SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taft

Porch Makes Family Room Dark

taft
12 years ago

We have a 10 ft deep porch on the south side of our family/dining room. It runs the length of the house. I hate that it makes the open concept family room dark. The Master bedroom above it is bright and sunny.

My question is...what can I do about it, if anything? I've talked with a contractor about putting skylights in that porch roof directly over the windows below so more light could get into the house. He was not keen on the idea and said the expense and the risk of leaking wouldn't justify the remodel. So I dropped it. But here we are again, winter, and the house is dark.

So, do you guys have any suggestion's? I can leave things as they are and keep living with a dark room (actually half of my house on the main floor), do the skylights, or take the porch roof off completely and call it a deck? I've also wondered about removing the roof and doing something on the lines of a pergola type structure so I can keep my electricals. If we take the roof off I'll lose my porch lights as the house is slab on grade so we can't run new electrical and mount lights on the house.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths