SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

What Would You Like For Christmas

I know there are many that would give anything to have some things changed in their lives, but that can not always be. However, if you could choose some material gift, what would it be? I would like a very nice camera and sense enough to know how to use it.

Sue

Comments (63)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I already got my Christmas gift, well it is for both of us, we got new leather lazboy furniture that is so comfortable I never want to get out of it. And I got the cusineart griddler. Have had the new furniture for only a week and am so glad we decided to bite the bullet and do that. Should last us for a very long time.

I got a Cannon digital camera a couple years ago for Christmas and really have enjoyed it, I never use the software that comes with the cameras or the cables I much prefer to use a memory card reader and just take the card from the camera and move the pics directly from it to the pc so easy and works with any camera and memory card. The memory card reader I have plugs into the usb and cost under $10. That way no extra software loaded on my pc. Mine is much like this one, prices vary on these things widely, never had a problem with the one I got.
    Memory Card Reader/Writer

• Kathsgrdn
    13 years ago

A few bras that fit. About 6 months ago I bought two new ones from Victoria Secrets and now they are falling apart. Underwire kept poking out hurting like heck so I kept sewing them back up with hemming stuff (can't remember the name of it). Finally I just gave up and pulled the wire out completely of another...making the bra not work...everything falls out now! Two days later the other one had one of the underwires break in half. I have no idea how that happened.

So, I am wearing my old, junky bras that are so uncomfortable and bad fitting. I don't want to buy new ones because I plan on losing weight soon.

Oh, and on the non-material side, I'd like just one day where I didn't have to do a single solitary thing. I'm exhausted.

• Related Discussions

What plant do you like more than you thought you would?

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm a simple soul when it comes to flowers. I primarily grow vegetables with a few marigolds and zinnias mixed in for interest. This year I grew and was thrilled with the petunias, cosmos, datura and variegated nicandra. I would have never thought to grow them if it weren't for the generous people here.
    ...See More

Would like a living Christmas Tree in my Zone

Q

Comments (11)
    We are very worried about fires here in So CA, and most of us take precautions with major irrigation lines. We do have great water pressure, and huge valves turn on sprinklers down our ravine and halfway up the other hill on our property. We live on a hill full of rocks and native brush, and we keep 30' cleared around our property. The 9 existing pines are pretty big. We bought this property in January, and it was a mess! Neglected for many years. Overgrown with rotting decks. We have cleared a lot of brush and are mainly planting fruit trees and a vineyard. There is a seasonal stream at the bottom of our hill, and we may put a pine or two down there. I think the ones we have are volunteers. They do have irrigation with a drip system and it does work, and a few have too many dry leaves. I'll get your expert opinions on what could be wrong. We were laughing this morning. We went out and took photos so you can ID our pines, and now I don't know which cones belong to which trees. There are some differences. Some have 11" long needles, and others have 3 or 4" needles. They are in groves, so it's hard to know which cone came from which tree. Thanks for your concern about the fires. There was a huge one on the mountain across from us with many evacuations this summer. Idyllewild. Maybe you heard about it. They saved the resort, but a lot of acres burned. Suzi
    ...See More

Do you have a Christmas tree stand you like?

Q

Comments (2)
    Gee Grama, That's what I was going to say. Use small pieces of wood between each screw and the tree trunk. They'll grip the tree, as the screws dig in, and they should hold the tree up nice and straight. I still prefer my 1927 heavy Cast Iron Lighted Noma Tree Stand. It's white and on the sides it has holly and poinsettias. The old C6 lights go in each piece of holly and each poinsettia, 8 lights total, and the base had a double outlet for me to plug the tree's lights into. And of course the stand itself has a plug going into the wall. I've had to rewire it, and put in new sockets to make it safer, but it works great. Even with the artificial tree I use now. Everyone comments on it. And when I tell them it's from 1927, they can't believe it! Ken
    ...See More

Christmas wreath on hood? Did you, would you?

Q

Comments (17)
    with the amount of activity and mountain of details that goes into a kitchen remodel is is easy to loose perspective: we are very fortunate to be able to do the kinds of kitchen projects we are talking about in today's economy. yesterday's reminder for me: i had a lovely thanksgiving with friends. one guest at the dinner has been unemployed for two years. he has depleted all of his savings and was weeks away from having to list his beloved house for sale. thankfully he has just received a job offer and begins in january. his kids will need to go to state schools as the college fund was also spent to keep the roof over their head. he is tremendously talented and well deserving of this job and it is shocking and scary it took so long for such a talented individual to find work. we are lucky to be able to debate where to put the holiday wreath... these are problems of abundance. wherever you put it i am sure it will look lovely.
    ...See More
  • nodakgal
    13 years ago

Not really sure its a material gift here, but I would love a pup.
    I think I am ready for a puppy. Its only been 2 months since I lost my sweet,beautiful,smart doxie. Miss really was the love of my life. I will never ever forget that sweet good natured little girl. But I think I would like another and am ready.
    I know I won't get one though, for at least 2 reasons, maybe 3.
    1) it is so stinking cold (I mean bitter cold, way below zero temps) it would be terribly hard to try and get a baby to go potty outside.
    2) We have Mac the chihuahua ( AKA Mr Grouchy) and are now keeping Buddy, my Washington sisters Chihuahua for at least a month, maybe 2 til she can get moved back into my state.
    3) DH isn't sure he is ready.
    *sigh*

• bigfoot_liz
    13 years ago

quick hijack for the camera girls... check out the Eye Fi SD card at B & H Photo or amazon you can wirelessly transmit pics from your camera to a laptop or even TV. it's on my shopping list for myself this holiday ~ liz

• User
    13 years ago

My house unpacked, and free paint to decorate the base coat over....actually if I wait until the summer the nearby small city has a recycle (free) - you take in your used/unused paint and folk can come in and take what they need. Saves landfill.

Other than that - sleep right now.

One xmas gift I always ask for and enjoy to pieces is a bubble bath set. Never waste those.

I just got a new home built, new appliances and finally living on my dream land we've held onto for 15 years.

I can't ask for more than that. I feel truly blessed and for xmas I just have to start putting bows on everything, including the front door.

Great thread,
    Cheers,
    Peggy

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

A million bucks....naw, $100,000 will do.

• vala55
    13 years ago

Sean Connery.

• User
    13 years ago

I know I'm getting a Canon G12 from my husband. He's horrible at keeping secrets............ I need something for my purse because my DSLR is too big to lug around.

Maybe next year, he'll actually surprise me with something. He ruins my surprise every year..... That's my wish.

• vicki_lv_nv
    13 years ago

Stuff. Stuff for my Jeep. That's all I want. Since it has to be material, that's what I want. I can't have a pony since the HOA says no. LOL

• acey
    13 years ago

I am in the fortunate position of only needing slippers from Santa this year! But would love Peace...I mean, real world Peace.

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Need new living room furniture. My boss will give me a generous bonus that I will use to buy it and he just bought me a kindle. But what I would really like is just a bit of time with my mom.

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

A friend bought me an airline ticket to come to NYC for 6 days over New Years. What more could I want?
    Tomorrow I am going to Staples to buy myself a Cannon camera that is on sale. I have 2 cameras and neither one works.

• danihoney
    13 years ago

DH refuses to give me anything "functional" and it drives me nuts. I rarely ask for anything. I don't want luxury items. Other than a good camera, I have no use for them. What I want is one of those things I can soak my tired feet in, and a new hand mixer. Mine is about 17 years old. I've asked /sugested for two years and DH says "no way". I'd also like a light weight vacuum to keep upstairs but that's out of the question. Last year I got an IPhone to replace the iPhone I got for my birthday in May. When I opened it DH said " Now I can have your old one." After all these years I think he doesn't know me at all.

What I really want for Christmas is for my boys to be small again. I miss them so much. (They're teenagers now. It's not as fun)

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I'd like to get my garage in order. I use it mostly for
    storage and would like to really get it organized. I also want to get my plumbing fixed for my washer I haven't used it in over a year it began leaking from a pipe in the wall and the estimates to fix it scared me I think I'm about ready to tackle it once my garage is cleaned up

• jel48
    13 years ago

Maybe a remote car starter or some sort of vacuum food saver system.

Less realistically, a big kitchen with lots of storage and counter space!

• fran1523
    13 years ago

Well let's see. Material things would include a full time gardener/landscaper to get this yard in shape, a bathroom remodel and a new patio door. What I'd really like is for my 32 and 33 year old DDs to find some kind of relationships that would make and keep them happy.

• two25acres
    13 years ago

I'd love to have my moisturizers and night creams from Estee Lauder, just can't justify the cost right now. Country Sunshine, shopgoodwill always has new microscopes come up, maybe take a look there. Kathsgrdn, I have a real hard time with bras and have found the ones at her room to be quite comfortable. Pricey but they last.

• dances_in_garden
    13 years ago

Oh, I'm not afraid to ask for material things LOL!

Let's see:

-iPad
    -Digital Camera (mine was stolen)
    -New cordless phones (the battery packs on ours are all dying and I can't find replacements any more)
    -AllinOne Computer with touch screen. Or a new laptop.
    -Gift certificates for a hot stone massage.
    -Gift certificates for a pedicure
    -Starbucks gift card so I can get my yearly gingerbread latte.
    -A new PVR that lets us watch one station while recording on another.
    -A vitamix blender. That thing can blend rocks.
    -a cargo shelf for my PT Cruiser.

Oh, and world peace.

Dances.

• angelaid
    13 years ago

Costco gift card so I can stock the pantry and freezer back up.

• sue_va
    13 years ago

Just one thing.

Flannel pajamas with feet! I would give them to myself.

Only ones I've seen were $60. Bahumbug.

Not doing that.

Sue

• danihoney
    13 years ago

Hahaha @ Dances

Yeah that too, a hot stone massage and world peace!

• kathy_
    13 years ago

"my family looks at me like a one eyed donkey staring at a gate post" That is a new saying to me - lolol!
    I would like a Sprint Nextel phone with a keyboard that is text friendly. I don't need a smart phone, but would like a keyboard that doesn't take 5 pushes to get the letter I want.
    Sean Connery?? I have one old bald man - definitely don't need another one.

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I don't need many materials things, but I would really like an external hard drive.

• Charlee_MO
    13 years ago

Uh a housekeeper? lol

• sue_va
    13 years ago

Kay, I should have mentioned that I want two piece pajamas. They are all one piece.

Thanks for searching though,

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    13 years ago

What I would love most for Christmas would be to have my daughter in my arms. Since that can't happen right now, I wish for jobs for both my daughter and her husband. I don't need any material things.

• casey_nfld
    13 years ago

I've asked for a lovely framed print of one of my favourite lighthouses and I have a feeling I'll be getting it.

If I could have anything else it would be a heated towel rack for the bathroom.

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

Okay I am going to be really materialistic and wish for something big - a Lexus van or something similar, maybe one by Cadillac.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

any or every thing except the fur coat!
    (can't beat Eartha Kitt for that good old Christmas spirit!)

Santa baby, just slip a sable under the tree, for me
    Been an awful good girl
    Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Santa baby, a '54 convertible too, light blue
    I'll wait up for you dear Santa baby, so hurry down the chimney tonight

Think of all the fun I've missed
    Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed
    Next year I could be just as good
    If you'd check off my Christmas list
    Boo doo bee doo

Santa baby, I wanna yacht and really that's
    Not a lot
    Been an angel all year

Santa honey, one thing I really do need, the deed
    To a platinum mine

Santa cutie and fill my stocking with a duplex, and checks
    Sign your 'X' on the line
    Santa cutie, and hurry down the chimney tonight

Come and trim my Christmas tree
    With some decorations bought at Tiffany
    I really do believe in you
    Let's see if you believe in me
    Boo doo bee doo

Santa baby, forgot to mention one little thing, a ring
    I don't mean on a phone
    Hurry down the chimney tonight
    Hurry ... tonight

• ghoghunter
    13 years ago

I'm asking Santa for a nice electric fondue pot! Then when my daughter and her family come to visit we can have a chocolate fondue dessert! It will be a fun thing for the Grand children too!
    Joann

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

I can't think of anything material. If I want it I buy it.

Nodakgal.......if you go out and get a puppy and bring it home, I guarantee your husband will be ready. Don't ask, just do it. It won't be anything like your little guy that is gone but will have its own fun personality. Each fur baby offers its own great qualities.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Hi Sue VA,

How be you open up the sewing machine and make some for yourself?

Son's lady made me a set of lunging bottoms (the easy part) ...

... that was supposed to be "lounging"!

Hi McPeg,

Sure great to hear from you - haven't seen a post from you in ages. Lovely to see you back.

What do I want?

Well, the neighbours gave me a pair of slip-on slippers about five years ago and the plastic sole is giving out at the heel, so I could use some replacements.

And - one of those floating-blade potato peelers.

Don't need anything else, that I can think of.

Daughter was up from AZ for a few days and we had Christmas on Sunday. I got the other three underwear briefs, of which they'd given me one last year, on the understanding that I bring in an old one to trade, at which time I'd get another.

Since most of them were intact, except for an elastic waistband that had got old and large enough to go round some old guys' bellies(but not mine - they'd slip down around my knees), I found it hard to decide which one(s!) to part with!

Guess I out-waited them.

ole joyfilled

• donna_loomis
    13 years ago

Enough yarn and knitting needles to last me the rest of my life (and enough life left in me to use it all up!).

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Don't *need* anything but would love to be surprised with a Tang horse statue for my very modest collection.

Wouldn't mind getting a Kindle. I know DH asked the kids to go in together to get one for me but I wrote them and asked them to get it for DH. Won't he be surprised! (hope he doesn't read this). I still have plenty of real books in my 'to be read' pile to keep me busy for another year or two.

Jodi-

• donna_loomis
    13 years ago

Jodi, how much you wanna bet that you both get Kindles? Let us know.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

(((jamie))) I know this is an extra-hard time of the year for you

If it has to be something material, I would like a kindle. But,DH got laid off 11/4, so we're only doing what we can for the grandkids.

• Holly_ON
    13 years ago

I also would like a kindle just so I could keep it in my purse. Do a lot of reading on my iPad but it is too big/heavy to carry around. If Santa doesn't bring it, I will understand as there is a new, fully paid for SUV in the driveway. DH retires and the company car lease was up.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago

OJ - you and your underwear stories never fail to make me laugh! LOL

• alisande
    13 years ago

This is a fun thread to read. Sylvia, I love that song. Kellie Pickler does a nice job with it, too.

Old Gardener, Newegg.com often has external hard drives on sale. I recently bought myself one.

My Christmas gift to myself is a rug hooking lap frame. It's being made by a man in New England who says it'll be shipped mid-January. Perfect! I paid $10 for the one I've been using for decades, so I think I got my money's worth on that one. The new one should be a lot more satisfactory.

When my son said I was hard to shop for because I have everything, I asked him for Topaz, the Photoshop plug-in that enables one to do all sorts of enhancements, some of them quite dramatic and fun. I've been intrigued with Topaz for some time.

I asked my daughter for a used laptop so I can run TV shows on Hulu.com while I'm hooking rugs in the living room. I thought her fiancee's company might have one hanging around, but she said they don't right now. I suppose eventually I'll buy a TV for the living room, but I'm not keen on the idea. They don't look cozy or rustic, and I don't have room for a rustic, cozy armoire. :-)

Oh, and I hope somebody buys me wool socks!

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

"All I want for Christmas is a Hippopotamus"
    Not any hippopotamus will do...... LOL

Does anyone remember that song?? I've heard it on the radio lately and it's cute as a button. A real young girl singing it.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Donna, how much you wanna bet neither of us get Kindles. You don't know our kids. LOL

Jodi-

• joann23456
    13 years ago

I'd love to buy a different house, but that's not in the cards. I'd love a new car, too, because I've never had a new car and don't care enough to actually spend my own money to get one.

On a lesser scale, an iPad.

And on an even lesser scale, a Kregg pocket hole jig. I may even get this one.:)

• sue_va
    13 years ago

OJ, I don't have a sewing machine any more. Sent it off to auction with a truckload of other stuff when I moved here.

Haven't really missed it. Just keep recycling my old clothes,

But not like you do your underwear!

Sue

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

Whadda ya mean, " ... recyclng ..." my underwear, you guys?

Recycling means processing it into something else that's useful.

These are just using the originals ... and using ... and using ... for quite a long spell: "re-using", you might say.

Till the elastic gets old and so tired that it's really relaxed.

The trouble was ... most of the couple of dozen or so are still intact, (well, not too many have holes), not too badly stained (and many not stained at all) and would be able to do the job ...

... if only they were up to it!

One would think that, as I'm inclined to sit quite a bit, and there are two pressure points associated with one's bum ...

... that the briefs would develop two holes, from wear. But, strange to say, and I can't figure the reason ... some tend to develop a hole in the middle of the ... back-side. Almost as though, when suffering from diarrhea, one became, "jet-propelled", shall we say ... and the cloth wasn't strong enough to withstand the pressure!

In summer, after I've been working in the garden, only occasionally working hard enough to get really sweaty ...

... I lay the just-used ones on the bed for a while to dry out, then drop the upper and lower of each on the other single bed, next to mine, with several of them, side by side, and I use each in turn again, after a few days' rest. There are a few with good elastics off to one side that I can wear when I'm going out into the civilized world.

I find that, now, as I wash the squeezy socks in the basin nightly, often I wash a pair of underwear, sometimes a shirt, occasionally pyjamas ...

... so that I seldom need to run the washer.

After ordering a couple of weeks ago, I got a third pair of squeezy knee-socks last week, as, with the rather chilly house, the ones washed in the evening hadn't got really dry by the second morning, but after I turned the heat up a bit, the two pair were drying in time. I find that the new pair are somewhat tighter, so I guess that the ones that I've been using for a few months are getting more relaxed about doing their job. What kind of a job evaluation do you think that they'll merit, next go-round?

Hope you all have an interesting, eventful and happy holiday.

I haven't asked for much: when you're past 80, and looking forward to downsizing - who needs more "stuff"?

ole joyful

• maymo
    13 years ago

I wouldn't mind it if I got a spa gift certificate! Oh, and since I still can't find the beaters to my hand mixer, new beaters would be great.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

jazdip that was one of our favorites when the boys were growing up
    Here it is on U Tube

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube - All I Want For Christmas Is A Hippopotamus

• kathi_mdgd
    13 years ago

I can't think of any material things i want.On occassion when i mention i want something,before i know it dh has gone and got it.He's always been this way,my kids have always told me i'm spoiled.LOL

What i'd really like is to get the strength back into my arms so i can keep up with my cross stitch.Havn't been able to do much of it since breast cancer 2 years ago and all the lymph node removal.

My bigges want is to have my GK'S that live up in N.Ca to move back here closer to us.They're having a hard time as there are no jobs there,the air is bad for them and their kids as it's all agricultural area.
    Kathi

• samkaren
    13 years ago

For me it's easy......300 artists photos would be nice!! Okay..i know I won't get all of them but I'm working on it!

Webpages that had current contact information would be nice too.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• bengardening
    13 years ago

maymo go into a thrift store they have all kinds of beaters thats where I got mine when I couldnt find them