SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Chemotherapy and Circadian Rhythms

alisande
15 years ago

Polarprincess's post reminded me of something I saw several years ago: a PBS special on chemotherapy research done by Cornell University. The researchers there discovered that if chemo is administered on a schedule designed around circadian rhythms (biorhythms), the chemicals are both more effective against the cancer and less toxic to the patient.

People on the documentary were leading active lives, feeling fine, with no side effects from the chemo.

The problem with the process, researchers said, is that hospitals are reluctant to custom-tailor administration of the drugs (chemicals). They like to do it at the same time for everyone because that works better into their shift schedule.

So.......the researchers devised a pump the patient can wear 24/7 that administers the drugs at the appropriate time.

I'm sure if anyone would like to explore this method and have it applied to their treatment, information can be found on the Internet. It seemed to me like something that should be looked into by cancer patients if their doctors haven't already done so.

Susan

Comments (6)