SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittiemom

Need prayers and advice please!

kittiemom
11 years ago

A friend of my dad called this morning to say that he had called them to say that he had called them to say that he fell & was unable to get up. We are unsure why he called this person other than that he is having memory problems and perhaps couldn't remember mine or my sister's phone number. My sister lives much closer to him. I was unable to reach her, so I sent my husband. I was unable to go because I'm still recovering from a nasty virus that landed me in urgent care last night.

DH took my dad to the ER. They admitted stating a suspected heart attack. Now is where the problem gets bigger. My dad has been having mobility issues for a while now. He refused help from my sister and me with regards to bathing, etc. My BIL has been getting him lunch and we have been taking him to doctor's appt. and trying our best to make sure that he was taken care of. We had spoken to an elder law attorney & were planning to meet with her in a couple of weeks to possibly pursue guardianship & have my dad moved to assisted living.

When he was admitted to the hospital today, they discovered that he had diaper rash and called DSS. I knew that the hospital social worker would become involved in trying to get him placement in a facility of some type after this happened. I didn't expect DSS involvement. I have worked with multiple DSS agencies professionally but I'm frightened by this. We don't want them to try to take custody of my dad. My sister and I have decided to go ahead and exercise our financial and healthcare POA's. I just spoke to the doctor at the hospital, gave him medical history, and explained that at the very least, we felt that he would need a short term stay in a rehab facility to receive physical therapy. Any advice regarding how to handle DSS would be appreciated. Your prayers would also be much appreciated.

This post was edited by kittiemom on Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 5:41

Comments (15)