Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong -#46 Poultry

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #46-------POULTRY

Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 16:53

AnnT has picked poultry for this Cookalong and I'm sure everyone has cooked chicken, turkey, duck or Cornish hens many times. Please share your tried and true recipes.

Grilled, roasted, fried, stewed, sautéed? Let's make this one of the best Cookalongs ever. I know that I am always looking for a new recipe for chicken!

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #45---------CHILI!!
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #46-------POULTRY
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 19:14

I have so many favourite chicken, turkey, duck, etc. recipes. I'll start with this one first.

Chicken Breasts Perigord
Source: Lucy Waverman

This flavorful and elegant chicken is stuffed with a combination of fresh and dried mushrooms. Because the breasts are stuffed under the skin, the stuffing moistens the chicken meat and keeps it juicy. Use either dried porcini or dried Chinese mushrooms; they have the most flavor. The sauce can be made ahead of time and the breasts stuffed a few hours before baking.

6 Dried mushrooms
1/2 cup boiling chicken broth
2 tablespoons butter
4 shallots
8 ounce fresh mushrooms finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried tarragon or basil
3 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 Tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
6 single boned chicken breasts, with skin on.

Sauce

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup mushroom-soaking liquid
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons port or Madeira
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
. 1.
Soak the mushrooms in boiling chicken broth for 20 minutes. Drain the
mushrooms, reserving the soaking liquid and the mushrooms
separately.Chop the mushrooms.

Preheat the oven to 375°F

Heat the butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the
shallots and dried and fresh mushrooms. Saute until all the liquid has
evaporated, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Stir in the basil
or tarragon, bread crumbs, cream and parsley. cook until the cream has
reduced and the filling is thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the filling in six portions. with your fingertips, make a
pocket between the skin and the flesh of each chicken breast. Stuff
the filling under the skin of the chicken breasts. Season the breasts
with salt and pepper and place in a buttered baking dish large enough
to hold the breasts in one layer.

Bake for 30 or 40 minutes, basting occasionally, until the juices run
clear.

To make the sauce, in a frying pan, combine the onions and wine. On
high heat, bring to a boil and reduce until you have 1 tablespoon of
liquid.

Pour in the mushroom liquid, reduce to 2 tablespoons and then add the
chicken stock and continue to boil until the stock is reduced by half.
Add the port and simmer for another 2 minutes, or until the sauce is
smooth and strongly flavored.

Combine the cornstarch and cold water and stir into the sauce,
simmering until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Season
with salt and pepper and add any juices from the chicken. To serve,
pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 21:50

Rock Cornish Hens Broil Roasted in Wine --- Julia Child

for 6 servings get 3 hens, 1 lb. each

This recipe is a little involved, but so worth the effort.

marinade:
1 1/2 t. dried tarragon
2 TB finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup dry white wine
3-4 TB olive oil
salt and pepper

brown poultry stock and sauce:
1 carrot and 1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine or dry white vermouth
1 bay leaf
1 small stalk celery with leaves

also:
salt and pepper
melted butter
1 clove garlic
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
1/2 cup Port
1 lb. mushrooms (trim, wash, quarter)
2 TB butter

Prepare hens: cut down each side of hen backbone from neck to tail. Remove backbone (chop into 2-3 pieces and reserve for stock). Turn birds flesh side up and pound breast flat with your fist. (Can't you just see Julia doing this?) Bend knee of drumstick and push up to shoulders, tuck each end of the drumsticks into a slip made in the lower breast skin. Fold wings akimbo behind the backbone on each side.

Marinade hens: salt and pepper hens on both sides, sprinkle with the tarragon; arrange in a baking pan, sprinkle with the scallions, wine, and oil. Cover and chill 3-4 hours, turning and basting, then scrape off the marinade and dry the hens with paper towels.

Stock for sauce - make while the hens are marinating: Brown reserved backbones, necks and giblets with the carrot and onion in a frying pan with a little oil. Scrape into a saucepan and discard oil. Rinse fry pan with stock and pour into saucepan. Add wine, marinade, bay leaf and celery. Bring to a simmer, skim, cover loosely. Simmer on low for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Strain, skim fat off.

Brush birds with melted butter and lay in one layer in a broiler pan. Preheat broiler and set pan 3-inches from the heat. Brown breast side up 5 minutes, baste with butter, then brown breasts side down. (May be done ahead to this point, leave at room temp if wait is not too long)

Simmer garlic cloves 3-4 min. in water. Slip off skins, reserve in a bowl. Grate cheese, set out wine, prepare mushrooms.

Roast hens 1/2 hour at 400 degrees F, salt and pepper skin and sides; sprinkle with cheese and garlic cloves. Pour in port to 1/4-inch in pan. Place pan in upper middle level of oven. Baste every 5 minutes or so; after 20 minutes sprinkle mushrooms over. Hens are done when the thigh pierced has no rosy juices. Remove birds to a hot platter. Arrange mushrooms around, keep warm in oven turned off. Pour stock into the roasting pan and scrape the pan well. Strain into a saucepan, leaving the garlic cloves in the sieve. Skim the fat off and sieve half of the garlic thru the sieve into the sauce. Boil down to thicken the sauce, pour hot sauce over the hens and serve immediately.

Thank you, Julia!

Teresa

o

Posted by jasdip (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 9:01

This is an easy and tasty breading for boneless, skinless breasts that we like.
I've passed the recipe on to friends, and they like it as well.

Easy Breaded Chicken Breasts

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tbsp worcestershire
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup parmesan cheese

Combine butter, dijon, worcestershire and garlic in a bowl.
Combine bread crumbs and parmesan on a plate.

Dip chicken in butter mixture, then roll in crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees 45 minutes, or until done.

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 9:07

That must be Moe's plate with the carrot! :)

o

Posted by grainlady (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:37

This is a quick and easy recipe I make a lot in the summer using fresh produce from the garden. You can use other veggies like yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms.... Skip the sun-dried tomatoes and add some quartered fresh cherry tomatoes or leave them out entirely. I don't use canned beans, but will use white cannellini beans I "cook" in a Thermos, or substitute the cannellini beans with other kinds of beans or chana dal I've stashed pre-cooked in the freezer. Once you make it you'll adapt it to your personal likes/needs and use what's in the refrigerator/freezer.

TUSCAN ROSEMARY CHICKEN AND WHITE BEANS

(source: Country Casseroles & One Dish Meals)

1/3 c. purchased Italian salad dressing (if you use fat-free dressing add a little olive oil)
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. sliced celery
1/4 c. coarsely chopped marinated sun-dried tomatoes
1 t. dried rosemary leaves, crushed (I use a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary)
1 (15-oz.) can cannellini beans drained, rinsed

Heat salad dressing in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.

Reduce heat to low. Add carrots, celery, tomatoes and rosemary. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and juices run clear. Stir in beans. Cook until beans are thoroughly heated. Makes 4 servings.

o

Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:51

Another favourite.

Italian Roasted Chicken
Edited November 10th, 2006

This recipe is my version of the Italian Chicken we use to order in a Italian restaurant in Sault Ste. Marie. It can be made with small roasting chickens, chicken pieces or Cornish game hens.

2 Cornish Game Hens, or whole chicken breasts
3 or 4 sprigs of rosemary
2 heads of garlic, peeled and cracked
Salt, pepper
Juice from one or two lemons
Lemon zest (optional)
Hot red pepper flakes
1/2 cup olive oil

Kalamata olives (optional)
Chicken broth

If using roasting chickens or game hens, split the birds down the back
and remove the back bone.

Place the chicken halves or pieces in the roasting pan. Toss in the
garlic cloves and the sprigs of rosemary. Season with salt, pepper and
red pepper flakes. squeeze the lemons over the chicken and drizzle with
the olive oil.

You can prepare the chicken up to this point and let rest in the fridge
for an hour or two.

Roast in a 450°F

Check after about 20 minutes and add some chicken broth to the pan.
This will stop the garlic from getting burnt. (If you are using the
olives add them now) Add more if needed. When chicken is done, remove
from pan and add a little more chicken broth, stir and serve sauce over
the chicken.

My favourite side with this chicken is Spaghetti Aglio E Olio

o
RE: Cookalong #46-------POULTRY - Souvlaki

Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:58

This is probably the easiest dinner to make.

Chicken Souvlaki.

Chicken Souvlaki

Chicken breasts
Fresh minced garlic
Dried oregano
Lemons
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes

Place on wooden Skewers that have been soaked in water (prevents
sticks from burning.. or on metal skewers.

Rub with fresh minced garlic
and dried oregano

Squeeze fresh lemons over chicken
and some olive oil

Salt and pepper

Marinate for up to 1 hour. If marinating longer do not add lemon juice
until the last hour. Lemon juice "cooks" the flesh and changes the
texture.

Place on hot grill and turn often until done. Serve with Greek salad
and rice.

NOTE: This recipe works well with Pork (I use Pork Tenderloin) and
with Lamb

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 13:21

We always call this dish "Evil Jessy's Chicken" since she originally posted the recipe eons ago. It is still a favorite and wonderfully easy to make.

Alexa

Aunt Sadie's Chicken - from Joan Nathan
Ingredients for Marinade:
1/2 cup light olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 head garlic, diced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 sprigs fresh oregano, chopped
1 cup pitted black olives, halved
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 bay leaves
8 shallots, diced
2 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, halved
Two 16-ounce cans artichokes, halved and drained
1 cup red wine
Preparation:
In a bowl, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, oregano and halved black olives. Pour over chicken breasts in baking dish and top with 3 bay leaves. Cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerator overnight.
After chicken has marinated overnight, saute diced shallots in 2 tablespoons olive oil and drizzle over chicken. Add light brown sugar, halved sun-dried tomatoes and halved and drained artichokes. Pour red wine over all and bake in 350-degree oven for an hour.

o

Posted by bob_cville (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 14:10

A sister-in-law of mine gave me a bottle of a Moroccan spice blend named Ras el Hanout a couple of years ago. I tried several recipes with it but wasn't happy with any until I concocted the following a couple of weeks ago:

Moroccan Chicken

4 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Thighs
2 Tbsp Flour
1 Tbsp Ras el Hanout
2 Tbsp Plain Greek Yogurt

Preheat convection oven to 350 deg F

Mix Ras el Hanout and yogurt in bowl with wooden spoon.

Pat chicken dry with clean paper towel.

Coat chicken with flour then dredge in spiced yogurt and place on baking pan.

Cook for 35 minutes

o

Posted by teresa_nc7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:04

Question: if you want to make one of these dishes with half BLSL chicken breasts and half BLSL chicken thighs, would you cook both for the same amount of time or remove the breasts a few minutes before you take the pan of thighs from the oven? I don't often cook with whole BLSL chicken breasts, that is why I am asking.

Thanks!
Teresa

o

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:07

This has been posted several times, sometimes under the title "Chicken with lemons up its butt". It's a great favorite at my house. Make this recipe with a free range chicken and it's fabulous, but this cooking elevates even ordinary supermarket birds to greatness. It's easy, unfussy, and delicious. It's from Marcella Hazan's 'Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking'--one of my favorite cookbooks of all time.

CHICKEN WITH LEMONS

Marcella sez: If this were a still life its title could be "Chicken with Two Lemons." That is all that there is in it. No fat to cook with, no basting to do, no stuffing to prepare, no condiments except for salt and pepper. After you put the chicken in the oven you turn it just once. The bird, its two lemons, and the oven do all the rest. Again and again, through the years, I met people who come up to me to say, "I have made your chicken with two lemons and it is the most amazingly simple recipe, the juiciest, best-tasting chicken I have ever had." And you know, it is perfectly true.

Ingredients

A 3- to 4-pound chicken
Salt
Black pepper, ground fresh from the mill
2 rather small lemons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash the chicken thoroughly in cold water, both inside and out. Remove all the bits of fat hanging loose. Let the bird sit for about 10 minutes on a slightly tilted plate to let all the water drain out of it. Pat it thoroughly dry all over with cloth or paper towels.
Sprinkle a generous amount of salt and black pepper on the chicken, rubbing it with your fingers over all its body and into its cavity.
Wash the lemons in cold water and dry them with a towel. Soften each lemon by placing it on a counter and rolling it back and forth as you put firm downward pressure on it with the palm of your hand. Puncture the lemons in at least 20 places each, using a sturdy round toothpick, a trussing needle, a sharp-pointed fork, or similar implement.
Place both lemons in the bird's cavity. Close up the opening with toothpicks or with trussing needle and string. Close it well, but don't make an absolutely airtight job of it because the chicken may burst. Run kitchen string from one leg to the other, tying it at both knuckle ends. Leave the legs in their natural position without pulling them tight. If the skin is unbroken, the chicken will puff up as it cooks, and the string serves only to keep the thighs from spreading apart and splitting the skin.
Put the chicken into a roasting pan, breast facing down. Do not add cooking fat of any kind. This bird is self-basting, so you need not fear it will stick to the pan. Place it in the upper third of the preheated oven. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over to have the breast face up. When turning it, try not to puncture the skin. If kept intact, the chicken will swell like a balloon, which makes for an arresting presentation at the table later. Do not worry too much about it, however, because even if it fails to swell, the flavor will not be affected.
Cook for another 30 to 35 minutes, then turn the oven thermostat up to 400 degrees, and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Calculate between 20 and 25 minutes total cooking time for each pound. There is no need to turn the chicken again.
Whether your bird has puffed up or not, bring it to the table whole and leave the lemons inside until it is carved and opened. The juices that run out are perfectly delicious. Be sure to spoon them over the chicken slices. The lemons will have shriveled up, but they still contain some juice; do not squeeze them, they may squirt.
Ahead-of-time note: If you want to eat it while it is warm, plan to have it the moment it comes out of the oven. If there are leftovers, they will be very tasty cold, kept moist with some of the cooking juices and eaten not straight out of the refrigerator, but at room temperature.

o

Posted by jude31 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:15

We had this for dinner one night last week....very good! I halved the recipe. Very quick and easy.

Pictured on the cover of the current issue of Everyday Food:

Serves 4

Broiled Chicken Thighs with Pineapple-Cucumber Salad

2 T. grated lime zest plus 3 T. lime juice (from 3 limes)
2 teas. chili powder
coarse salt and pepper
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1/2 pineapple, chopped (4 cups)
1 English cucumber, cut into 1/4-in. slices (3 cups)
1/4 C. fresh cilantro leaves

1. Heat broiler, with rack 4 in. from heat. Combine lime zest, chili powder, and 2 teas. salt. On a rimmed baging sheet, rub chicken all over with mixture. Turn skin side down.

2. Broil chicken 5 minutes. Flip and broil until skin is crisp and chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, combine lime juice, pineapple, cucumber, and cilantro. Season with salt and peper. Serve chicken with salad.

Even when halving the recipe, we still had enough leftover for another meal.

jude

o
RE: Cookalong #46-------POULTRY--another one

Posted by arley (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:31

One other dish that people may be interested in now that the weather's warmer:

There's a classic European dish of roasted veal breast in tuna sauce, vitello tonnato. Julia Child adapted it for poached turkey breast instead of veal. (It's much cheaper and more tender, and it works very well.) This recipe is ideal for hot weather--especially for a luncheon for several people. You make the entire recipe a day or two in advance: the day of the lunch, all you have to do is take the dish out of the fridge and, if desired, decorate it a bit. You can serve this dish with a salad, or make sandwiches with it, or just eat it plain. Delicious. If you don't like capers, leave them out; it'll still taste great.

I'm reproducing the recipe exactly as Julia has it, but I would note that when I made it I found that the Dijon mustard tended to overpower the other ingredients; even though she calls for 2 to 3 tablespoons, I'd start with only 1 tablespoon and add a little more if needed. (I know it takes chutzpah to overrule Julia, but there you have it.) While it calls for poached turkey breast (and on the next page I include her directions for poaching a turkey breast) if you just want to try out the sauce, you can 'cheat' and go to the deli and get several slices of precooked turkey breast and use that. (I've done that ; works great, although it ends up costing about three times as much as poaching a turkey breast on your own.) She makes the point that you don't serve it as sliced turkey with a sauce on the side; you need to smear each slice with the sauce and let the slices absorb the flavors for a day or two.

You can make the sauce in either a blender or a food processor. If you have a food processor, though, the sauce is extremely easy to make. In fact, my Cuisinart has a push-tube with a hole in it that is designed to drip oil at just the right speed for emulsifying with the other ingredients.

TACCHINO TONNATO from Julia Child's THE WAY TO COOK
(Cold Sliced Turkey Breast in Tuna and Anchovy sauce) For 8 or more servings

1 - 7 oz tin (1 cup) tuna packed in water, drained
1 - 2oz tin of flat fillets of anchovies packed in olive oil, drained
One-fourth cup capers, squeezed dry
The grated peel of one half lemon
2 to 3 tbsp Dijon-type prepared mustard (you may wish to start with just one and add more if needed)
1 large clove of garlic, pureed, then mashed to a very fine paste with one-fourth tsp salt
4 egg yolks
1 to 1 1/2 cups or more virgin olive oil
Drops of lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground white pepper

One 6-pound poached turkey breast (recipe follows this one) or 16 to 20 generous but thin slices of cooked turkey breast
Decorations: 1/3 cup capers, drained; coarsely chopped parsley; lemon wedges

The sauce. Puree the tuna, anchovies, capers, lemon peel, mustard and garlic paste in the machine, then add the egg yolks and puree several seconds, until the mixture has thickened. Finally, with the motor running, start adding the oil in a very thin stream of droplets, and continue without pause until three-fourths of a cup of oil has gone in and the sauce has thickened into a heavy cream. It will not be as thick as mayonnaise, but should hold itself in creamy suspension. Process in one-half cup more of oil, depending on how thick a sauce you wish to have. Season carefully to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper; the sauce should have character, but should not be too strong in taste or it will kill off the turkey.

Slicing the turkey. If you are using a poached turkey breast, discard the skin. Carefully remove in one piece the whole side of each breast from the carcass. Cut the meat at a slant crosswise (across the grain) into elegant slices less than 1/8 inch thick.

Assembling. Spoon a layer of sauce in the bottom of a serving platter, and arrange the turkey on top, spreading each slice with a coating of sauce. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours before serving.

Serving. Let the platter sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to take off the chill. Meanwhile sprinkle on the capers and parsley, and decorate with lemon wedges.

Poached Turkey Breast

Set up a 6-pound bone-in breast of turkey breast up in a kettle just large enough to hold it comfortably, surround it with 1 cup each of chopped carrots, onions and celery, and a large herb bouquet. Pour in 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of dry white French vermouth or dry white wine, and enough water to cover the breast by 1/2 inch. Bring to the simmer on top of the stove; skim off the gray scum, which will continue to rise for several minutes. Salt lightly, then cover the pot loosely and maintain at the bare simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, adding a little boiling water if the liquid evaporates to expose the turkey. It's done when a meat thermometer, pushed in to the thickest part of the meat near the shoulder (but not touching bone) reads 162 to 165 F. Let the turkey cool in its broth for at least 30 minutes.

o

Posted by publickman (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 15:42

Here's a recipe that I could have put on the chili Cookalong, but I was not sure about the rules:

Yucatecan Chicken Chili

Ingredients:

6 chicken thighs or 1 chicken
2 limes, sliced
rinds of 2 lemons, sliced
2 oranges, sliced (preferably somewhat green)
1 carrot, chopped
2 bay leaves
6 cups water
2 onions, cut in halves and divided
8 cloves garlic
3 dried Ancho chilies
2 dried Pasilla chilies
4 dried Guajillo chilies
1-2 dried Cayenne Chilies (optional)
2 tbsp oregano (divided)
1/3 cup flour
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp Achiote paste
2 tsp salt, or to taste
cilantro, for garnish

Directions:

Wash the chicken and leave whole or cut into pieces. Place the lemon, lime, and orange slices in stockpot and add the chicken, carrot, bay leaves, and water. Add one onion and the garlic cloves. Slit open all the chilies and remove all seeds, and then the chilies add those to the pot, and bring to a boil on high heat. Put 1 tablespoon of oregano in a tea ball or bouquet garni and add to the pot. Reduce the heat to simmer and allow to cook covered for 40 minutes, or one hour if using a whole chicken.

After one hour, turn off heat and allow the pot to stand covered for about 20-30 minutes more while the chicken continues to cook. Retrieve all the chilies and place in a small bowl with about 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. If possible, remove some of the peeling; otherwise puree them with the 1/2 cup liquid using a small food processor or hand blender on low speed. Strain the puree through a food mill or sieve to remove the skin, and reserve the strained puree.

Strain off the liquid from the stockpot and reserve.

When the chicken is cool enough (you can refrigerate it at this point), remove all the meat and reserve. Save the bones and discard the bay leaves. Return the bones to the stock and simmer for another hour with a 1/2 onion.

Strain the stock and allow it to cool for a while. Then, using a fat separator, divide the stock from the fat. Reserve the stock, which should be about 4 cups or slightly more.

Mince the remaining 1/2 onion. Add 1/3 cup of the skimmed fat to a large sauce pan over high heat. When the fat is hot, add the 1/2 cup flour and make a roux that is light brown or tan. Add the onion and cook about 1-2 minutes more, and then add 2 cups of reserved stock that has been defatted. Stir to combine, and add the tomato paste, one tablespoon of oregano, Achiote paste, and 1 tsp salt. Check for salt flavor and add more salt if necessary. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions have cooked, and then puree with a stick blender (or food processor) and return to saucepan.

Chop the reserved chicken meat and add to the saucepan with 1/4 cup of chili paste that you have reserved (or about half of it). Stir to combine, and serve with tortillas or rice.

*Note: You will have approximately 2 cups of stock and 1/4 cup of chili paste left over. This can be used to make a sauce for enchiladas or tamales.

Lars

o

Posted by Lindac (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 11:07

And so far no one has mentioned those old favorites ( to me) of Chicken pot pie and chicken a la king.
I don't use a recipe for either, just a medium white sauce made with half milk and half chicken broth....and chicken. For the A la king I add sauteed mushrooms and strips of orasted red peppers....serve in a puff pastry shell.
And for the pot pie, I add cooked carrot buttons to the cream sauce and the chicken and un cooked frozen peas, and some sauteed chopped onions....top with the crust of choice ( simple pie crust, puff pastry or biscuit dough rolled to about 1/4 inch) and bake until crust is browned.

And then there is that midwestern favorite of chicken and noodles over mashed potatoes....but that's a different thread!!
Linda C

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 12:00

Arley, I had to smile, you reminded me of Dishesdone's "Lemon Up the Butt Chicken". I miss her here.

Jude, that sounds really good, I'll have to try that. I like the idea of the pineapple and cucumber better than the chicken itself, LOL.

I like just plain old roasted chicken as well as anything else, but I'm a big fan of Lars' Algerian Chicken. It's as good cold or room temperature, nearly, as it is hot. I often use the seasoning on chicken pieces if I don't have a whole chicken.

Algerian Roast Chicken

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken
4 cloves of garlic
1-1/2 tbsp Kosher salt
1 teaspoon of sumac (most essential spice for this)
1/2 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek
3/4 tsp cumin
3 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1 tbsp minced Thai basil (or 1/2 tsp fennel)
2 lemons
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
extra herbs, 1 tsp each minced fresh oregano and basil, optional
4-5 sprigs of thyme

Directions:
Start charcoal for outdoor barbeque, using large chunks of mesquite wood and charcoal; if using an oven, preheat to 400 degrees F.

Place the chicken in a roasting pan with a rack. Slide your fingers under the breasts to separate the skin from the meat, turn the chicken over and do the same with the thighs.

Mash the garlic with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt in a mortar and pestle or finely chop the garlic and incorporate the salt into it with the side of your knife or back of a spoon. Add the sumac, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, and cumin and mix to pulverize the seeds. Add butter and basil and combine to mix. Tuck pieces of the butter into the "pockets" under the skin.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon all over the chicken, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle freshly ground black pepper. Season the cavity with pepper, tuck in the lemon halves and more herbs into the cavity if desired.

Place the chicken on the barbeque and cover, leaving vents fully open to maintain heat.

Baste the chicken every 15 minutes alternating water and pan drippings.

Midway through cooking turn the chicken 90 degrees. Continue frequent basting. The cooking time for a 3-1/2 pound bird is about 1 to 1-1/2 hours, depending on how hot your fire is. Cook to an internal temperature of 160�, measured in the thigh.

Let rest covered about 30 minutes before carving. Squeeze fresh lemon juice into the roasting juices, and pour into a gravy boat. Add salt, if needed.

Serve with roasted potatoes, green salad, and French or Italian bread.

You can add the potatoes to the pan if you want to roast them with the chicken. I generally parboil them for 10 minutes and then grill or roast them for 20 to 30 minutes.

I also really, really like Sol's Chicken in Caramel Sauce. I just use whatever chicken I have on hand and I keep fish sauce especially for this recipe.

Chicken in Caramel Sauce
� 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fish sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon slivered ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 small dried, red chilies, broken in half
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 shallot, sliced
1 3/4 lbs. skinless, boneless dark meat chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/4 lb., skinless, boneless white meat chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
� Cooked rice
Fresh cilantro sprig for garnishing
� Combine the sugar, water, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, and chilies in a small bowl. Mix well. Set aside.
� Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the shallot and saut� for a few minutes. Add the chicken and saut� until slightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium. Cook until the liquid is reduced by half, about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place rice in a serving bowl and spoon the chicken over it. Garnish with cilantro.

Boy, this thread makes me glad I have 30 broilers that'll be ready for the freezer sometime the first couple weeks of June!

Annie

o

Posted by sherrmann (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 13:17

Quick and easy...

Slice a chicken breast or two horizontally, or cut it into chunks, depending on how you will serve it.

Sprinkle with EITHER

1) salt and curry powder; OR
2) paprika, cayenne powder, salt and garlic powder; OR
3) seasoned salt

Saute in olive oil or butter for a few minutes. Serve over spaghetti, or noodles, or greens (fresh or cooked), with rice, whatever.

Completely versatile, quick, low in fat and calories, ready in 15-20 minutes. And cheap, too!

o

Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 13:53

Annie, here's a dumb question.
I tried looking all over Sol's site for the recipe so I can see a picture, but to no avail.

In my silly mind, "caramel sauce" is synonymous with "sweet". I'm hoping it's not sweet at all; it just describes a dark golden colour of the chicken.

Can you enlighten me?

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 15:57

jasdip, I'm sorry to tell you that it is, indeed, somewhat sweet. The sauce reminds me of that dark and slightly sweet sauce I get on beef and broccoli stir fries at "chinese" restaurants here.

It's not hugely sweet, it's slightly sweet, which nicely offsets the heat from those two peppers. Since I'm a wuss, I only use one pepper anyway!

Annie

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 16:04

I'm lucky to have a source for locally raised poultry so we have it often. I prefer bone-in chicken to boneless and we like all the parts.

As I get older, I seem to make simple poultry dishes more than those with complex sauces. Here's one I first made for DH when we were dating and he still requests it some 35+ years later.

MUSTARD CHICKEN

4 boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 of a juicy lemon
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Butter or margarine
About 1/4 cup Dijon-style prepared mustard
1/2 cup unseasoned fine dry breadcrumbs

Squeeze lemon juice over both sides of chicken, then season with salt & pepper. Melt about 1/4 cup of butter and brush both sides lightly with butter or margarine and place in shallow broiler-proof pan. Roast in preheated 425 degree oven, turning twice, for 15-25 minutes or until just barely tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly.

Spread the flat side with a layer of mustard; then turn breast mustard side down into a bowl containing the crumbs. Press with fingers to make a thin layer of crumbs over the mustard. Return to baking pan, crumb side up. Repeat with the other 3 chicken breasts.

Drizzle the remaining melted butter or margarine (should be about 2 Tbs. � if not, melt additional) evenly over the crumbs. (I like to brush the butter on to get it even but it takes practice to do it gently without messing up the crumbs.)

Set broiler about 6-7" from heat and preheat. Broil until crumbs are crisp and golden brown. Watch carefully that crumbs do not burn. Serve warm or cold.

Photobucket

o

Posted by chase (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 8:33

Looking through all my chicken recipes was a trip down memory lane. I can't believe how many I have from this site.

That and this thread has me motivated to change things up a bit, bring back the old and try the new!

This is a recipe we really enjoy.

Chicken Cacciatore ... my way

8 Chicken breasts or a combo
-of breasts
-and thighs
1 1/2 Tbl Olive Oil
1 1/4 Cup Onions, Chopped
8 Oz Mushrooms,quartered
1 1/2 Tsp Garlic, Minced
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
2 Tbl Parsley, Chopped
2 Cup Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup chicken broth
1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives, pitted and
-quartered

Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a 10-12" nonstick pan over med-high heat. When hot,add the chicken and brown well(work in batches if it won't all fit).

As chicken pieces are browned, transfer to a foil pan (8-9" square). In the same pan, add the remaining oil and the onions, mushrooms, garlic. Stir often over med-high heat until vegetables are limp
(12-15 minutes).

Stir in the tomato sauce, chicken broth,oregano and parsley. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often; reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 minutes to blend flavors. Add olives to sauce, remove from heat and
pour over the chicken in the pan. Seal pan with foil and bake, covered, in a 375f oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.

**** Additions last time 1 sweet pepper sliced

o

Posted by jessyf (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 9:21

Alexa, I had forgotten about that recipe, thanks for the reminder. I have a jar of sundried tomatoes that just asked to be used up in that one!

We do a LOT of chicken (chicken Marsala last night, in fact) since I have three nearby stores that carry chickens w/out hormones/antibiotics, natural, organic, sustainably raised, etc.

I'm going to share what I do with a roast chicken instead of the recipe itself.

Whenever we prepare a roast chicken, one of my dinner prep steps is to pull out my pressure cooker and pre-stock it with cut up onions, carrots, celery, maybe a parsnip, couple twists of the pepper grinder, bouillon because I do like salt, and couple of springs of Italian parsley and dried dill.

DH's job is to cut up the chicken and he'll toss the back into the pressure cooker before we sit down to eat. After dinner I'll debone what wasn't eaten and toss the bones into the pressure cooker, add water, turn on the flame, and half an hour later I have chicken stock. I strain the liquid, measure the liquid gold (grin) into mason jars, label and freeze.

If you don't have a pressure cooker, a stock pot would work as well, it would just take a little longer.

o

Posted by pat_t (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 16:43

This recipe is, by far, the most requested one in our house. My daughter LOVES it and will eat any leftovers for her lunch the next day COLD.

I have no clue where I got the recipe!

I always double the marinade.

THAI CHICKEN SKEWERS

1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 Tblsp. finely chopped onion
2 Tblsp. finely chopped parsley
2 Tblsp. fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. pepper sauce (I use Sriracha)
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
Wooden skewers, pre-soaked

Combine all ingredients except chicken and skewers in medium bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat broiler or grill. Thread marinated chicken on skewers. Broil or grill 6 to 8 minutes, turning frequently. (Do not overcook.)

Serve warm on skewers.

o

Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 17:45

I made this and we quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't put so much sauce on top, next time.

Slow-Cooker Sweet Butter Chicken (Donna-Marie Pye)

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp tandoori curry paste or tikka curry paste, divided
1 tbsp minced gingerroot, or 1/2 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
12-oz can evaporated milk
1 can tomato paste
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (I used 2 breasts, cut in half)
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp chopped toasted cashews

In a saucepan, cook 1 tbsp of the butter until just beginning to brown. Add 1 tbsp of the curry paste, ginger, cumin and paprika; cook, stirring, 2 minutes until fragrant.

Stir in evaporated milk, tomato paste and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, 10 minutes or until thickened.

Add the remaining butter to the slow cooker and coat bottom and sides.

In a bowl, combine yogurt and remaining 1 tbsp curry paste. Add chicken and coat with mixture. Arrange in slow cooker and pour sauce evenly over top.

Cook on Low 5-6 hours or on High 3 hours, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Stir in lime juice and serve over basmati rice, sprinkled with cilantro and cashews.

Butter Chicken

o

Posted by tobyt (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 16:55

This has become a favourite week night quickie dinner. Pitting the olives takes the most time of anything, but it's really quick and very tasty!
Jane

Chicken with Olives and Feta Cheese
Bon Appetit : November 2000

by Peter Rasmussen, Libertyville, IL
A boldly flavored dish that's great served over orzo (rice-shaped pasta).
Yield: Makes 6 servings
2 pounds chicken thighs with skin and bones
1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
3/4 cup Kalamata olives or other brine-cured black olives, pitted, sliced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried

2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until brown, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
Add onion to drippings in skillet. Saute over medium heat 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juices, olives, wine and oregano. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to sauce; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 25 minutes.
Transfer chicken and sauce to platter. Sprinkle with feta cheese and serve.

o

Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 19:27

This is hands-down my very favourite chicken recipe. This is the original, but I pare it down so that it suits us, with leftovers. This serves 12-14, and there are 2 of us :-)
I don't like sweet, so I omit the brown sugar.

Chicken Marbella
from The Silver Palate Cookbook

Preparation time: 20 minutes
Marinating time: 12 or more hours
Cooking time: approximately 1 hour
Yield: 12-14 servings

4 chickens, 2-1/2 pounds each, quartered
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped

1. In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper and coarse salt to taste, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, olives, capers and juice, and bay leaves. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in one or two large, shallow baking pans and spoon marinade over it evenly. Sprinkle chicken pieces with brown sugar and pour white wine around them.

4. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices. Chicken is done when thigh pieces, pricked with a fork at their thickest, yield clear yellow (rather than pink) juice.

5. With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.

o

Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 9:34

Jasdip, that chicken Marbella recipe is a favorite at our house too. I do use the brown sugar since it's only about a tablespoon per piece and makes a nice crust on the skin.

Here's a few others that we like.

HONEY CURRIED CHICKEN

4 bone-in chicken or boneless chicken breasts or 1 cut up chicken
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs. prepared mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder
2 Tbs. dark rum

Place chicken skin side up in shallow baking dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Pour sauce over chicken. Bake for one hour (about 40 minutes for boneless breasts), basting occasionally with sauce.

Note: When I use the boneless breasts, I turn them over halfway through the cooking time. I also melt the butter in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and then add the honey and orange juice directly to it so I don't dirty more measuring cups.

CHICKEN PICATTA

4 chicken breasts (6 oz. each)
2 T. olive oil
1/4 c. white wine
1 t. minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. capers
2 T. butter
Fresh lemon slices, at least one per chicken breast

Prepare the chicken for cutlets. I use a rolling pin to smash and roll then until fairly thin. Try not to break the chicken apart. Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken cutlets, dredge in flour, and shake off excess flour.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Saute cutlets until brown on one side, 2-3 minutes. Flip the cutlets and cover the pan for 2-3 minutes. Remove cutlets and poor off remaining oil if there is a lot.

Return the pan to medium heat and add wine and garlic and cook until liquid is nearly gone and garlic barely begins to brown - about 2 minutes. Add broth, lemon juice and capers.

Return cutlets to pan and cook for 1 minute on each side. Remove cutlets to platter and add butter and lemon slices to the sauce. Melt butter and then pour the sauce over the cutlets.
------------

Lincoln Logs and Chicken Tetrazini were my mom's favorite ways to prepare poultry leftovers.

LINCOLN LOGS

1 1/2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, finely diced
1 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped and lightly toasted
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 Tbs. finely minced fresh parsley
1/4 - 1/2 tsp.salt
dash of pepper
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 cup white sauce (recipe below)
Cooking oil

Mix chicken or turkey, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, walnuts, celery, onion, salt, pepper, and paprika. Moisten with 1/3 cup of sauce. Form mixture into 12 logs, each 3 inches long. Roll in remaining bread crumbs and fry in oil. Drain and serve with remaining sauce or leftover gravy.

Notes: If you have trouble shaping the logs, chill mixture first. White sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, as can the entire logs before frying, storing covered. Sauteed mushrooms can be added to the sauce to be served with the logs. Fresh or dried herbs can also be added in place of some of the parsley; tarragon is especially good.

White sauce:
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
dash pepper
dash paprika
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half

In medium saucepan, over low heat, melt butter; stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and half-and-half; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth. Makes 1 cup

o

Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 9:43

Ruthanna, thanks for your comment about using brown sugar. If that's pretty much all it does; is giving a nice crust, I'll do it next time. Thanks!

I'm planning on making it soon and having 2 neighbours over for dinner.

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 10:14

I can't wait to try some of these recipes! BF and I have chicken about once a week. Last night we had chicken breasts stuffed with feta and spinach. Good but nothing spectacular. We get a lot of our chicken recipes from Cooking Light, never have anything really bad there, and some are great. I'm going to post my favorite.

Also, BF and I eat a lot of turkey burgers. I know I had a recipe for them originally, but I can't find it so now I just wing it. I think you start off with about two pounds-2.5 lbs. of ground turkey. I don't use the lowest fat version, but the next one up, which is still pretty low. To that, add a cup of chopped spinach (the frozen kind, but thaw it), and a cup of lowfat feta (this is for flavor, you can use full fat feta but it will make a gooier situation when you go to fry them). Then add some finely chopped onion to taste. I use dried onion, a heaping TBLSP. Add 1.5 tsp. chopped garlic (more or less depending on your taste, this is fairly garlicky), 1.5 tsp. salt, more or less depending on your taste, and 2 heaping tsp. Penzey's Turkish seasoning, or your favorite Greek seasoning, or Ras el Harnout, which is a Moroccan seasoning, or any combination Mediterranean style seasoning you like. I also add a generous shake of alleppo red pepper, or you could sub some hot paprika, with discretion! Shape these into patties, and freeze the extras to pop out for a quick dinner. These are great on pita with lettuce, tomato, cucumber (or a pickle) and tahini sauce.

Here's a recipe for the tahini sauce, from Cooking Light:
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1 TBLSP tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 TBLSP lemon juice
1 minced garlic clove (or less, lol!)
Dash of salt

(I add a tiny bit of sugar since I find nonfat yogurt very tart. I also add fresh chopped chives and parsley, and no garlic. Sometimes I use dried chives and parsley if I don't have the fresh, but if you do, you have to let the sauce sit for a while to absorb the flavor of the dried herbs).

Here's our all time favorite Cooking Light chicken dish:

Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs (Lpink's note: we make this with chicken breasts)

Speed up prep by marinating only 30 minutes. Serve with cabbage-carrot slaw. (Lpink's note: you don't have to marinate!)

Cooking Light MAY 2011

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and 2 tablespoons sauce)
Hands-on:31 Minutes
Total:2 Hours, 43 Minutes (Lpink's note: This only takes me about 45 min. to make)
Cost Per Serving:$1.91

Ingredients
1/3 cup spicy brown mustard
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons yellow mustard (Lpink's note: you can leave this out or just sub a little more brown mustard. We don't usually have yellow mustard around)
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
8 bone-in chicken thighs, skinned (Lpink's note: I use this sauce on two or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Use fewer breasts for a saucier, tastier, albeit higher calorie entree)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Cooking spray

Preparation
1. Combine first 9 ingredients. Place half of mixture in a zip-top plastic bag; reserve remaining mixture. Add chicken to bag; seal. Chill 2 hours. (Lpink's note: you can skip this. I just read recently online somewhere about "food myths" and a marinade doesn't really penetrate very far into the meat anyway, so really not necessary).

2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. (Lpink's note: we also do this on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet, and then braise the chicken a little bit in the sauce as it thickens,)

3. Remove chicken from bag. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with reserved mustard mixture. (Lpink's note: you have to heat this up a bit and reduce it just a bit, which works out great if you put the chicken in the pan while you are doing it. It only takes a couple of minutes to do).

o

Posted by paprikash (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 12:09

I have a quickie chicken a la king recipe I sometimes make but this one is over the top fabulous:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken a la King

Recipe By : Adapted from Food Network
Serving Size : 4

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/4 cup plus 1 T unsalted butter
2 large shallots -- minced
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry sherry
3 3/4 cups chicken broth
6 sprigs plus 1 T, minced, flat-leaf parsley
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 teaspoon Kosher salt -- plus more to taste
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms -- trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream
4 cups 1-inch cubed poached chicken -- recipe follows
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
Serve with buttered noodles, toast points,
biscuits or crepes

Poached Chicken:
10 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small onion -- halved
1 small carrot -- halved
1 stalk celery -- halved
3 pounds chicken breast halves on the bone
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
Put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot,
celery, and chicken breasts in a medium
saucepan. Cover with the broth and bring
just to a boil. Lower the heat to very low
and cover. Poach the chicken for 30
minutes or until firm to the touch.
Remove the pan from the heat, uncover,
and cool the chicken in the liquid for
30 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a
cutting board and reserve the liquid.
Bone and skin the chicken and cut the
meat into cubes. Discard skin and bones.
Strain the broth and store, covered, in the
refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for
later use. Use 3 3/4 cups of it for the
chicken a la king.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup of the butter and saute the shallots until softened - about 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Whisk in the sherry and broth and bring to a boil while stirring. Add the parsley and thyme sprigs, lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook the sauce for 30 minutes stirring frequently.

Meanwhile heat the remaining butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the mushrooms until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Strain the sauce into mushrooms and season with the salt, pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Whisk in the creme fraiche.

Add the minced parsley, chicken and chives to the sauce and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately over noodles, toast points, split baking powder biscuits or wrapped in crepes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : I serve over Pepperidge Farm puff pastry shells. I also add sauteed green pepper strips and a 2 oz jar of pimento and use heavy cream instead of creme fraiche.

o

Thu, May 3, 12 at 16:54

Here's a chicken recipe I make that has lots of flavor for the calorie content.

CHICKEN THIGHS WITH LEEKS & SHITAKES (2 servings � 330 calories each)

2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
1 Tbs. flour
3 tsp. olive oil, divided
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, trimmed and sliced
4 oz. shitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/8 tsp. salt
Sprinkle of ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 tsp. dried

Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.

Heat 2 tsp. oil in nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add the remaining 1 tsp. of oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over med-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender.

Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine, coriander and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon and add salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 11:47

Drawing a name right now....

********** Jasdip *****************

I'll email you.

Nancy

o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 12:58

Jasdip has picked rice for the next Cooklong.

Thanks to all who posted their poultry recipes, I can't wait to try them.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #47 ------ RICE
o

Wed, May 9, 12 at 13:21

I was coming here earlier to post my Chicken with 40 Cloves garlic that we had the other nite, then saw my name.

I have a fear of being picked for a cookalong, and sure enough!

Comment

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH