SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misa_gw

home inspection question.....

misa
16 years ago

Well...finally the time has come for home inspection. This is a first time process for me, first home is new construction..things ran differently. I spoke with the home inspector...seems respectable, recommeded by RE AGENT. Based on everyones experiences...what should I concentrate on, not worry about, things that maybe you should have mentioned but did not and now regret it. We'll also go for radon and termite as well. Any advice, suggestions are always helpful. Thank you.

Comments (27)

• nyc_sod
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm having my inspection on Friday. I did a lot of research and determined that the highest qualified certification is the ICC (International Code Council)Combination certification. It is the combination of successful exams for residential building, mechanical, electrical and plumbing. This is not the same as being a member of ICC, they should be certified.

I also learned that the ASHI certification is highly respected. Again being a member is not the same as being certified.

This is not to say that you can't get a highly capable inspector without those certifications, I just think that you are more likely.

T

• kec01
    16 years ago

I would get an inspector that isn't connected with the real estate agent. You want someone who is independent.

• Related Discussions

HVAC Home Inspection question

Q

Comments (6)
    You may have a dual fuel system with a furnace and a heat pump. Do you know what fuel is supplied to the furnace? In a dual fuel system if the heat pump is being used, the furnace blower would come on but it would not fire. If it did it could over heat the heat exchanger and damage it. On very cold days, the heat pump would not operate. The furnace would fire and heat the house. If you have concerns it would be best to have an HVAC professional do a thorough inspection.
    ...See More

Temperature & Pressure Relief Valve - Home Inspection Question

Q

Comments (4)
    Regardless of the logic that a tankless T&P may not need to be gravity drained the prevailing policy of the local plumbing inspectors is what matters and will get you a red or green tag. If the tankless doesn't need to be gravity drained it may take many years to filter into the codes. I think I read somewhere that Watts, the manufacturer of the majority of T&P valves, that in order for the T&P valve to meet spec has to be gravity drained and they don't mention tank or tankless as a distinction. Look at the last paragraph on page 2 of the following link... http://media.wattswater.com/ES-10L-100XL.pdf You can call the inspectors and ask, but I'd want something in writing that the current install is OK. Was this tankless install permitted and inspected? Since this concern is documented in the home inspection and you are bound by disclosure to offer that info you are right to want to get the answer and do what is necessary. Let us know what you find out.
    ...See More

bank-owned winterized home: inspection and mortgage questions

Q

Comments (23)
    cordavamom: "He said as long as the house had power he could do an inspection on the whole house, he'd turn on the water etc. The bank is okay with him doing this. Winter is well over, (it's 77 degrees here today). the bank has made no mention of my son having the home re winterized if the contract falls through -- is this normal?" I can't speak for what is normal with a bank. That said, obviously if the house has power and gas, the electrical and HVAC system can indeed be inspectedand of course, roof structural, which are non-utilities dependent. However, IMO, the HI is a fool to turn on the water....as he is bargaining that there are no problems with the plumbing that could cause property damage. Granted, with a 3 year old home, the chance of that being the case is less than with an older home...however, with a foreclosure, all bets are off as far as the norm...as all too often foreclosed properties are damaged due to owners who want pay-back because of the foreclosure (such as those who were duped by the predatory lenders) or, in a divorce, people can get mighty vindictive. Sometimes the damage is obvioussometimes hidden. We had neighbors who divorced. They had a beautifully upgraded home, very well maintained; the hubby was the original owner of the house brand new, pre-marriage. They split because the wife was having an affair; she continued to live in the house with the children...then had affair guy move in with her. Needless to say, soon to be X was VERY upset...the house went into foreclosure. Wife and affair guy moved out. The bank held an open house through a realtorand we were shocked to see what had been done to the insidedamage everywherethe couple who bought it spent thousands on repairsand he was a contractor..so labor was not an issue. That said, your son needs to make certain that the HI carries errors and omissions insurancethat way, if any damage occurs once the water is turned on, the HI has the financial resources with which to cover it....in addition, your son should make sure that there is some sort of condition in the HI contract where your son cant be held for damages due to the HI turning on the water when he hasnt a clue as to whether of not there is a plumbing problem Last but not least, the water should be on for at least 48 hours prior to inspection, in order to determine if there are any leaks as water somtimes needs a while to circulate before some problems can become evident Last but not least, as you son has no claim to the property, the bank, as the owner/seller would be responsible for any required "winterization", unless your son signed something agreeing otherwise Hope this helps
    ...See More

Home Inspections & Renting Back Questions

Q

Comments (10)
    Don't forget to change your homeowners insurance policy over to a renters policy after your closing. The new owner will need her OWN insurance (you can't have insurance on a house you don't own), and the house will be covered. Your status will be "tenant at sufferance" or something--you're there bcs the owner is allowing it. Sort of as if you are her house-sitting cousin, or something. So you may not be able to get "renter's insurance" (though you should if you can, to protect your own belongings--it's not expensive--$30 a month or something). Lots of people do rent back or overstay w/ no problem. We did--not a month, but a few days. It really helped the sellers and was not inconvenient for us at all. In your case, it sounds like a win/win--she'd like you to stay, covering the expenses, and YOU would like to stay. Just decide what would be fair, in terms of potential damage, and stuff, and make arrangements. I agree w/ the idea of getting a lawyer to make sure the wording is clear, etc., if you can. Our sellers put some money in an escrow account to be tapped if there was damage at the move-out. I think we asked for $200 to help mitigate the cost of redoing the floor when we saw scratches after they moved. (It was the stupidest thing I've ever done--unknowingly, of course. The new refinish job was crummy, and the floor have been a nightmare ever since. We should have left them and put a rug over the scratches.) And of course, some money changes hands, either in payments, or in an adjustment to the sale price, so that you will be covering all or most of her homeowner expenses during that month. Our sellers covered our expenses are OUR rates (higher mortgage payments, maybe even higher percentage) instead of theirs--that's an issue to discuss. Will you cover a month's worth of her insurance? mortage, utilities? I do like the idea of a joint walk-through w/ video camera, to document the condition of the home. One thing that made us very comfortable w/ the rent-back situation is that (it was FSBO) both parties had been very easy to work with. Polite, considerate, trying very hard to be fair. So when they asked to extend, we have every motivation to do so, and every evidence that they were reasonable, sane people. of course they could have been fooling us, etc., but we had as much evidence as anyone can have.
    ...See More
  • logic
    16 years ago

It appears as if you reside in NJ.

First and foremost, the inspection of new construction, by NJ law, is not a home inspection...as the house has yet to be lived in and therefore called upon to perform as there have been no loads placed upon the systems of the home as of yet so any problem with their performance can't be adequately determined as expected via a home inspection....

A home inspection can only tell you about the condition of the home on the day of inspection...period.

Hopefully the HI informed you of such...if not..I'd reconsider hiring him....as you also may want to get verification that HI is indeed licensed (as required by law in NJ)...and that his Errors & Omissions insurance covers you for new construction...since it is not a home inspection under NJ law.

All NJ HI licenses had to be renewed by the end of April...and over 100 did not renewÂÂso definitely checkÂÂas someone on this board once referred people here to a NJ HI who claimed to be licensed...he wasn'tÂÂ.and still isn't.

That said, the most any HI can do for you is determine if there are some superficial issues....but he will not be able to tell you if the electrical functions properly...if the plumbing will leak once used...if the A/C and heat will work properly , etc...

HI's are not code inspectors...so he can't inspect for code...and, even if he knows code...and even if also holds a code official license...most everyhting is now concealed...so if there are concealed code issues, he won't be able to see them...you won't know until you have lived there for a while...

So. Â.that said, as long as you realize the major limitations of such an inspection, you hopefully won't be disappointed..

Last but not least, member ship in ASHI, NACHI, NAHI or the any of the other myriad of home inspection professional organizations is esentially meaningless to the consumerÂÂas such membership operates on the honor systemÂand, even a violation is reported, the most that happens is a wrist slap. In addition, most of these organizations are crying for membersÂas licensing has eroded the need for membershipÂand manyÂÂincluding ASHIÂÂhas weekend their already meaningless requirements for membership, in order to try to survive as an organization.

There is no fool proof method for hiring the right personÂbut a little bit of knowledge about the reality canÂt hurt.

If you live in a state the requires that the profession be licensed (NJ, NY CT are just 3 of many) makes sure the license is in effect, the insurance is in effectÂget a referral from your attorney Â..and CHECK REFERENCES.

Below is a directory where you can check on the status of a NJ HI's licenseÂÂpay attention to the date at the bottom...it should state that it was renewed through April 2009.

Best wishes.

• Carol_from_ny
    16 years ago

Home inspections are different state to state. In AZ when we had our home inspected the guy was FANTASTIC. He checked every outlet with a meter to see if it was working, climb up on a ladder and checked out the swamp cooler and asked it be turned on so he could see it was operational, he checked out the roofing material, even noted if the window locks were broken or if a screw was missing from a switch plate or door latch.
    In IL the guy walked thru the house basically stood in the middle of the room and looked at the four walls and then walked on to the next room to do the same thing.
    In NY they had their check list but were no where near as complete as in AZ. The didn't do much more than my DH or I coud do o our own. Any problems or questions required a specailist to come out and check it.....even then on some things the bank requested clarification so that was more dollars.

• logic
    16 years ago

carol_from_ny: "In NY they had their check list but were no where near as complete as in AZ.'

If that was prior to 1/1/06, NYS HI's were not licensed...so there were no standards that they were required to follow.

Even now, although all NY HI's must have a license...the state has yet to approve SOP's & COEs...as they were just recently introduced for comment.

Once those are promulgated, the NYS HI's will be held to a higher standard...and the buyer will have more recourse.

In addition, the disparity from state to state is becoming very minimal, as most states seem to be enacting SOPs & COEs that are almost identicalfor example, those proposed in NY are almost the same as those already in place in NJ & CT.

Last but not least, a "check list" is not the kind of report a buyer wants if they want a thorough report. Buyers should seek HI's that provide full narratives, that explain the issues of the specific house...and not just a bunch of boiler plate about houses in general.

If buyers would not settle for check lists, HI's would no longer use them.

That said...none of the above changes the fact that a newly constructed home will not show most of it's deficiencies (if any) until its been lived in for a while...usually about a year...give or take.

• Pipersville_Carol
    16 years ago

I second the advice to choose your own inspector. An inspector who gets repeat business from your real estate agent might hesitate to give a negative report that kills the deal and eliminates future referrals.

If you still have concerns after reading the inspector's report, pay a contractor to do an additional specific inspection. For example, if the general inspection didn't answer your questions about a crack in the foundation, pay an foundation contractor take a look. In my experience, they don't charge much to do this. Usually less than $100, just for their time.

• Linda
    16 years ago

I second the advice to choose your own inspector. An inspector who gets repeat business from your real estate agent might hesitate to give a negative report that kills the deal and eliminates future referrals.

I've heard this before and always laugh when I hear it. Your agent recommends people, inspectors, mortgage officers, attorneys, because they are in the business and they know who gets the job done right the first time. To suggest that a home inspector would over look items on a house because they get referrals from a real estate broker is ludicrious. Do you seriously think they would risk loosing their license for one inspection?

I purchased my own home last year and used all the same people that I recommend. WHY? Because I've seen the good in the bad in the business. I know who to use, its the same peopel I recommend.

• triciae
    16 years ago

I think, unfortunately, what happens is that people read in the paper (or, hear on the news) about an unethical lending, HI, or appraisal practice & automatically apply the scenario to all involved in the industry. For example, there have been a few bad apples in the Colorado real estate market over the past 5-6 years. They've garnered top billing in the Denver Post or Rocky Mountain News over a picture of them doing a "perp" walk so it sticks in people's minds.

The industry, as a whole, does not operate like that though. Most are just ordinary, hard-working folks just like everybody else. In fact, lenders are some of the most regulated people in the country. They try hard to do a good job that benefits their customers. Word-of-mouth & repeat business are important to them. They have nothing to gain & lots to lose from unethical business practices. Real estate agents & attorneys are the same. Yes, there are a few that enter a room by sliding underneath the door but they are a very small percentage of the whole. It's not fair to judge an entire industry by the acts of such a minority. (Now, used car salesmen fall into their own bracket...rofl) Oh, do you know why Connecticut got all of the used car salesmen & New York got all of the attorneys? No...well, it's easy. Connecticut got FIRST choice! (I can say that because I'm married to an attorney & we, unfortunately, get emailed EVERY attorney joke known to man.)

So, assuming your agent enters a room by first opening the door...I think it's not only fine but a good idea to listen to their recommendations for a HI.

Tricia

• logic
    16 years ago

linda117: "To suggest that a home inspector would over look items on a house because they get referrals from a real estate broker is ludicrious"

Hardly. Your statement is too much of an absolute. In addition...would they do so for ONE inspection? Probably not. Howeverat issue here is not ONE inspection..its many....for some, their only way of obtaining business.

Actually, the most well known HI law suit in NJ was basically just about this issue...the HI and HI company performing the inspection with the best interests of the refferring party in mind..and NOT in the best interests of the buyer. The HI and HI company were nailed on consumer fraud.

HI's are in a unique position in that there is no way for them to directly target their market...which is why the RE agent referrals are always in the mix. Consequently, the only way that most HI's are able to build their business is through such referrals. Many do manage to build their business by not allowing the agent to control what they do...some can'tor won't.

Now, while there are many agents who are smart enough to only recommend those HI's who perform a thorough job, there are just as many who won't refer those whom they perceive to be deal killers....or, those who make their life difficult by identifying defects that result in a reduced selling price, or, who won't provide the agent with the report, or who won't allow the agent to coordinate the inspection, or who are simply considered to be "too much of an alarmist"...etc. I could keep you busy for hours regarding the stories I have heard...and continue to hear.

There are 99,000 licensed real estate agents in NJ alone...and just like with any profession, there are the good, the bad and the in between. NYS...nor any other is any different in this respect.

The problem for the home buyer is that they rarely know their agent well enough to know if they are the sort who will only refer the thorough professionalorare they the sort who only care about closing the deal.

That is what it generally is best for a home buyer to obtain referrals from an unbiased party, who has no financial interest in the deal closing or not.

• jane_d
    16 years ago

I'm with Linda here. I care about my clients and only recommend inspectors that I trust. (And for those that are dubious, it's also much better for my own repeat business and referrals to keep things that way!) When it came to my own mortgage and home inspection last week (yippeee!), I didn't hesitate to use those same folks I have always recommended.
    To the OP, if you will have well water make sure you get the well tested, too. If possible at this point, have it put in writing that you can get your deposit back within a time frame that allows the return of all lab tests. (If you only have 2 days to negotiate after your inspection, for instance, you'll be stuck with whatever the results of the radon test are, since those will come in later.)
    If you live in an area that tends to have high radon levels, add radon testing to that well test, too. (Does it show that I just had this turn up at my inspection? :) Radon remediation for water is sooo much more expensive than for air...)
    Good luck on the inspection and on your new house!
    JD

• Linda
    16 years ago

Logic at the risk of getting into yet another debate with you about home inspectors, yes, there are the good, the bad, and the ugly in ALL professions. I would say that if the buyer doesnt trust their agent, they probably wouldnt be trusting their recommendation on a home inspector, or anyone else for that matter. So it really has to be on a case by case basis. I think its safe to say that the majority of real estate agents recommend who they think does a good job. Do I think there are some out there that are doing what you suggest, probably, but I dont believe there are that many. I believe there are inspectors out there that scare the hell out of people unnecessarily and I would not recommend an inspector like that at all. The inspectors I recommend have a way of finding the issues and presenting the issues so as to not panic the buyers. Thats all a real estate agent wants. She doesnt want some bulldog coming in there and acting like a big deal killing deals because he can. They want someone who will do a good inspection, find the issues and know how to present them so people don't freak out. I would think that if a HI was neglecting to find deficiencies with a house it wouldnt be long before a law suit would take place and he would be out of business anyway. IF they do trust their agent, there is nothing wrong with trusting their recommendations.

I recently had a buyer who felt like some of the people on this forum. She chose to find her own home inspector. Someone whom I have never heard of. (In the business 18 years, I've at least heard the names) This man gave her such a line of bull on the phone. He said, he's been in the business for 30 years, he doesnt take realtor referrals, he is great, he does everything every other home inspector doesnt do. He even told me when he got to the house that she just about had to beg him to do the inspection because it was a "real estate listed house". Oh please. I have to say, it was one of the worst inspections I have ever seen. He never got up on the roof, checked stupid stuff like moldings to see if they were nailed tight, if interior doors squeaked when they opened, measured the space for her refrigerator... WHAT!????. When the buyer asked about specific things, his reply was, "oh I don't check that, or I don't do that". She had asked about looking in the chimney he said, can't see much up there, I dont usually check that. What he checked, my 16 year old son could have checked. Being her agent, I was in a difficult spot because I didnt want her to feel I was questioning her inspector yet I was a buyers agent and knew it was a poor inspection. She obviously felt there was a conflict of interest with me recommending the inspector, but yet, I can see this inspector is not doing a good job. This was a first time home buyer. She didnt have experience, didnt know what to ask for but yet wasnt getting the right guidance from her inspector. It leaves the agent in a bad position. At the end of the inspection he asks her if she has any questions. She says, I dont know what questions to ask, you should be telling me the issues. She was absolutely right. He wasnt doing it. She FINALLY looked at me as if to say, Ok, I know I made a mistake, please help me. I asked him if he was doing a radon, and a water test. He charged her $500, (typical inspection here is $450 and includes, radon, well and septic dye test) He wasnt planning on the radon test.. .why? Because he didnt want to have to come back in 2 days to pick it up, he was from another county. He asked me if I could close up the canisters for him and log the information. I said sure, it'll be $50 for my time to come over and do that. (I wasnt doing it, he got the point). Do you think this guy made it into my book of good inspectors, nope, and he was probably the best, "don't kill a deal inspector" I have seen. He just didnt inspect anything, find anything or want to find anything. He wanted to turn on the stove, measure the refrigerator, open and close doors and call it a day. By the way, this all took him 4 hours. Also, double the time of a normal inspection for this type of house.

As for this comment that I am also so sick of, who has no financial interest in the deal closing or not.

I take being a buyers agent or a sellers agent very seriously. I negotiate to the best for both, get my sellers the highest I can and get my buyers the lowest I can. Just this past sunday, I showed a house to a guy who fell in love with it. It was listed for $369,900. He said to me, I dont want to mess around with this house, I dont want to lose it, I want to offer $365,000. If I was only interested in "getting the deal to close", I would have a sale on him right now. Instead, I talked him into offering $355,000. The owner countered with $365,000 which is where he wanted to be, however, once I checked the comps, I realized the house was about $20,000 overpriced. My recommendation was to walk away. He did. No sale for me, but you know what, its not all about closing the deal, its about peoples lives and hopefully referrals and future business from their friends and family.

Im really sorry this turned out so long. I type as fast as I talk, sometimes I dont realize I've said too much LOL

• logic
    16 years ago

As I've mentioned before, I consult to the HI profession. As such, I believe I may have a bit more of a balanced view on the realities of the situation, as I talk to the companys that insure HI's...HI professional organizations, the attorneys who defend HIs......legislatorslicensing boardsbuyerssellers...HI's...and real estate agents.

The experience you sited above as explained is indeed indicative of a HI who appears to not have performed a thorough inspection. As such, I have never stated that a buyer is guaranteed of having a thorough home inspection simply because the HI was not referred by the agent...so I'm not quite sure of your point.

In addition, with regard to your following statements:

Linda 1117: "I believe there are inspectors out there that scare the hell out of people unnecessarily and I would not recommend an inspector like that at all. The inspectors I recommend have a way of finding the issues and presenting the issues so as to not panic the buyers. Thats all a real estate agent wants. She doesnt want some bulldog coming in there and acting like a big deal killing deals because he can."

Here in lies the rub...the home inspection, contrary to what many agents seem to think...is NOT for the RE agent..it is for the buyer. That said...it should not matter WHAT the "real estate agent wants"...which is why the referral issue is so problematic.

Linda 1117: ".They want someone who will do a good inspection, find the issues and know how to present them so people don't freak out."

The operative phrase here is "good inspection" and how that is defined. There are buyers who will freak out over minor issues...and there are buyers who could not care less if the house needs major work. The buyer's reaction is a separate issue from an inspection being a good and through inspection..or notso this is irrelevant in that respect.

It is not up the HI or the RE agent to make those decisions about what the buyer should and should not be told ...the house is what it is...period. The buyer then does with it as they choose.

That said, any agent who chooses not to refer the bulldog HI who will "scare" the buyer is making a decision for their own benefit...and not the buyer....and are in turn, attempting to control what info is presentedand how...by only referring HI's who act as the agent prefers.

Be that as it may.before licensing, an HI could be suedloseclose his companyopen under another name, often avoiding the collection of the judgment..and continue.

Licensing makes that impossible in most stateshence..more and more HIs must play by the rules..judgments are counted against them if they try to renew their license, and/or renew their insurance in states that require E&O (which, BTW, NYS does NOT require) so fewer and fewer HIs are playing the RE agent gameas it is now coming back to bite the HI in the butt.

NJ has already had in excess of 100 HIs drop out of the profession. NYS lags behind..as they only just recently introduced SOPs and COEsonce those are promulgated, the NYS HIs will also be held much more accountable for their actionsand will no longer be able to handle the inspection in accordance with the RE agents wishes..or they will risk going out of business.

That saidI reiterate that there are many smart agents who realize that the "bulldog" actually protects them in that their liability is greatly reducedand, I know many excellent HIs who do get RE referralsthe point is that for the buyer, it is very difficult for them to know which agent will refer an HI who works ONLY for the buyerand not also FOR the agent, in terms of inspecting and presenting in accordance with the RE agents wishes.

Just as an FYI, a good HI, who knows what he is doing, does not have to climb on a roof to make the proper evaluationwhich is WHY HIs are not required to climb on the roof. as there is no way to know if there is hidden defect with the sheathing where they will crash through. In addition, with the proper magnification binocular, roofing material degradation is easy to spotclimbing on it only risks damaging it further.

See below:

"NYS Home Inspection Standards of Practice (Draft)
    Section 197-5.7 Roofing Systems

6. Home inspectors are not required to walk on or access a roof where to do so could result in damage to the roof or roofing material or endanger the health and safety of the home inspector."

In addition, as discussed in a previous thread, septic inspection of any sort (including the meaningless and should be outlawed altogether "septic dye test") is NOT part of a home inspection.

"Section 197-5.8 Plumbing System

3. Home inspectors are not required to:

l. Evaluate the condition and operation of water wells and related pressure tanks and pumps; the quality or quantity of water from on-site water supplies or the condition and operation of on-site sewage disposal systems such as cesspools, septic tanks, drain fields, related underground piping, conduit, cisterns and equipment;..."

As far as the radon canister retrieval is concernedin NJ it is illegal for a RE agent to retrieve the canistercheck with the NYS Dept. of Health to see if that is the case in NYS..if so, report him.

In addition, have you reported him to the state licensing board for any other HI infractions that you believe to have occurred? After all, if you believe him to be incompetent, you would be doing all a favor.

Last but not least, you might want to take a few moments as a RE agent to review the proposed NYS SOP & COEs for HIswhich will tell you what they are supposed to doand what they are not supposed to doas Im sure you will find it to be most helpful in determining who is doing their jobor notand why.

• Linda
    16 years ago

Logic, first of all, you assume that the bull dog inspector is a good inspector. I WANT him to find the issues, I WANT my buyers to know the issues. The bull dog inspector to me has an ego problem. Im not interested in referring the inspector who simply wants to act like the almighty god, scare the hell out of people for kicks. Lots of inspectors will says "well if its this" when they know its not this, but they have already scared the buyer.

The inspectors I refer are excellent. I believe they find the issues that are to be found, they present ALL the issues to the buyer with different examples of how to rectify them.

It is not up the HI or the RE agent to make those decisions about what the buyer should and should not be told ...the house is what it is...period. The buyer then does with it as they choose.

Im not sure what makes you think I am saying anything different or what your point is. I reiterate, the inspectors I refer, give ALL their findings to the buyer. I have NEVER had someone call me after a closing and say, the inspector missed this or that, it costs us thousands!

The inspector who I mentioned earlier, I cannot vouch for. I am not convinced this buyer has purchased a solid house. I am not convinced he didnt miss something. But I am not an inspector, I just know what HE DIDNT inspect. She closed on it. I represented her the best way I could, if she chose to use someone of her choice, Im more off the hook than if someone uses one of my referred inspectors and they miss something. So again, Im not sure of what your point is there with the "realtor game" either.

Here in lies the rub...the home inspection, contrary to what many agents seem to think...is NOT for the RE agent..it is for the buyer. That said...it should not matter WHAT the "real estate agent wants"...which is why the referral issue is so problematic.

Not really, its only a problem for those people that refuse to believe that there are agents out there that actually care about their clients and are representing their clients best interests. YES, I ADMIT, I WANT A GOOD INSPECTION FOR MY BUYERS. IF thats a bad thing, oh well, I guess Im a horrible realtor. Referrals DO work for the reasons stated above. We're in the business, day in and day out, we know who is good and who isnt. You consistently think the commission check fuels the agent to push the sale. IF the house is a dump, the same agent is going to sell the buyer another house, so what is your point? It makes no difference if they buy this house or the next one.

On the contrary, its quite the opposite. When someone LOVES a house, it is very difficult to get them to change their mind if something comes up on an inspection. Years ago and at that time it was my biggest $ amount sale. A house tested over 60 for radon. I was VERY concerned because the house was a four bedroom house, 2 up and 2 in the basement. (above grade basement) They didnt want to do anything about it. They never called the inspector back to talk to him about the options. This family was going to put their boys down there. I kept insisting they have the well checked. I did everything I could to convince them to dig deeper on this house, put a system in, lets renegotiate for a system, have the well checked in case its in the water. They couldnt have been less concerned about it. It would have been very easy for me to say, Well, ok then, lets move on to the next step and get this baby to close. Thank God the well came back with bacteria so after the owner had the well shocked, the buyers decided to go ahead with the radon test for the water too. No radon. But still to this day, I wonder if they ever put the radon system in the basement and this was probably 10 years ago.

Last but not least, you might want to take a few moments as a RE agent to review the proposed NYS SOP & COEs for HIswhich will tell you what they are supposed to doand what they are not supposed to doas Im sure you will find it to be most helpful in determining who is doing their jobor notand why.

Totally not necessary because I refer thorough inspectors who continuously do a good job. Their track record to me is more important then a piece of paper that tells me what they are "supposed to do". The HI's I refer check each and every system and I've never had a problem. I will continue to do business as I always have. :) This is how I recognize a "bad inspection" when I see one.

• logic
    16 years ago

Linda117: "Logic, first of all, you assume that the bull dog inspector is a good inspector"

Can you point out where I said that? I never did.

In addition, although you may want the HI to find the issues...in the BUYERS best interests, you should also want an HI that inspects in a accordance with state law.

Since you've indicated that is a non-issue for you to know one way or the other, you are apparently using your own personal judgment about what constitutes "good" or otherwise.

As you are not a home inspector, and as you don't seem interested in knowing what the law in your state considers to be a "good" inspection, you can only advise your clients from your own personal point of view and interest....without knowing if the inspector whom you believe is "good" is even inspecting in accordance with the nationlyy accepted and proposed SOP's and COE's.

Consequently, your point is moot.

• Linda
    16 years ago

That saidI reiterate that there are many smart agents who realize that the "bulldog" actually protects them in that their liability is greatly reduced

Are you trying to say something else? I hardly think a lousy inspector is going to protect "my liability". So in fact, YOUR point is moot.

In addition, although you may want the HI to find the issues...in the BUYERS best interests, you should also want an HI that inspects in a accordance with state law. I do. But it is also not my job to nor is it appropriate for me to oversee what ANY home inspector does. I can only give my opinioin based on my experience. What the buyer chooses to do with that opinion is ultimately up to them.

Since you've indicated that is a non-issue for you to know one way or the other, you are apparently using your own personal judgment about what constitutes "good" or otherwise

Im using my own personal experience of being on hundreds and hundreds of home inspections. Its not rocket science to know if an inspector is thorough or not.

Consequently, your point is moot.

So is your opinion.

• logic
    16 years ago

Linda117: Its not rocket science to know if an inspector is thorough or not.

Once again...everyone has a different idea of what "thorough" means.
    However, in many states...NY included...the ONLY meaning that is relevant is that which is provided by law...no matter how much one wishes to pretend otherwise.

That is not my opinion. Its fact.

• Linda
    16 years ago

Is there a point here Im supposed to be seeing? I never disagreed with any part of the law, in fact, it really has nothing to do with this entire debate.

Now, while there are many agents who are smart enough to only recommend those HI's who perform a thorough job,

Once again...everyone has a different idea of what "thorough" means.

Which is it?

• logic
    16 years ago

Linda 1117: "Which is it?"

OK. You asked.

Out of context as you've cut and pasted above?
    Neither.

Within context?

Those agents who dont dismiss the law as nothing more than a "piece of paper" that their own personal judgment trumps...those agents who take the time to learn what the HI is required to do by law...those who care what the HI is required to do by law...those who take the time to understand what is not requiredor is beyond the scope...and why...those who understand that regardless of their own personal opinion, it is the HI who plays by the HI rules...and not that of the RE agent who provides the best chance of the buyer getting an inspection in accordance with their best interests...and not the RE agents.

An agent who does not take the time to learn this is an agent who is, by choice, uninformed, and is in turn making referrals based upon their own personal opinions and assumptions...and not fact.
    As such, the best interests of the buyer is not being served.

Is that clear enough for you...or shall I continue?

• terrig_2007
    16 years ago

We used an inspector who came very highly recommended by our agent and he was EXTREMELY thorough! He took pictures of everything that was "wrong" with the house and provided a detailed booklet with the photos and explanations of what should be done to fix each problem. In fact, he found so many things that we were briefly considering backing out of the deal. We finally realized that most of the things were minor and could be taken care of inexpensively over time. My advice to the OP is to keep the big picture in mind. Most of the things an inspector finds wrong with a house can be fixed. Our new house tested high for radon, and the sellers are paying to mitigate the radon. They also fixed the leaky roof and some electrical problems. Those were the "biggies' for us.

• logic
    16 years ago

terrig 2007: "We used an inspector who came very highly recommended by our agent and he was EXTREMELY thorough!"

That's great to hear. From what I have seen over the last couple of years, this seems to be a bit of a trend in terms of RE agent referrals...let's hope it continues.
    Best wishes in your new home.

• misa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did not mean to start any debates... I've read every thread on this post and everyone makes a good point. We trust our RE agent and therefore made the decision to go to someone he recommended. Afterall...even the RE agent rep is on the line. Unfortunately a few bad
    RE agents,HI guys and countless others...makes us all a little weary about who to trust and who not to. One thing I trust is my gut instinct...that does not steer you wrong.
    I'm sorry to hear all the horrible things that some folks here have had to go thru....

The local HI guy that did our inspection has been in the buisness over 20 years. He did his walk-thru once, 2nd time with a fine tooth comb, 3rd back for radon,termite and roof check. He summarized in person and full written report was back to me the next day. We're happy with the report...therefore achieving our final goal....GETTING THE HOUSE!!

Good luck to everyone out there. BTW- Of course..I double checked his credentials, that's just the type of person I am.

• Linda
    16 years ago

those agents who take the time to learn what the HI is required to do by law...those who care what the HI is required to do by law...those who take the time to understand what is not requiredor is beyond the scope...and why...those who understand that regardless of their own personal opinion, it is the HI who plays by the HI rules...and not that of the RE agent who provides the best chance of the buyer getting an inspection in accordance with their best interests...and not the RE agents.

Logic, again you are assuming real estate agents refer to HIs because of "their own" interests. It has been stated over and over again that I refer who I think does the best job, I also personally used the same people I refer. After hundreds of inspections, I know what is "Beyond the scope" and what is not. I don't need a document to tell me that.

An agent who does not take the time to learn this is an agent who is, by choice, uninformed, and is in turn making referrals based upon their own personal opinions and assumptions...and not fact.

The FACT is, personal experience of SEEING the inspections done year after year, inspection after inspection far out weigh anything I can read that tells me how it should be done. I know its a good inspection because I have seen so many of them. When it is ordinary for an inspector to get up on a roof and inspect, and an inspector comes from out of county and does not do this because as you say "they don't have to", yes, I consider the one who actually got up there to be doing a more thorough job.

As such, the best interests of the buyer is not being served.

Since you dont sell 35 houses a year, it is blatently obvious that you do not know how the buyers bests interests are served. You should leave that up to the professionals. Have I made myself clear or should I continue?

There is no fool proof method for hiring the right personbut a little bit of knowledge about the reality cant hurt.,

It seems to me agents would have a lot of knowledge about this, afterall, who sees more home inspections than a real estate agent?

get a referral from your attorney ..and CHECK REFERENCES

I've sold three attorneys houses. Two asked "me" for a home inspection referral and the other chose not to have a home inspection.

• logic
    16 years ago

Linda1117: "Logic, again you are assuming real estate agents refer to HIs because of "their own" interests"

I make no assumptions. I know of many RE Agents who have admitted to doing so. I personally know a NJ RE agent...VERY "successful"...who actually boasts that "her" HI does whatever she needs him to do to close the deal.
    The only person making assumptions here regarding my statements is you.

In addition...you clearly have not understood what I have written...as I have not generalized such about ALL RE agents.

Linda1117: "The FACT is, personal experience of SEEING the inspections done year after year, inspection after inspection far out weigh anything I can read that tells me how it should be done"

Is that why you stated on this forum that septic dye tests are part of the home inspection...when they aren't?

Is that why you assumed the HI that asked if you would retrieve the radon canister was SUPPOSED to perform a radon test...because it's part of the home inspection...when it isn't?

Is that why you denigrated the HI for not walking on the roof...when such is not required due to a number of valid reasons?

Regardless of what you may believe, your knowledge about the process is flawed and sadly lacking.

Linda117: "Since you dont sell 35 houses a year, it is blatently obvious that you do not know how the buyers bests interests are served."

You actually have no idea if I ever did work as an RE agentor not. Once again, you are the one making assumptions...not I.

That said, selling 35 houses a year proves nothing other than that you are a salesperson; that is your job....to sell homes.
    However...newsflashwhether you sell 35 homes..or 100 or 300 etc, that does not prove that you are concerned about anyone's best interests other than your own. Enron made billions...and we all know how much concern they had for their clients and those who invested in them because they showed so much "success".

Now..your point is...?

Linda1117: "...afterall, who sees more home inspections than a real estate agent?"

"Seeing" is not "doing"...and as the majority of a home inspection is visual observation...and not action...such as in the case of watching a plumber connect a pipe...unless one makes the effort to educate oneself in the practice, they make assumptions about what they see..which in your case with the HI inspection issues that youve discussed on this forum, you have drawn conclusions that have proven to be erroneous.

Linda117: "I've sold three attorneys houses. Two asked "me" for a home inspection referral and the other chose not to have a home inspection."

That's nice...but irrelevant in terms of proving your point.

I think the best way to attempt to close this treadmill of a discussion is with the following:

Me thinks thou doth protest just a tad TOO much! ;-)

• Linda
    16 years ago

Logic, you apparently are under the impression that your word is gospil. Well "news flash" it is not. Im not going back to proving to you that a septic dye test AND a radon test is part of the home inspection in NY. Its done as part of a home inspectors package every day. What you might be missing is, "no one HAS to have it" and if they don't want it, the inspection costs less. I gave you a website on our last debate to prove that to you, but you just want to muddy the waters on that like you do with so many other things.

Linda117: "I've sold three attorneys houses. Two asked "me" for a home inspection referral and the other chose not to have a home inspection."

That's nice...but irrelevant in terms of proving your point.

You obviously missed the point. You told the poster to ask his attorney for a referral of a home inspector. The point is, attorneys rarely get to see inspections, talk to home inspectors, meet with them etc. They don't know who is good in the business and who isnt. Alas, the reason an attorney, would ask for a referral. The only information most attys have with a home inspection is their report if they request it, which most do not.

By the way, I also refer attorneys too, are they in the realtors pocket also and giving their clients poor representation because they are afraid the realtor won't refer to them anymore? Referrals are done every day, in every kind of business. If you are suspicious you will find fault in everything.

Me thinks thou doth protest just a tad TOO much! ;-)

Maybe you need to go back and see just who was the one that started protesting. :)

So again, we have ruined yet another persons post. So, "I'm done with you". :) As you wish, I am off the treadmill.

• logic
    16 years ago

linda117: So, "I'm done with you".

This has been said before...yet...you continue to attempt to justify.

In addition, if you believe you are ruining the posts of others...don't.

It's that simple.

• Linda
    16 years ago

LOL, I don't attempt to justify anything. I simply state my opinion just like you do, however, you seem to be under the impression that what you say is the end all. I don't believe "I" am ruining the posts of others, I believe "We" are. I have to laugh because it seems not just with me, but with other posters you seem to get into debates about, you can't stop unless you have the last word. I'll expect a statement after this so that you can have your last word. Don't worry, I'll leave it for you, it seems you need it. :)

• logic
    16 years ago

linda117: "I'll expect a statement after this so that you can have your last word. Don't worry, I'll leave it for you, it seems you need it. :)"

And, here it is....I aim to please, and not disappoint! ;-D