.

Let the pilaf sit 10 minutes off the heat before serving. Fluff with a fork.

/tricia

o

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:32

Great choice Jasdip. This is sure to be a fun one. This cookalong inspired me to finally use up these packages of ready-made brown and wild rice and quinoa DH picked up on a whim. I made an asparagus stir fry with them.

Photobucket
Photobucket

8 stalks asparagus, trimmed

olive oil

1/2 red bell pepper, chopped

1/2 green bell pepper, chopped

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 carrot, peeled and shredded

dash sriracha

2 packages brown and wild rice with quinoa, cooked according to package

1 tbsp soy sauce

1/2 inch ginger, peeled and minced

1 clove garlic, minced

salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400F. Massage a bit of olive oil into the asparagus, enough to make them shine. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and roast for 8-10 minutes, until fork-tender. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1 inch pieces.

Meanwhile, drizzle a little oil in a large frying pan and bring to medium high heat. Add peppers, onion, celery, and carrot, and cook until tender and onion is translucent. Add brown and wild rice with quinoa, sriracha and soy sauce and stir fry about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger, let cook for 30 seconds, then add salt and pepper to taste and gently fold in asparagus. Reduce heat to low and cook for 4-5 minutes for flavors to marry.

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:58

I've found the only way I can cook brown rice is to bake it in the oven. I tried it once on top of the stove and threw it out.

We like small chunks of onions, carrots and celery in the bottom of a casserole dish. Mix 1 1/2 cups brown rice into it and pour 2 1/2 cups chicken broth over top. I use either a pepper medley type seasoning or my all-purpose kind of a southwestern flavouring. (Has paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder etc etc). Bake in a 375 degree oven about an hour.

This started out as Alton Brown's recipe I believe.

o

Posted by seagrass (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 19:39

My go-to rice for most everything but risotto is brown basamati. I rinse it, and then cook according to package directions with the amount of water called for. Comes out great on the stovetop everytime. Takes a bit longer than white rice, but it's flavorful and can stand in for white rice in just about everything.

I'll dig through my T&T recipes and post some later.

Great topic!!

seagrass

o

Thu, May 10, 12 at 21:45

I cook brown basmati rice in my pressure cooker! Perfect every time and only takes 12 minutes - can't beat that!

Teresa

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 23:56

Rice was my Cookalong choice back in '09! I'm linking to the page. I'm still working my way through it, lol! One can never have enough rice, in fact the story about the rice grain is one of my all time favorites. (See copied below).

Lately I've been into black rice. Made some black rice and quinoa salad last weekend, very good, and I don't usually like quinoa! I'm trying to like it though, because it is so healthy.

What can you do with rice flour? I bought some once for a shortbread recipe I think, and I lost the recipe. It's been sitting in my freezer for a LONG time!

BF's son is on an anti-yeast diet. We're trying to support him by cooking wheat free, low sugar ourselves, and that means lots of brown rice. Well, actually not very large servings of it!! I still need my bread carb fix, but try to limit wheat to only one serving a day!

One Grain of Rice a mathematical folktale by Demi

Long ago in India, there lived a raja who believed he was wise and fair, as a raja should be. The people in his province were rice farmers. The raja decreed that everyone must give nearly all of their rice to him. "I will store the rice safely," the raja promised the people, "so that in time of famine, everyone will have rice to eat, and no one will go hungry." Each year, the raja's rice collectors gathered nearly all of the people's rice and carried it away to the royal storehouses.

For many years, the rice grew well. The people gave nearly all of their rice to the raja, and the storehouses were always full. But the people were left with only enough rice to get by. Then one year the rice grew badly and there was famine and hunger. The people had no rice to give to the raja, and they had no rice to eat. The raja's ministers implored him, "Your highness, let us open the royal storehouses and give the rice to the people, as you promised." "No!" cried the raja. How do I know how long the famine will last? I must have the rice for myself. Promis or no promise, a raja must not go hungry!"

Time went on, and the people grew more and more hungry. But the raja would not give out the rice. One day, the raja ordered a feast for himself and his court--as, it seemed to him, a raja should now and then, even when there is famine. A servant led an elephant from a royal storehouse to the palace, carrying two full baskets of rice. A village girl named Rani saw that a trickle of rice was falling from one of the baskets. Quickly she jumped up and walked along beside the elephant, catching the falling rice in her skirt. She was clever, and she began to make a plan.

At the palace, a guard cried, "Halt, theif! Where are you going with that rice?"

"I am not a thief," Rani replied. "This rice fell from one of the baskets, and I am returning it now to the raja."

When the raja heard about Rani's good deed, he asked his ministers to bring her before him.

"I wish to reward you for returning what belongs to me," the raja said to Rani. "Ask me for anything, and you shall have it."

"Your highness," said Rani, "I do not deserve any reward at all. But if you wish, you may give me one grain of rice."

"Only one grain of rice?" exclaimed the raja. "Surely you will allow me to reward you more plentifully, as a raja should."

"Very well," said Rani. "If it pleased Your Highness, you may reward me in this way. Today, you will give me a single grain of rice. Then, each day for thirty days you will give me double the rice you gave me the day before. Thus, tomorrow you will give me two grains of rice, the next day four grains of rice, and so on for thirty day."

"This seems to be a modest reward," said the raja. "But you shall have it."

And Rani was presented with a single grain of rice.

(Now, it's time to get out your calculators!)

The next day, Rani was presented with two grains of rice.

And the following day, Rani was presented with four grains of rice.

On the ninth day, Rani was presented with two hundred fifty-six grains of rice. She had received in all five hundred and eleven grains of rice, enough for only a small handful. "This girl is honest, but not very clever," thought the raja. "She would have gained more rice by keeping what fell into her skirt!"

On the twelfth day, Rani received two thousand and forty-eight grains of rice, about four handfuls.

On the thirteenth day, she received four thousand and ninety-six grains of rice, enough to fill a bowl.

On the sixteenth day, Rani was presented with a bag containing thirty-two thousand, seven hundred and sixty-eight grains of rice. All together she had enough rice for two bags. "This doubling up adds up to more rice than I expected" thought the raja. "But surely her reward won't amount to much more."

On the twentieth day, Rani was presented with sixteen more bags filled with rice.

On the twenty-first day, she received one million, forty-eight thousand, five hundred and seventy-six grains of rice, enough to fill a basket.

On the twenty-fourth day, Rani was presented with eight million, three hundred and eighty-eight thousand, six hundred and eight grains of rice--enough to fill eight baskets, which were carried to her by eight royal deer.

On the twenty-seventh day, thirty-two brahma bulls were needed to deliver sixty-four baskets of rice. The raja was deeply troubled. "One grain of rice has grown very great indeed," he thought. "But I shall fulfill the reward to the end, as a raja should."

On the twenty-ninth day, Rani was presented with the contents of two royal storehouses.

On the thirtieth and final day, two hundred and fifty-six elephants crossed the province, carrying the contents of the last four royal storehouses--Five hundred and thirty-six million, eight hundred and seventy thousand, nine hundred and twelve grains of rice.

All together, Rani had received more than one billion grains of rice. The raja had no more rice to give. "And what will you do with this rice," said the raja with a sigh, "now that I have none?"

"I shall give it to all the hungry people," said Rani, "and I shall leave a basket of rice for you, too, if you promise from now on to take only as much rice as you need."

"I promise," said the raja. And for the rest of his days, the raja was truly wise and fair, as a raja should be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rice Cookalong #9
o

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 1:10

Love that, LPink

o

Fri, May 11, 12 at 7:14

I figured you'd like my choice LPink! I didn't know that you had done it back then, and I'm not surprised.

This is a recipe that I used to make decades ago. I started making it again recently and we really enjoy it. The sausages are the little breakfast, link sausages, etc.

Some are sold here frozen, under the name Mini-Sizzlers made by Schneiders. There used to be 16 sausages in the package, now there are 12!! Mushrooms can be added as well, if you like. I don't buy mushrooms all that often as hubby doesn't like them, but he does pick them out if I use them.

Polynesian Sausages

1 lb little breakfast sausages, fresh or frozen
1 medium green pepper, sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 small onion, diced
14-oz can pineapple tidbits
sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cornstarch
14 cup brown sugar

In a lightly greased skillet, brown sausages over medium-low heat. Remove from pan and drain all but 2 tbsp fat.

Add green pepper, celery, onion and mushrooms. Saute until lightly browned.

Drain pineapple chunks, reserving juice. Add pineapple to vegetable mixture.

Combine juice, vinegar and soy sauce and mix with combined cornstarch and brown sugar. Slowly add to skillet and stir until thickened. Add sausages to heat through and serve over beds of hot, fluffy rice.

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 10:43

I love rice. We have it quite often as a side and occasionally as a main course.

Chicken Fried Rice
==================

This is my version of my favourite style of fried rice. Does not contain soy sauce.

Before cooking, the chicken is marinated in a little Shao Hsing, cornstarch, and sesame oil. Optional: egg white .

2 to 3 boneless chicken breasts thinnly sliced
1 cup peanut oil

Cooked Rice

1 large onion cut in half and then sliced lengthwise.
2 stalks celery sliced
1 garlic clove
1 inch piece ginger
1 bunch green onions
2 to 3 cups fresh bean sprouts
2 eggs beaten and seasoned with salt. Cook two or three thin omelettes - crepe style. Slice.
Handful frozen peas
Sesame Oil

Cook chicken first.

Velveting:

Heat 1 cup of peanut oil in large wok. When oil is really hot add half the chicken. Chicken cooks quickly in the hot oil. Stir so chicken doesn't stick together. Chicken will turn white and be cooked in about 60 to 90 seconds. Remove chicken to a colander to drain and cook second batch. Set chicken aside.

Wipe wok clean, heat over high heat, add a little peanut oil. Add onions and stir until onions start to colour. Add the celery, cook for a minute or so, add the garlic, and ginger. Add the chicken back into the pan along with the rice, toss continuously until rice is hot. Season with a little more sesame oil. Stir in the egg, green onion and bean sprouts. Serve immediately.

o

Posted by lalitha (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 23:27

Loved the story!

Here is a recipe for a savory risotto from southern India. Kedgeree that Theresa posted originated during the British colonial times in Indian sub continent. "Kichiri" as it is known in man parts of India is basically a cooked dish of rice and lentils with vegetables etc. Pongal is a south Indian version.

PONGAL (this is the savory version. There is also a sweet dessert version that is made with palm sugar)

Ingredients

1 cup white rice. Short grain rice that is more sticky works well.
1/2 cup yellow mung dal (split and skinned dal)
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon whole pepper corns
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black pepper powder
4-5 curry chopped leaves (when chopped releases essential oils)
2 tablespoons halved cashew nuts
2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter (climber 3 tbps of unsalted butter until it is the color of pale honey.
2 tablespoons oil
Salt to taste

Heat a pan on medium heat and roast the yellow mung dal until a lightly roasted aroma is released. Don't let it turn brown or burn.
Wash rice and mix with the roasted dal. Add 4 cups of water and salt to taste. Cook using the pressure cookeror in a pot. This will cook soft like almost a thick oatmeal.
Place a small heavy bottomed pan on medium heat; add the oil and roast the peppercorns for a few seconds. Add cumin seeds, ginger, curry leaves, pepper powder, asafoetida and saute for a few more seconds. Turn off heat and set aside.
Now heat 1/2 teaspoon of ghee in a small pan and roast the cashew nuts until pale golden and crisp.
Once the rice-dal mixture is cooked; add the roasted spices and the cashew nuts to the rice-dal mixture. Add the remaining ghee and mix till the spices have blended well into the rice. Ghee enhances the flavor of this dish. Serve hot.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 10:05

I think this was originally posted by Annova, but I haven't seen her here in a long while. It is amazing and I make it often!

Wild Rice Salad
Ina Garten

1 cup long-grain wild rice
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 navel oranges
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh orange juice
2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half
1/2 cup pecans, toasted
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 scallion, white and green parts chopped
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1. In a medium saucepan over high heat combine rice, 4 cups water, and 2 tsp salt and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Drain and return rice to the pan. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.

2. While rice is still warm, place it in a mixing bowl. Peel oranges with a sharp knife, removing all the white pith. Cut between the membranes and add the orange sections to the bowl with the rice. Add the olive oil, orange juice, raspberry vinegar, grapes, pecans, cranberries, scallions, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper. Allow to sit for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.

Linda

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 10:12

LPink, I loved your story, too!

Here's a rice salad recipe from Food and Wine magazine, published in their August, 2003 issue. I had forgotten about it, but when I made it for company, including my picky sister, it got raves. I need to resurrect it.

Cilantro Rice Salad with Olives

Makes 8 servings

Salt
2 cups basmati rice
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
Freshly ground pepper
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 medium red onion, minced
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup Calamata olives, pitted and finely copped

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add salt. Stir in the rice and boil over moderately high heat until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the rice thoroughly and transfer to a large bowl. Toss the rice with a rubber spatula from time to time to cool it to room temperature.

2. In a small bowl, mix the olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Gently fold the tomatoes, onion, cilantro and olives into the rice. Add the vinaigrette and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Make ahead: The rice salad can stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour.

On an off topic note, this cook-along helped me to remember that I have a whole stack of cooking magazines that I keep forgetting about. Thumbing through this old magazine, I've noticed some other recipes I want to try, that I passed over the first time I read it. Thanks for the trip down magazine lane, lol.

Sally

o

Posted by teresa_mn (My Page) on
Sun, May 13, 12 at 14:04

Technically wild rice is not rice but aquatic grass seed. But most people treat it like rice. For the newer forum members, I am fortunate in that one of my brothers owns a piece of property where wild rice grows freely. The property has been in my family for more than 120 years. When my great great grandparents moved to Minnesota from South Dakota, my GG grandmother selected the land because of the stands of rice and the abundant wild life. As a Native American she knew how important the rice would be in years when the farm's harvest was poor.

This recipe is for hand harvested marsh/river rice. Commercially cultivated wild rice takes longer to cook. The drying/toasting process of commercial rice causes it to be a much harder grain. One cup raw marsh/river rice will make 4 to 4.5 cups of cooked rice. Cultivated wild rice works just as well in this soup. And if you make a large batch and freeze the soup the cultivated rice holds its texture better.

My favorite way to cook the wild rice:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. You will need a covered casserole or pot (a 2 quart size is good). I use a glass casserole. Place in casserole:
1 cup raw rice
2.5 cups of boiling water or stock

Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Test rice for doneness. Cook another 15 minutes if you want it more tender. Use excess water in wild rice soup.

Wild Rice Soup

6 tablespoons margarine or butter
2-3 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups cooked wild rice
1/2 cup finely grated carrots (I use more)
1 cup minced ham or leftover cooked chicken
3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds (you can put them in the soup OR toast and top as a garnish)
Salt to taste if you want
1 cup half and half (see note below)
2 tablespoons dry sherry

Directions

In large saucepan, melt margarine; saute onion until tender. Blend in flour; gradually add broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, carrots, ham, almonds and salt; simmer about 5 minutes. Blend in half and half and sherry; heat to serving temperature. Garnish with snipped parsley or chives.

Sauteed sliced portabella mushrooms are a nice addition to this recipe.
If half n half is to rich or caloric for you feel free to sub in some milk or low fat cream. This recipe is very forgiving and there aren't many substitutions that can ruin it.

Amount: 6 to 7 cups.

o

Wed, May 16, 12 at 6:36

Since there was a recipe for baked rice pudding, I'll share my recipe for the creamy style.

Creamy Rice Pudding

3/4 cup short grain rice
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
pinch salt
4 cups milk
1 cup table cream
nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon

Combine rice and boiling water in medium saucepan. Cover and simmer 15 minutes until rice is absorbed.

Combine sugar and cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1 cup of the milk. Stir until smooth. Add remaining milk and cream to rice, combine well. Add nutmeg and raisins, if using.

Stirring steadily, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to barest simmer. Stirring occasionally, cook 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is creamy. You don't want it to thicken too much, it thickens a lot when cold.

Beat egg yolks. Remove pudding from heat. Whisk a little pudding into yolk then add to the rest of the pudding. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat and add vanilla. Transfer to individual bowls and top with cinnamon.

**My notes: Instead of using 1 cup of cream, I use 1/2 cup of half and half, and 1/2 cup milk.

I omit the egg yolks. This is very creamy on its own without it.

I also don't put the raisins in. My DH adds them to his own serving.

o

Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 11:09

Loved the story, too.

My dtr volunteers at a school - orphanage in Cambodia called "ABC'S and Rice." The school pays the local poor families the equivalent of a month's supply of rice in advance to allow their children to attend the school when they are five yrs old, rather than work for pennies a day or panhandle. The people are so poor they cannot afford to let their kids go to school because they lose the
pittance the child brings in. This way, the family eats, and the kids get to learn to read, something their parents can't do.

It is all volunteer, all donations, serving about 75 kids now, I think.

Sorry for the ramble. A bug knocked me out this week. I love rice and make a wonderful paiella, but just wore myself out. Maybe later.

o

Sun, May 20, 12 at 11:35

Oh; Sherry, when you're feeling better, please post your paella recipe!!!

o

Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 12:31

Loved the story, too.

My dtr volunteers at a school - orphanage in Cambodia called "ABC'S and Rice." The school pays the local poor families the equivalent of a month's supply of rice in advance to allow their children to attend the school when they are five yrs old, rather than work for pennies a day or panhandle. The people are so poor they cannot afford to let their kids go to school because they lose the
pittance the child brings in. This way, the family eats, and the kids get to learn to read, something their parents can't do.

It is all volunteer, all donations, serving about 75 kids now, I think.

Sorry for the ramble. A bug knocked me out this week. I love rice and make a wonderful paiella, but just wore myself out. Maybe later.

o

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 22:11

I make rice many different ways, but here is what I am making tonight:

Shari Rice (for sushi)

Half Recipe:

1 cup Japanese Pearl rice
2 tsp dried kelp
1 cup plus 2-1/2 Tbsp water

Seasoning

2 tbsp rice vinegar
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt

Wash the rice and drain it in a colander. Place the rice in a heavy covered saucepan and allow it to sit for 1/2 to 1 hour.

Add the water to the pan, along with the kelp in a teaball. Place the pan on medium heat, and when the water begins to boil, remove the teaball. Cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice cool for 10 minutes without removing the lid.

Heat the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until everything dissolves. Allow to cool.

Place the rice in a large bowl, add the seasoning liquid, and stir with large wooden spoon, fanning all the time - I use a stand fan, but a ceiling fan works also, although not as well.

Keep rice covered until ready to use.

---------------

Today I am using Seasoned Seaweed Paste with Perilla instead of the kelp in a tea ball. I think it will be easier and make a nice variation. I bought sashimi yesterday at the 99 Ranch Market, and so I wanted to make sushi rice for it today. The sashimi was partially frozen, and I kept it in that state until tonight.

Frequently I cook rice with vegetables so that I get a dish that is both a vegetable and a starch. I do this mainly because the rice keeps the vegetables hot, and I like the flavor of the rice better. I reduce the amount of water used for the rice according to the vegetable added, and I add the vegetables at the point in the cooking process when there is the right amount of time left for the vegetables to be cooked properly, and not overcooked. I do this mostly with asparagus and broccoli, but also with peas and corn.

Lars

o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 9:06

I've been experimenting with black rice. (Thank you Annie for sending me a bag!) It seems to work for me with cold rice salads, which I don't normally like with long grain brown rice. I think it is the smaller shorter grain I like with the black rice. We've been experimenting with grain alternatives to wheat. Luckily I love all whole grains. I've made two rice salads so far, and the results have been just so so. The first was one with quinoa, cilantro, cumin and parsely, the second featuring a grapefruit vinagrette. The first was better than the second. I have two more recipes to try. But I've used up all my black rice so have to get some more!

I'm posting the first recipe, but the photos are from the second, which wasn't as good. But they LOOKED very similar. I'll link to the other one, but I don't recommend it. Orange juice and grapefruit juice don't go together for a dressing, and grapefruit is too yummy to get lost in a black rice salad.

This comes from a wonderful blog called A Farm Girl's Dabbles. Some great looking recipes on there!
Quinoa & Black Rice Salad with Cumin & Avocado
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Ingredients

1/2 c. short-grain black rice (or substitute another color of short-grain rice)
1 c. red quinoa, rinsed well (or substitue another color of quinoa)
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
4 T. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. cumin seeds (I just used ground cumin, 1 heaping tsp.)
3 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c. chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 T. 1" pieces chives
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and sliced into wedges
1 lemon, sliced into wedges
Preparation

Note: black rice and red quinoa are available at better supermarkets and at natural foods and specialty foods stores. I found mine at Whole Foods.

Bring rice and 1 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes.

While the rice is cooking, combine the quinoa, bay leaf, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the quinoa and let it sit in the hot saucepan, covered, for 15 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Fluff quinoa with a fork.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cumin and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add this to quinoa. Then add the rice to the quinoa mixture and stir well. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, fresh lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and chives. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Lpink's notes: This needs to be kicked up a notch. More salt, more dressing, more seasonings, more veggies. I added chopped grape tomatoes and green pepper. (That's why it probably needed more salt, lol!)

Serve salad with avocado and lemon wedges.

Source

Slightly adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, November 2011

I'm throwing in another one for fun, once of my favorite rice dishes, "Risi e Bisi." This was some kind of packaged rice mix, plus maybe some scallions too. Served with some kick butt chicken picatta with mushroom sauce. We splurged on shitake! Plus apple fennel slaw with a lemon and oil dressing, my new ab fab! And if you've been following my coleslaw quest, it was odd that this version was the one BF liked best (he who swears he prefers the creamy-type coleslaw).

Here is a link that might be useful: Black rice salad with avocado and grapefruit
o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 9:50

For a change, try Nasi Goreng, Indonesian fried rice. I learned to enjoy it for breakfast when I went to the Island of Borneo in 1999.

Nasi Goreng

Cooked and cubed chicken, shrimp, diced ham or sausage can be added if desired.

6 servings : Active Time: 30 minutes : Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
3 large eggs, beaten
4 small shallots, peeled (or diced onion)
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons whole almonds (I like peanuts)
2 small chile peppers, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil, divided
2 cups finely chopped or shredded vegetables, such as yellow bell pepper, cabbage and broccoli
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons kecap manis, (see Ingredient Note)
4 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 small cucumber, sliced

Preparation
1.Generously coat a wok or large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Pour in eggs, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, lifting the edges so uncooked egg flows underneath, until mostly set, 1 to 2 minutes. Slide out of the pan onto a clean cutting board. When cool enough to handle, cut into thin strips.

2.Place shallots, garlic, almonds and chiles in a food processor. Process to a thick paste. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok (or pan) over medium-high heat. Add the paste and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.

3.Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shallot paste, soy sauce, kecap manis and rice and stir until combined and heated through, about 2 minutes more.

Transfer the Nasi Goreng to a platter. Top with the strips of egg and scallions. Arrange tomato and cucumber slices around the edges.

Ingredient note: Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar-sweetened soy sauce. It's used as a flavoring, marinade or condiment in Indonesian cooking. Find it in Asian food markets or online at importfood.com. To substitute for kecap manis, whisk 1 part molasses with 1 part reduced-sodium soy sauce.

Teresa

o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 10:15

Oh, I forgot to add "Bisi" is peas in Italian. Can also sprinkle with parmesean cheese (but our meal already had a creamy mushroom sauce so no guilding the lily). And you can add ham or pancetta for something more substantial.

o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 14:29

Great rice recipes, thanks to all who took a minute to post their favorite. I think I made fried rice twice over the last two weeks just because I had rice on the brain.

Time for a new Cookalong..... pulling a name.....

********* Teresa nc7 ***************

I'll email Teresa and start the new thread asap.

BTW..... you can add more rice recipes to this thread at any time.

Nancy

o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 16:49

Teresa has made the decision...Onions will be the next Cookalong focus ingredient.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #48 ----- ONIONS
o

Mon, May 21, 12 at 19:04

Yum, I love onions Teresa!
I'm glad we can still add to this thread, and I'm hoping some people will.

If anyone, Sherrman or anyone else, makes paella, can you add it here, please?

o

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 18:28

Since this is about rice....maybe someone can help me. I can't cook rice without it boiling over, sticking to the bottom, etc. It just happened again. I have no problem with zatarans or some other "boxed" rice. Plain white or brown rice is a disaster. Every time, for over 25 years. What am I doing wrong?

o

Wed, May 23, 12 at 18:50

I'm having the same problem since I got my smooth-top stove. I don't know if it cooks hotter, or it's because of my cookware. It doesn't get low enough to just simmer without it boiling over.

I now cook it with half of my pot off the burner.

o

Posted by debrak_2008 (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 20:20

I have an electric smooth top too! Yeah, can't seem to simmer rice on it. Someday I want an induction but don't know if that would make a difference.

o

Thu, May 31, 12 at 7:21

Well I'm late to the party as usual. I finally got around to making Teresa NC's Nasi Goreng! It was YUM, thanks for posting it. I used Asian style marinated tofu instead of eggs, just because I had it and it was easier to add at the last minute.

Served up with garnishes

o

Posted by mamalou (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 10:28

Lemon and Celery Pilaf (Portugal)

I cannot remember where I found this recipe on the web, but it is fantastic. Goes great with lamb, chicken, and fish and seafood!

Ingredients:
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups water
1 cup uncooked regular rice
2 stalks celery, sliced
2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
2 tablespoons snipped parsley

Cook and stir onion and garlic in butter in saucepan until onion is tender.

Stir in remaining ingredients except parsley. Heat to boiling, stirring once or twice; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 14 minutes without lifting cover or stirring.

Remove from heat. Stir in parsley lightly with fork; cover and let steam 5 to 10 minutes.

Yields 7 servings.

Comment

Sponsored