SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Is this an issue? Or am I getting old?

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

When you get to a certain age, you find there are things that are common now that you just don't get. Then you start to wonder, am I becoming my parents who were just stick-in-the-muds about changing with the times? Or is it nostalgia with rose-colored glasses filtering memories of how great it used to be? Are the cultural changes taking place really for the worst and a level of concern is warranted? Or is it really just what aging has done to peoples' perspectives for over a 1,000 years?

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."
--Socrates

I touched upon this issue when asking about thank you notes and how and whether they are done any more.

I got blasted in a prior thread for waxing nostalgic over melody vs. rap music.

At the risk of being blasted again, my latest issue is around the incredible level of violence and the ubiquity for action in tv and film (not to mention video games). Two events have brought this to mind:

• I recently watched the new Sherlock Holmes movie on TV and was surprised to find them both spryly beating up people....like a victorian James Bond.

• I watched the season opener of Ironsides with Blair Underwood as the lead. It opens with him beating up a suspect in the back of a car. Really??? At which point, I turned it off.

Both Sherlock Holmes and Ironsides were respected for their mental agility over anything else. Is using one's intellect so passé that even characters whose hallmark was how smart they were now have to prove brawn over brain to be accepted?

Of course, the larger concern is not about TV shows and movies. It is about the impact culture has on people and their actions...and the subsequent impact peoples' actions, attentions and abilities have on culture. Is it just an accident that the US ranks second only to Mexico in the OECD for murder rates and highest in the world for incarceration rates? While we rank 16th out of 23 in adult numeracy and 20th for literacy? All this as we struggle to compete in a world of high tech where creativity and problem solving and communication skills become only more essential.

I'm reminded of what Mark Twain said: "Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain at one end you lose at the other. It's like feeding a dog on his own tail. It won't fatten the dog."

Should I worry? Or am I being an old fuddy duddy and just need to get with the times...

Comments (41)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida