SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Anyone here been to the Iditarod?

Jodi_SoCal
15 years ago

I've been offered a sweet deal for the 2009 Iditarod in March, by a friend who's daughter is in the race. Anyone here ever go?

It would just be for the start of the race in Anchorage and Wasilla, AK (yes, it starts twice) and we've been invited to a couple of parties plus the Musher's Ball.

After going to Antarctica and Alaska in the last two years I'm prepared for the cold but would like to know what else to do the 7 days I'd be there.

The only thing holding me back right now is that DH and I have been invited to Spain by a friend of his, and my book club has been planning our 10 year anniversary (which was two years ago) celebration by going to Tuscany, Italy. They think this might actually be the year we go. I'm not sure I can squeeze that many vacation days out of my employer. :-)

Jodi-

Comments (34)

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The huskies are terrible abused. I would never support the Ititarod or have anything to do with it.
    Add the days to your Tuscany trip. That will be an awesome experience.

• gemini40
    15 years ago

Ditto the above message.

• Related Discussions

Why my Garden Room is gone and I haven't been here in awhile.

Q

Comments (20)
    dulci I'm so happy for you, yes the Lord will lead you though. I'm not on the site very much anymore because I just don't have the time. But was looking around today and saw your wonderful porch. (before) and then read your story. God can always find someone worse off them myself and your story has just inspired and renew me. (I guess I was setting here at work feeling sorry for myself) I too have a wonderful Daughter and three grandchildren but her choice of men has not been the best so I moved them into my home. Seems all I pay for is Attoney fee for her and now one for the grandchildren. Ex is really bad man, But I know that God will find and end to this 2 year battle where we all can be happy in the end. Sorry. Just wanted to say God Bless you and please keep the pictures coming. I so enjoy watching your progress. I agree with Seamommy on the PURPLE DOOR AWARD God bless Betty from Indiana
    ...See More

its been a while...anyone still on here from last season?

Q

Comments (33)
    Juicyj, Sorry, IÂm still stewing at loosing the plants. Hell, if I strapped them to pigeons and flew them across the St. Lawrence there would have been no issue. Adding insult to injury, the plants were started from seeds sourced in the US??? IÂm still sorry I couldnÂt keep my commitment but lying and getting caught would have made life very uncomfortable. IÂm not gonna give up though. IÂm heading back to NY in two weeks and IÂll try to get a few plants to you. Sam, Hey, good on ya. Thanks for stepping up. Ravi, Common, you know IÂm not a nice guy. IÂll see you at the kitten juggling club Thursday night. Bill
    ...See More

Seems like 'forever' since I've been here ..

Q

Comments (1)
    It has been a very long time. Welcome back! We have been missing quite a few of the old regulars the last couple years. I hope they return, they always had such good info. Bet is still very good at responding quickly.
    ...See More

Official Start of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race (video)

Q

Comments (8)
    I understand that the 'mandatory' veterinary care appears adequate, but these are minimum standards and it doesn't address the breeding, raising and training conditions of these dogs prior to the "race". Dogs die during the race. It is estimated as many as 147 have died since it's inception. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), 5th Avenue Mall (Simon Property Group), Hills Brothers Brand (Nestle), Rite Aid, Carr-Gottstein Foods (Safeway), Maxwell House Brand (Kraft Foods), IDEXX, True Value Hardware, Yupo Corporation, Interbake Foods, Sears, Seagrams, and BP Amoco, NUTRO PET PRODUCTS, Tyson Foods, Hormel, Avis, H.J. Heinz and Ralston Purina, Eddie Bauer, Lands End, Hain-Celestial, Cabela's, Sherwin-Williams, Tropicana (Pepsico), Pizza Hut (Tricon Global Restaurants), Costco, Suiza Foods, Pfizer, Bausch & Lomb, Bank of America, Bank of America, Farmers Insurance, Jimmy Dean Food Company, and Pharmacia & Upjohn, and Brown-Forman have all withdrawn sponsorships. This is from an aspca website: "However, there are some facts that never get out to the public concerning this "race". Nobody hears about the animals that die every year. They don't know the conditions these dogs are raised in. Nobody hears about "culling" a practice in which unwanted puppies and older/slower dogs are killed because they aren't useful in making money for the musher. First of all, the Iditarod is not recreation mushing. Recreational mushing is for fun and exercise and takes the dog's best interests into consideration. Siberian Huskies and mixes love to run and pull. Done in the right way, it is not harmful to the dog, but taking it to an extreme kills and brutalizes the dogs. The Iditarod race isn't anything like the 1925 Anchorage to Nome run to deliver diptheria serum which it's supposed to "honor". The serum run was to save lives. This race does nothing but provide "entertainment" and make money for a lot of people, from the mushers to the tourist-related businesses. During the 1925 serum run, the serum was actually moved by train for over half the distance and then by dogs, but in relays with only a few dogs going more than a 100 mile stretch. The Iditarod runs the dogs 1,150 miles in a time of between 9 and 14 days over land that is way more grueling and harsh than what was run for the serum delivery. Many of the mushers who participate in this brutal race raise their dogs in conditions not unlike what we see in typical "puppy mills". The dogs live in poor conditions and aren't given the human contact that they should have. They spend their entire lives outsides, tied on short metal chains, usually no longer than 3 or 4 feet, attached to stakes. Sometimes a hundred puppies are born in a year, yet some kennels only have around 100 dogs total. Where do the ones who don't "make the cut" as a top sled dog go? Some may be sold, but there is a well-accepted practice called "culling" -- unwanted dogs are killed, as well as older and/or slower dogs. Proponents claim that the information on some websites opposed to the race are exaggerated. Possible. But writers from USA Today Sports and Fox, among many others, have gone on the record and spoken out about the conditions and the race documenting deaths and abuse. If you aren't familiar with many of the facts that the public doesn't hear about the Iditarod, or the race in general, visit The Sled Dog Action Coalition Support their work to protect the sled dogs from this horrendous abuse and death." http://www.hillsidespca.com/iditarod.htm I'm just sayin'... Google "iditarod humane" below. There's always 2 sides to a story: Here is a link that might be useful: Iditarod Humane?
    ...See More
  • dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Go to Europe. It will be much more educational than Iditarod.

• socks
    15 years ago

Linda, Gemini, where do you get this information, that the animals are abused? Your sources?

Jodi, choose Europe. Lots more to see and do, physically more comfortable. You've seen Alaska, and unless you have an avid interest in the Iditarod, Europe will be the better choice.

• socks
    15 years ago

Linda, GEmini--I googled and found that indeed the SPCA says the dogs are abused. I'm so surprised to learn this. I have visited one of the racer's home and saw the dogs tethered, but they are exercised regularly. It never occurred to me that this was considered abusive.

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

There are two points of view about the husky abuse. I am of the belief that many, many of the dogs are. There are many article online... here's one.
    This is from Wikipedia.

Criticism from animal rights groups

Animal protection activists say that the Iditarod is not a commemoration of the 1925 serum delivery. The race was originally called the Iditarod Trail Seppala Memorial Race in honor of Leonhard Seppala. According to statements made by Iditarod co-founder Dorothy Page, the media perpetuated the false notion that the race was established to honor the drivers and dogs who carried the serum.[8] Animal protection activists also say that the Iditarod is dog abuse, and therefore it is not an adventure or a test of human perseverance. They are also critical of the race because dogs have died and been injured during the race. The practice of tethering dogs on short chains, which is commonly used by mushers in their kennels, at checkpoints and dog drops, is also criticized. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals spokesperson Jennifer O'Connor says, "We're totally opposed to the race for the cruelty issues associated with it".[4] The ASPCA said, "General concerns arise whenever intense competition results in dogs being pushed beyond their endurance or capabilities," according to Vice President Stephen Zawistowski.[4] Dr. Paula Kislak, President of the Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights, who practices veterinary medicine in California, has been very critical of the care the dogs receive.

On May 18, 2007, the Iditarod Trail Committee Board of Directors announced that they had suspended Ramy Brooks for abusing his sled dogs. The suspension is for the 2008 and 2009 races, and following that Brooks would be on probation for 3 years. [9]

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia....Iditarod

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should probably mention that one of the reasons I want to see the Iditarod at some point in my life, is because my great-great grandmother was involved in the beginning of the original reason for the intercontinental dogsled trek back when the diphtheria epidemic hit her village near Nome back in the 1920s.

I've actually seen more of Europe than Alaska so that would not really be a determining factor. Nor would comfort level. I love the cold (hey, I'm part Eskimo, what can I say? :-) But trying to figure out which of the three trips to take this year is the problem. If there is more to see in Anchorage and Wasilla (other than the Palin family), then I might choose that over, let say, Tuscany or a bike ride in Spain.

And I meant to say right up front to please try not to start any battles about the treatment of the dogs. From my research, they are well taken care of, they are bred for and love what they do. And, you and I are not going to change a long-standing Alaska tradition by not attending the Iditarod.

Any info on what to do while in Anchorage or Wasilla would be very welcome though.

Jodi-

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

Jodi...background sounds interesting and you're certainly right about things not changing. I just gave my gut reaction to your question of which trip to pick... and my reasoning.... which of course is not everyone's.
    I can't imagine spending 7 March days (or any month) in Alaska...except maybe on a cruise ship. LOL.

• magic_arizona
    15 years ago

ITALY, ITALY, ITALY!

Sorry, that is the one place I want to go before I die.

That said, there is a lady that posts over on the Hot topics forum from Wasilla (I'm pretty sure it's Wasilla),
    named Igloochick. Maybe you could ask over there.

On second thought, I will go over there and ask her to come over here!

• vicki_lv_nv
    15 years ago

Easy choice for me...I would choose the Iditarod. I have watched it many times on tv...and have been fascinated. Of course, Alaska has always been on the top of the list of places I have wanted to visit.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL and here I am at Magic's request.

First of all, that wikepedia article is pure crap, from beginning to end, aside from the suspension listed...people treat these dogs like the champs they are, and if found to do otherwise, it's seriously dealt with. The race was begun in honor of the diptheria run so many years ago.

Ok I'm not from Wasilla...but I can see Sarah from my back yard (if she's skating on the lake) :OP I live in Anchorage.

Iditerod week is crazy fun here :O) The miners and trappers ball is one of the largest costume parties in the US. I've take top prizes in a few categories...we work on this stuff for a whole year LOL

We tend to have events daily during the week. You'll want to check out the official website for details there. The ice sculpture carving is a hoot to watch, and fireworks in twenty below weather is an experience you won't forget (cuz the frost bite will remind you LOL)

What to do during the week...well if the race does not fill you with goodies, you could go to Homer and see a very large population of eagles that congrigate there due to the canneries. Spend the night on the spit (theres a nice hotel there). Winter on the beach is actually lovely. You'll want to hit the little tavern on the spit as well (it looks like a little light house). It's a great chat spot with both locals and tourists (who do come in the winter).

On your way home, be sure to enjoy a full day drive along Turnigan arm. It will be frozen but it's still beautiful.

While in Anchorage, be sure to visit the Native Heritage Center, a gorgeous property dedicated to the history of your ancestors. I take everyone there who visits. Plan on half a day for that and be sure to take in some dancing.

Let's see, dinner must be had at Jens Restaurant in Anchorage (don't let the location throw you...we do things funky here...it's in a strip mall in mid town. It's the best food in Anchorage, definately five star, but you don't have to dress five star (though late at night you'll see the bar invaded by prom dressed matrons and possibly costumed freaks...we all go there after a "Do" for drinks and dancing). Jen is the cranky and often drunk guy who owns the joint. You'll know him by his effusive greeting (always proper unless you know him) and the white chef's coat and crazy glasses.

You must also try to take in dinner at Marx Bros Cafe (on 3rd street) but reservations are required. The cesear salad is the best in the world (I've traveled the world and can testify to this in court if I must). Van (owner) is a short curly headed guy who runs his restaurant like a lovely drunk nome knome? little elf :oP Really, the food and the atmosphere are great, but you must have salad. The wine list at both of these places is world class, but cheaper at Jens.

Drive up to Wasilla and see the northern lights (you can see them here as well normally at that time of year, but you could make a fun trip of it). You want to get the heck out of Wasilla as quickly as possible...the food is crap, the hotels are crap, and the mayor is annoying...no wait former mayor (the new one is probably fine).

Corsair in Anchorage is also a very fun and intimate place for dinner. We eat at these three often. If Phil is open out at Turnigan house (I think he opens Valentines weekend) do go there on your Turnigan drive day. We eat there regularly (We'll be the short couple at the bar talking up the bartender Jimmie). Jimmie's wife will be serviing you most likely...we had our wedding dinner there and always take a limo out with a group from the office as well, plus we eat there almost constantly.

Ever driven through a mountain? It's a great day trip to go to Whittier through the mountain tunnel (which is shared with a train).

Nome can be visited as well, but at that time of year you'd need to have made reservations a year in advance.

Tuscany or Anchorage....gad I'd go to Tuscany, but then I live here LOL You have history here my dear, and while it's lovely in the summer, it's fabulous in the winter during the holiday (the race is bigger than Christmas for us LOL) I think, given your heritage, I'd choose Alaska in the winter of all things. Bring a very warm coat, gloves, hat and scarf. It could be 40 below at race time. But do come...it's the experience of a lifetime. Tuscany will wait.

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

"I can't imagine spending ...any month in Alaska."

I can. I spent part of a summer there with my parents when I was a girl, and it was beyond exciting. We drove all the way up from Chicago, including the length of the 1500 mile gravel Alcan Highway. We visited Valdez and that large bay, Anchorage, spent time in the Matanuska Valley (now called the Mat-Su), looking at their amazing agricultural products (lol, but they are amazing), spent a week in an isolated ranger's cabin at the foot of Mt. McKinley (not possible to do that any more), drove to Fairbanks and spent considerable time in that area. From there we drove to Circle, where we accompanied a native Indian in his fishing boat as he checked his fishing wheels. Then he took us to his home camp to meet his family and allowed me to play with the sled dog puppies. From Circle we hired a bush pilot to fly us over the Arctic Circle to Fort Yukon. Throughout the trip, both in the Yukon Territory and in Alaska, we saw moose, deer, caribou, bears, eagles, and we met the most friendly and kindly people.

Alaska is the most magnificent state in the Union, and one of the most stunning places in the world. Last spring I checked hotels in Nome, with the pretty much hopeless dream of dragging DH all the way out there, and was astonished to find "no vacancies" going out for a year.

Go, Jodi. It's almost a family obligation, and Igloochic has given you some tremendous suggestions for celebrating!

• magic_arizona
    15 years ago

Well geez! After Igloochicks and Sables post, I might have to change my vote.

Go to the Iditerod Jody. It sounds like a great time.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Sable, what a great gift your parents gave you!!! My parents took me to Disneyland when I was a girl. LOL

Hey Magic thanks for dragging Igloochic over here! I've been a fan of hers for awhile now at the Kitchen Forum.

iChic, now *that's* what I'm talkin' about! A local's list of hot spots in a frozen city!

I'm the gal at the Kitchens Forum. who started the Jeffrey Court Fire & Ice craze. :^) And I feel like I've been to your house with your wild cabinet pulls, roosters and incredible view from the photos you've posted! And I have certainly enjoyed your Palin commentaries on the Conversation side and followed the health saga of your DS.

I just visited Homer (downtown and the spit) in April of this year along with Kodiak and Sitka. I've even posted a few pictures here at the KT of the old Salty Dawg Saloon including a closeup of my dollar bill stuck to a post with "Antarctica to Alaska 2008" written on it. Look for next time you're there. ;-) When I was at the Salty Dawg I struck up a conversation with a native Inupiat, the tribe my ancestors are from. I had so much fun talking to her.

Even if I don't go to the race (though you've certainly revved my engines), my travel friend will be going and all of your info will be put to good use. She has book her flight and has reservations at the Anchorage Grand Hotel.

I'm curious, do you know the name Greg Wilkinson? He was the morning DJ on KWHL. He's an old high school friend and left KWHL to be a spokesman for the Alaska State Troopers. You may have seen him on the news.

Mind if I check back with you if I have any more Iditarod questions?

Jodi-

• littledog
    15 years ago

I'd certainly vote to go watch the Big Dogs run...

• cherbo
    15 years ago

Oooh, I've been to Alaska only once and would love to go back there anytime if I could afford to.

• doxiemom
    15 years ago

I lived in Anchorage for 7 years. I would love to be able to move back there. I felt more at home there than any other place my husband was stationed--this from a Cajun from south Louisiana. We traveled all over AK when we lived there--it is an amazing place. Sheila

• diane_sw_mich
    15 years ago

My Uncle lived in Anchorage for many, many years. 20-30 years, I'm guessing. He was a pilot and hunting and fishing guide. Had his own plane. He just up and moved to Arkansas (sp? doesn't look right to me) and remarried.

• karla_ak
    15 years ago

I have.
    Hi Jodi. If you remember me from years ago, I am still in Wasilla, so let me know if you come this way - I'll buy lunch.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Karla, of course I remember you! We were holiday exchange partners weren't we? I will be sure to look you up if I get there.

Jodi-

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Jodi I'm happy to help if you have any questions, be sure to smack me aside the head in another forum to find me if necessary. I have been here for ten years after taking a two year commission with the bank I was working at. I swore I'd do my two years and never come back, and here I sit....we love it. Even when we buy the new house for DS (health reasons require we move him) we'll still keep the lake house to come back for the summer.

lindakathy, I'm sorry you've chosen to limit your horizons to such a narrow scope that you are reduced to the internet for data and haven't been able to experience it in reality. I understand not wanting to visit a place, but please don't denegrate it's history using wikipedia as a reliable source. There's a reason it's not allowed as a source for college documents...it's quite unreliable. Alaska is a beautiful place, with something for everyone, from trees and water to fabulous dining and theatre (the oil industry bring the money and the actors follow) :O) Have you ever hiked up a glacier and chipped your own ice for martinis? Or exerpienced the utter calm of a remote graveyard a thousand years old? Or seen the First Citizens dance? Flown through the snow on a dog sled? Or slid off a runway because the mud is thick :) How about being snowed into a remote village, unable to be reached by plane and have to spend the night on the chiefs couch? Surrounded by elders who allow you the great honor of adding a bead to a brides hide dress???? Alaska has been all of this and more to me, and can be to anyone who has a real interest in learning about the world. I'll always treasure the time I've spent here. More so than Germany, England, France, Italy, etc...this place is amazing in all ways possible.

LOL I can't believe I couldn't remember the salty dawg :) I know the joint well but the name just wasn't coming to me. Homer in the winter is a totally different place, and well worth the visit if you love eagles or just a wonderful stormy night.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Madly waving at Karla!
    Here's pic of Karla and me, after having reindeer hot dog for lunch in Alaska.

Karla is such a dear. She met me at our hotel, and drove me around Anchorage.
    A delightful person, indeed, Karla is!

• karla_ak
    15 years ago

Hi Glenda. Geez, I am jealous of your most recent trip, especially with the thermometer reading -17 right now.

Jodi, we weren't holiday partners, but I sent a newspaper article about Sinrock Mary. I thought of you when I was at the UAF museum this fall and saw a Sinrock Mary display. Have you seen it?

Everything Igloochic has said about Alaska is true (except she hangs out at classier joints than I.) I don't post much on this forum any more, but I'd love to meet any KT members who come this way.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glenda, I do remember that you and Karla met up when you were in Alaska a few years ago. You posted a photo of the two of you in front of the restaurant you ate at. I also remember being very jealous that you got to meet her.

Karla, thank you for reminding me how we were connected. Your comment about the Sinrock Mary display reminded me that a few months ago I got an email from a museum (can't remember which one) telling me they were going to be doing a special exhibit on the Women of Alaska and wanted to know if I would lend them some memorabilia on Sinrock Mary. It was either a very busy time at work or I was traveling the world (can't remember which) and never responded to them and had forgotten about it until I read your question about the UAF museum. I'll have to go back and check my old emails to see who it came from.

Igloochic, I'll probably get back in touch with you sometime in the next month or so and ask more questions. I am currently out of town (Palm Springs) for New Years and probably won't be able to check back here for a few days.

Happy New Years my friends!

Jodi-

• okwriter
    15 years ago

...please don't denegrate it's history using wikipedia as a reliable source...

THANK YOU! I typed the same sentiment in a similar post this morning---and then deleted it---because I didn't state it nearly as tactfully. :-)

• golfergrrl
    15 years ago

I was going to let it all drop, but since you brought it up again, I'll show another source. There are many. Here's an article written by the Humane Society of the US after the movie "Snow Dogs" was released. There is a huge difference between mushing around the neighborhood and running the dogs over 1000 miles...as fast as you can. I'll still contend that the Iditarod race is not a good thing...if you're a husky.

"The HSUS is also concerned about the message Snow Dogs conveys about the Iditarod Sled Dog Race, a one to two-week-long extreme endurance race that begins this year on Saturday, March 2 in Anchorage and will end more than 1,000 miles later in Nome. Mushing can be a wonderful way to exercise and bond with huskies; however, the Iditarod's extreme physical and psychological stress on the dogs and the dangerous conditions of the race have resulted in at least one canine death during nearly every Iditarod race, with some years' death tolls reaching five or six dogs. During its 29 years, at least 114 dogs have died in the Iditarod.

Despite the fact that canine Iditarod competitors face mortality rates that would be unacceptable for human competitors and often experience abuse, neglect, and culling (killing of non-competitive pups) during the remainder of the year," says Sodergren, "Snow Dogs treats extreme endurance sled dog racing in a light-hearted manner, sending the wrong message to audience members about this inhumane sport."

• ilmbg
    15 years ago

I can't tell that I have been to the race in person- but I have 2 friends who are experienced in one way or another with the race.
    First person is a friend- she was my surgery partner. She is a dog lover- takes correct care of her animals. Her brother was either the boyfriend or was engaged to the winner of several years ago-4 times- Susan Butcher. My friend was up there several times, and was amazed at the absolute devotion and care that Susan gave her animals.
    The second friend is also a fellow nurse- she and her husband raced dogs here in Wyoming- then moved to Anchorage because she and her husband wanted to race more intensely. I knew exactly how this friend and husband took care of their dogs- they were good friends, and were did alot together with the dogs. After they moved to Alaska, they told me how dedicated almost all of the mushers are- thier dogs come first.
    There will always be a bad apple in any group.
    Do you believe that the Olympics are bad? There have been horses lost in the Olympics- the compitition is extremely strenuous, and sometimes injuries happen or a cardiac abnormalty will cause death that the very well taken care of horses had that the Team was not aware of. I do agree that maybe the Olympic course could be less strenuous.
    PETA is not a group that makes much sense. They don't think that ANY animal should be a pet- they don't even think that a dog or cat should be on a leash, be owned by a human- NOTHING. I guess they would rather have dogs and cats run wild, getting hit by cars, starving, reproducing at will. They are overboard. I agree with not using animals for testing if possible- especially for cosmetic makeup.
    Anyway- from what I have learned from both of my friends, the race is well monitored- there are mandatory rests, vet checks, and a van that follows them to take a dog out of the race if it appears too tired or ill to race.
    If mushers treat thier dogs badly at home, that is a reflection of the owner/musher- not the ideals of the race. Did you know that the Iditerod is the only race that having the dogs wear leather booties is mandatory? Being in the atmoshere of the race, and being able to follow the race would be great. If you are dressed right, you are warm. I just went through 2 weeks of temps down to -19 below, and was never cold, as we are dressed for it.
    Either place you choose to go will be a wonderful adventure- why can you go to the get-together in Italy this year and go to Alaska next year? I would not want to miss either.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update.

I have booked my flight to Anchorage, leaving Los Angeles on March 3rd, returning home on March 9th. The Wells Fargo Musher's Banquet is on March 5th and the race begins on March 7th.

I'm traveling with two other women, one I just recently met and the gal I traveled to Antarctica, Argentina, Japan, Russia and Alaska with in the couple two years. At the banquet on March 5th, we'll be sitting at a musher's table, one that one of the gals I'm traveling with knows. We're all staying at the Anchorage Grand Hotel which I am told is 2 blocks from the starting line.

I'm getting very excited, but I have a feeling it is going to be far colder in Alaska in the winter than Antarctica was in the summer. I have some serious shopping to do to prepare. REI, here I come!

Jodi-

• sable_ca
    15 years ago

How wonderful! Have a fantastic time and please, please let us hear all about it when you return home. And take pictures!

Remember the opening lines from "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon"?

"On, King! On, you huskies!" My favorite radio program.

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Sounds fantastic!

I have a new friend who has just moved to my area from Anchorage.

• socks
    15 years ago

Jodi, here are couple Iditarod books you might enjoy:

Winterdance by Gary Paulsen

Cold Hands Warm Heart by Jeff King (has won Iditarod 4 times)

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Socks, thanks for the note. I actually bought Winterdance this last weekend but hadn't heard of Cold Hands Warm Heart. I'll check it out.

Jodi-

• deemarie5500
    15 years ago

I visited Alaska in 2005 and absolutely loved it. We are returning next year with my sister and DBIL. It's a must-see experience.

Not only is the land spectacular, but the people I met there were beautiful inside and out!

Enjoy!
    Dee

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

It's wonderful meeting and knowing people who are, " ... beautiful inside and out".

Let's make a real effort to become more fully that way ourselves ... and encourage others to become more like that, too.

Sounds like a good (if belated) New Year's resolution!

I hope that some of your great dreams get realized, this year. And that, just possibly, you hatch another one or two!

ole joyful