SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

toilet dripping noise?

naturelle
17 years ago

I posted this at the Bathroom forum, and saw a post there that mentioned this forum, so I guess I should have been here to start with.

I have an older toilet. It's American Standard Plebe.

Anyways, it works OK, there are some plug-ups, perhaps because the throat is small in this model? But other than that I can live with it.

The bathroom is located on the second floor. In the living room, which is dirctly below, I hear a constant dripping noise. I believe the wall in the living room houses the drain pipe from the toilet. The noise is loud enough to be heard above the TV, although it may only be because it's amplified by being in the eclosed wall and floor space.

There is no sign of past or present water damage in the ceilings and walls, so I don't believe there is a leak. At least I hope not.

I have checked the water supply and stopper mechanisms in- side the tank and they seem to be in good order, although they are old. There is no water flowing freely through the valves and stopper and into the basin. So what is the constant dripping from? Is it domestic water somehow getting through the system and dripping through into the drain?

Although I don't know what the association would be, but it seems that if I turn the water supply shutoff valve off, the dripping stops. Does this mean anything?

I guess I could install a new toilet, if that would resolve this problem. I wonder if it's worth it?

Anyone have any ideas, or experienced this?

Thanks,

Ted

Comments (2)