SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_on

Whoa...I just got an earful!! (Care of elderly relative)

susan_on
15 years ago

My sister in law called to discuss the future care of our MIL. Our MIL seems to be declining, and we all want the best for her. Having said that...she is a very difficult lady (My MIL, I mean). Well, my SIL and I have a difference of opinion in how things should be handled. Having said that, I also said that it's not up to me, in this house I feel it's up to my husband, and of course, her doctor. SIL kept trying to get me to change my mind on something, but I said that I was not changing my opinion, however I would not be attempting to change anyone else's mind. We seemed to go round and round in circles on this.

After a while, I said something that REALLY set her off. I said that it was up to all THREE sons, where she thought it should only be up to her husband and my husband. She thinks that the other son has forfeited his right to an opinion, because he has not been there for the day to day care of his mother. However, the rest of us all live in the same town in Ontario, except for the youngest brother who lives in Calgary. I tried to tell her it's not fair to hold that against him. Big mistake.

She went on a rampage about this youngest brother being selfish and uncaring. I said that I was only focussed on how his mother lights right up when she sees him, and that he makes her really happy. Then I no longer was able to get a word in. She launched into a hostility filled rant about him. Then she went back to trying to change my mind on the other matter. In the 32 years or so that I've known her, we've never had a conversation like this. I am more than a little rattled. I'm pretty upset, actually.

I think that I'm just going to stay as far away from these issues as possible. Wish me luck.

Have any of you here been able to negotiate the care of a senior relative when there is disagreement over significant decisions? How have you resolved these issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (27)