SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Cookalong Guidelines

wizardnm
12 years ago

In the past our Cookalongs were a joint effort here on the Cooking Forum. We had fun coming up with recipes using the focus ingredient.

****** Based on responses, I would like to try alternating our focus ingredient, using the basic food groups as a guide, along with items like seasonings, spices and other flavorings (Misc)

So one week we might do a vegetable, the next might be a Misc., the next fruit, the next Dairy, the next Grains, the next fats and sugars and the next Meats, Poultry and Fish.

There was also a suggestion to try a meat substitute. It seems like that would come under one of the basic food groups and a recipe like that could be posted there. Someone could also pick that as a focus.

******When we use a meat for a focus ingredient, I think it would be best to use a specific cut on most items. For example, beef roasts, ground beef, pork chops, spareribs, etc. Poultry could be Cornish hens, chicken breasts, whole chicken, thighs, etc. The fish category would include ocean fish, specific seafood, fresh water fish, etc.

Overall, just think about the type of meat, poultry or fish.

For each Cookalong I drew a name from those who had participated in the previous one. I think that worked pretty good as long as posters checked back to see if their name had been drawn. Many times I had to email the person, which worked fine, as long as their email was enabled through GW. A few times I had to post to get their attention.

****** From now on I will do both, post at the bottom of the current thread and email at the same time. So it's really important to make sure your email is enabled. After two days (48 hrs) I will pick another name if I have had no response.

******Each Cookalong will last about two weeks. If we end on a Sunday night, I can post the name of the person to pick the next focus on Monday and we can get started ASAP.

Towards the end of the two weeks, please try to make one of the recipes that someone has submitted and do a write up, if you can post a picture that would be even better.

******Just as a reminder, please only post T+T (tried and true recipes) as someone else may have questions for you. If you do have a special recipe that fits the category that you haven't had a chance to try, it would be best to try it, then post and report. You can always add to the appropriate thread even if we have moved on. In fact, I would encourage this.

Let's learn all we can. Ask questions on the thread about the focus ingredient, it's important for us all to learn.

Several have mentioned doing a broad group of recipes, such as casseroles, desserts, etc. While recipes in the regular Cookalong might include these things, I do plan on doing more Cookalong Extra subjects also. So far we have only done cookies. I feel these topics will supplement the item specific Cookalongs.

Now is the time for questions.....

I hope everyone realizes I am just trying to be a little more organized with my suggestions in hopes that everyone will participate and not be confused.

In just a little while I will email someone to pick the first focus ingredient.

Nancy

Comments (4)